You will have noticed that there's now a box to add tags to your post. You don't have to, but it can be quite a useful feature.
Tags are for defining what your post is about. Rather than a search engine saying what your post is about, you decide.
At the bottom of the forum home page now is a tag cloud -- showing how people are tagging their posts. The more of a tag, the bigger the phrase gets in the cloud.
It's a really great way to find out what's hot at the Trek BBS right now, or to find something new if you're not sure what to do.
For example the tag 'greater than the sum' is larger than some other items. If you click it, you get these results
– three topics relating to this book, but no other junk!
- Don't go tag mad. If you tag, one or two tags should be fine.
- Don't mis-tag. If you mis-represent the tags they will be removed.
- Use it it sensibly, and try to tag consistently and spell correctly.
- Tag about the thread content only. Don't put anything like your own name or other posters' name... this isn't an ego trip and we're not interested!
(We can tell who added tags, so don't abuse this nice new feature.)
If you have any questions you can post them in QSF.