MicroWarriors Releases Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Jul 25

Ships Of The Line Design Contest

Next Weekend: Shore Leave 36!

True Trek History To Be Penned

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Site Forums > TrekToday News Items

TrekToday News Items Discussion of TrekToday news items

Old August 11 2008, 09:11 PM   #1
TrekToday
Rear Admiral

Star Trek News Bullets

• IO9 reports that there is a secret about Captain Kirk's beginnings, according to Dominic Keating (Star Trek: Enterprise's Malcolm Reed.) Keating tried for a minor role in Star Trek XI which would have been James Kirk's "evil stepfather," which would seem to imply that something unfortunate happens to Kirk's father George.

• TrekMovie.com reports that the two Spocks, Leonard Nimoy and Zachary Quinto, appeared together recently at the Las Vegas official Star Trek convention. According to Nimoy, Star Trek XI is "looking quite wonderful. The writing on this film is so human, so rich and fun! A lot of humor in the movie." Quinto told fans that "If it [Star Trek XI] is done the way I think it will be done, I think hearts will be in stomachs. It is this idea of seeing these characters in a different light."

• Four news crew posters from Star Trek XI were recently released, according to the New York Post. Included in this group of four, from left to right, top to bottom: John Cho as Sulu, Simon Pegg as Scotty, Karl Urban as McCoy and Anton Yelchin as Chekov.

• 411Mania and USA Today report that the first trailer of the Star Trek Online MMO was revealed to fans at the Las Vegas Star Trek Convention recently. According to Cryptic Studio's Chief Creative Officer Jack Emmert, who was joined on stage by Leonard Nimoy, "I spent many, many Saturday afternoons watching reruns of 'Star Trek' and dreaming of its worlds," said Emmert. "Leonard Nimoy helped inspire my imagination of what mysteries the universe might in fact hold. I'd like to think that very same imagination is what fuels my desire and drive as a game designer, pushing toward creating an MMO that is the ultimate Star Trek experience."

According to Nimoy, Star Trek Online, set in the year 2409, is "very intelligently executed, but most importantly, is authentic to the whole 'Star Trek' world."

Old August 11 2008, 11:27 PM   #2
Samuel T. Cogley
Vice Admiral

Re: Star Trek News Bullets

[quote=TrekToday;1933650Keating tried for a minor role in Star Trek XI which would have been James Kirk's "evil stepfather," which would seem to imply that something unfortunate happens to Kirk's father George.[/quote]

Train wreck.
Old August 11 2008, 11:58 PM   #3
donners22
Commodore

Kirk had an evil British stepfather? I don't think I'll believe they're doing that until I see it...
Janeway: Ha! Good one, Ensign. Take us in, Mr. Paris.

http://www.fiveminute.net/voyager
Old August 12 2008, 12:16 AM   #4
Jack Bauer
Fleet Admiral

Just because a British actor auditioned for the roledoesn't mean the character is British.
Old August 12 2008, 09:30 AM   #5
Pioneer
Captain

...which would have been James Kirk's "evil stepfather"
Does this mean that there won't be an evil stepfather or just that Keating won't be playing him? I hope there's no "evil stepfather". I hope this new movie doesn't "nuke the fridge".
Looking to build Element #137 (Feynmanium)
Old August 12 2008, 07:27 PM   #6
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

Jack Bauer wrote: View Post
Just because a British actor auditioned for the roledoesn't mean the character is British.
Not following Disney Rules? Maybe his evil stepfather's name is Scar.
Old August 12 2008, 11:58 PM   #7
Pensive
Fleet Captain

View Pensive's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Pensive Send a message via Yahoo to Pensive

Pioneer wrote: View Post
Does this mean that there won't be an evil stepfather or just that Keating won't be playing him? I hope there's no "evil stepfather". I hope this new movie doesn't "nuke the fridge".
It just means DK won't be playing him.
Old August 13 2008, 01:52 AM   #8
Procutus
Admiral

I hope this new movie doesn't "nuke the fridge".

Yeah, I'm hoping that as well.
Old August 13 2008, 10:36 AM   #9
TJinPgh
Captain

How long until we find out that Kirk's evil step father was really an augmented Klingon.
Old August 13 2008, 11:48 PM   #10
Samuel T. Cogley
Vice Admiral

I'm sure that the writers wrote the part with only Keating in mind, and struck the character from the script once they coulndn't get him.

Ketaing is that good.
Old August 14 2008, 01:17 AM   #11
JonathonWally
Admiral

View JonathonWally's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to JonathonWally Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to JonathonWally

Samuel T. Cogley wrote: View Post
I'm sure that the writers wrote the part with only Keating in mind, and struck the character from the script once they coulndn't get him.

Ketaing is that good.
Damn straight.

Now, the question is, since the stepfather is evil, will he have an "evil goatee"?
Are you hearin me, like I'm hearin you?
Old August 18 2008, 10:33 PM   #12
Procutus
Admiral

JonathonWally wrote: View Post
Samuel T. Cogley wrote: View Post

Ketaing is that good.
Damn straight.

Now, the question is, since the stepfather is evil, will he have an "evil goatee"?

And would he originate in a 'mirror' universe?