Retro Review: Inter Arma Enim Silent Leges
By: Michelle on Jan 24

Urban in Aquaman?
By: T'Bonz on Jan 23

Pegg Co-writing Star Trek 3
By: T'Bonz on Jan 22

Stewart Narrated NASA Documentary
By: T'Bonz on Jan 21

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old January 13 2009, 01:53 AM   #1
Darth_Pazuzu
Rear Admiral

Just getting into Radiohead for the first time...!

I have a confession to make: I kind of missed the boat with Radiohead back in the '90s. I mean yeah, I was always familiar with Creep, because it was one of those songs the radio just played to death, but I was never all that inspired to check them out. That is, until recently! A couple months back, I picked up a copy of their recent 2-CD compilation The Best Of Radiohead and gave it a listen. It didn't really make that much of an impact on me the first time around, but I later came back to it, and after repeated listens their songs are seriously beginning to grow on me! :smile: (A lot of music's like that, y'know...)

As far as my favorite Radiohead songs, I must say that I really like the songs that come from 1995's The Bends a great deal. High And Dry and Fake Plastic Trees are especially gorgeous, and OK Computer's No Surprises is also a lovely gem. I'm not as keen on their more experimental work of the past decade, but I must say that I love How To Disappear Completely (from Kid A)! It's hauntingly, ethereally beautiful - and kind of unsettling and disturbing at the same time, much the same way a lot of Pink Floyd songs can sometimes be. (There's arguably even a certain thematic similarity with much of Floyd's '70s lyrics, in terms of being "here" and "not here" as well as the overall dystopian vibe. The Syd Barrett-era Floyd kind of feels like a touchstone as well...)
Old January 13 2009, 03:28 PM   #2
ChickenPug!
Lieutenant

Re: Just getting into Radiohead for the first time...!

It took me a bit to get into them. I never liked their first record. But now they have become one of my favorite bands. I love The Bends, Kid A, and Hail to the thief, etc, but I have to say In Rainbows has become my favorite record by them. I listen to it while I run. I love every song on it. I run a path through the woods, it is usually vacant, and it's the perfect music for that.

I had pretty much given up on music or at least finding anything new I enjoy. Thank god for Radiohead, TV on the Radio and Arcade fire, they saved it for me.

Plus how could I not love Radiohead, they have a song call "Paranoid Android".
Old January 13 2009, 04:54 PM   #3
Jono
Rear Admiral

I got into Radiohead back in 1999 when I became slightly obsessed with Karma Police. Hail to the Thief is really the only album that I haven't really got into.

On a side note I also really enjoy Thom Yorke's CD, Eraser. Great stuff on his initial solo release.
Jono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13 2009, 05:12 PM   #4
zakkrusz
Rear Admiral

I haven't heard much of them but what I have heard gives me the impression they're not for me. Of course keep in mind I'm only basing my impressions off "Paranoid Android" and a few others. Glad you like them though.
Old January 13 2009, 07:38 PM   #5
ChickenPug!
Lieutenant

rofeta wrote: View Post
I got into Radiohead back in 1999 when I became slightly obsessed with Karma Police. Hail to the Thief is really the only album that I haven't really got into.

On a side note I also really enjoy Thom Yorke's CD, Eraser. Great stuff on his initial solo release.
Forgot about that record. Heard nothing but good about it. Need to check it out.
Old January 13 2009, 07:41 PM   #6
Yoda
Rear Admiral

OK Computer is one of the best albums of all time.

I love The Bends too.

They lost me a bit with the later guitar-lite albums, but there are still a lot of great individual songs. I just can't listen to an entire album of that stuff.

They're a really good live band too.
Old January 13 2009, 08:23 PM   #7
HappyDayRiot
Commodore

The only one I've never liked is Pablo Honey.

A quick glance at the tracks on that Best Of tell me that.. .wow, they put that together well. Some excellent songs on there - gotta agree How to Disappear Completely is one of the best though!
Old January 13 2009, 08:32 PM   #8
backstept
Rear Admiral

View backstept's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to backstept Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to backstept

good music

enough has been said
Old January 13 2009, 08:33 PM   #9
Geck
Rear Admiral

They're one of my favourite bands too, and as someone else commented, excellent live. I saw them in Montreal last August and it was an outstanding show.

OK Computer is my favourite album of all time. That said, I don't love all their stuff...Amnesiac is a bit too weird in spots, and I was never able to get into Hail to the Thief either. I was glad for In Rainbows which is excellent again...and I love Yorke's solo stuff too.
Geck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13 2009, 09:49 PM   #10
CaptJimboJones
Vice Admiral

Kid A is one of my favorite rock albums of all time.
Old January 13 2009, 10:11 PM   #11
Tyre
Fleet Captain

Darth_Pazuzu wrote: View Post
I have a confession to make: I kind of missed the boat with Radiohead back in the '90s.
Heh. I actually didn't end up hearing "Creep" on the radio until 2003, but pretty soon I grew to love The Bends and (most of) OK Computer. I avoided Kid A for years until recently, and I was surprised by how much I liked it. There are a lot of people who love The Bends (their most accessible) and hate Kid A (their most experimental. Well, technically, Amnesiac is, but that's pretty much Kid A leftovers), or vice versa, while most people seem to love OK Computer. For their albums, I think:

Pablo Honey: **1/2
The Bends: *****
OK Computer: *****
Kid A: ****1/2
Amnesiac: ***1/2
Hail to the Thief: ****
In Rainbows: ****1/2

Pablo Honey has "Creep" and... uhh.... well, "Anyone can Play Guitar" and "Thinking About You" are pretty decent, but the rest of it isn't good. I think OK Computer is their best album, even if The Bends might still be my favorite. Kid A is great, with weird but fantastic songs like "The National Anthem" but pretty normal sounding ones such as "How to Disappear Completely" and "Optimistic". Amnesiac, despite having the great "Pyramid Song", "You and Whose Army", and "I Might Be Wrong" on it, overdoes the electronic experimentation. Hail to the Thief and In Rainbows try to strike compromises between Kid A and The Bends, with In Rainbows being more successful (it's my third favorite Radiohead album, actually).

My current top 10 songs:

1) Paranoid Android (from OK Computer)
2) Fake Plastic Trees (from The Bends)
3) No Surprises (from OK Computer)
4) How to Disappear Completely (And Never Be Found Again) (from Kid A)
5) Karma Police (from OK Computer)
6) All I Need (from In Rainbows)
7) There There (from Hail to the Thief)
8) Street Spirit (Fade Out) (from The Bends)
9) The National Anthem (from Kid A)
10) Videotape (from In Rainbows)
Old January 13 2009, 10:20 PM   #12
Mooch
Fleet Captain

according to my itunes I have 167 Radiohead songs. Yeah, I'm a fan.
Mooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14 2009, 03:59 PM   #13
The Great Meech
Vice Admiral

I liked Radiohead a ton when I was a teenager (I'm 21, so it's not that long ago), but I've largely stopped listening to them. I find most of the music simply too bleak. Most depressing songs seem to say "The world is bad, and this song is a plea for it to be better." Radiohead's music says "The world is bad." I decided when I was seventeen that, should I ever take my own life, it will be to the strains of No Surprises.

I've also never really understood why Kid A is so well regarded. I haven't listened to it for about four years now, but I remember thinking when I first heard it (or reading this opinion on a website and appropriating it, I can no longer remember which) that Kid A was good art but an, at best, lukewarm album.

This isn't to say that I don't think Radiohead is a great band--they are. Their music videos surpass anything else I've seen in that medium (okay, maybe not Weapon of Choice), they're musically inventive, they're intelligent, and, despite the core of rotten emotion I detect in many of their songs, I still find myself listening to the odd one (usually Jigsaw Falling Out of Place.)

Also, has anyone else heard the Easy Star All*Stars cover album Radiodread? You wouldn't think reggae versions of Radiohead's songs would work, but, alarmingly, they do. Their version of Electioneering is better than the original.
Old January 14 2009, 05:06 PM   #14
The Habs Fan
Commodore

CaptJimboJones wrote: View Post
Kid A is one of my favorite rock albums of all time.

I feel the same way about Kid A.

My least favourite Radiohead albums are Pablo Honey and Hail to the Thief. In Rainbows was a return to greatness IMO.
The Habs Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14 2009, 11:01 PM   #15
Darth_Pazuzu
Rear Admiral

Recently, I told an admittedly silly Radiohead joke, starting up an entirely new thread in order to do it! Before updating this particular thread, I thought I'd mash everything together myself:

Well, now it appears that Radiohead's new disc will be a rock opera based on a famous novel by Isaac Asimov. Anyone care to venture a guess as to what the title is??

Canadave wrote: View Post
Foundation, I hope. If so, I'm sold.
Nope.

"Aye Aye, Robot"!
(I mean, just think about it for a moment...)

Pingfah wrote: View Post
That's an incredibly poor joke.
But you did get it, I trust?

Yes, it took sometime to work my way through the layers of subtext, but I got there in the end.

FordSVT wrote: View Post
Radiohead is one of the most overrated bands in the recent history of music, and I say that as someone who likes a lot of Radiohead. Radiohead, Coldplay, Oasis: the Triad of Overrated Pretentious English Rock.

Most of their recent stuff is simply depressing and annoying. OK Computer was about the last album I truly enjoyed start to finish, but even then the EMO was starting to creep in.
Yeah, I kind of get what you're talking about when it comes to their later electronica-inspired stuff, but even on their later discs you've got some great songs like "How To Disappear Completely," "Optimistic," "Knives Out," "There There" and "Go To Sleep."

(Is it just my twisted imagination, or does Go To Sleep have a bit of a Led Zeppelin vibe to anybody else?)

I totally agree as well, Pablo Honey was a great start, showed a lot of potential. The Bends is an absolutely awesome album, one of the best British albums of the 90s, and OK Computer marked the start of a downwards spiral into pretentiousness but still an excellent album.

I also agree that there are gems on the later albums, but really they are very ponderous pieces of work indeed on the whole. I never listen to any of them, although I own all of them.
stoneroses wrote: View Post
Coldplay are more overrated than Radiohead