RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 135,699
Members: 24,208
Currently online: 779
Newest member: meshman63

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Tech

Trek Tech Pass me the quantum flux regulator, will you?

Old August 16 2008, 08:51 PM   #1
TheMadCloner
Lieutenant

Maneuvering thrusters?

Hey all, I apologize if this has been covered before, but I've always wondered about the power of Starfleet (or 23/24th century) maneuvering thrusters? Are they running off the same principle as impulse engines (but on a smaller scale), or are they driven by chemical means similar to our own space shuttles? Or are they ion based? How would they compare to current propulsion technology?

Thanks in advance for answering.
TheMadCloner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17 2008, 05:28 AM   #2
Jimmy_C
Fleet Captain

Re: Maneuvering thrusters?

Different starships could have different types of maneuvering thrusters. Just as today, chemical engines could be used for maneuvering on one spacecraft, but ion engines on another one could fulfill that purpose. That said, I think the Enterprise-D uses chemical engines for at least two of its maneuvering thrusters (as shown in the first episode with Leah Brahms in the third season of TNG). Not saying it has non-Newtonian thrusters too for maneuvering. In fact, it probably has those too for others missions, such as those that require the least amount of disturbance to the enviornment (so they can't be tracked, not to contaminate a target, etc).
Old August 17 2008, 03:49 PM   #3
Forbin
Admiral

Some fannon sources call them particle beam thrusters. But that alweays sounded kinda dangerous to me. I'm guessing good ol' chemical reaction rockets.
Forbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17 2008, 10:26 PM   #4
Ronald Held
Rear Admiral

I believed they were akin to chemical propulsion with limiting speeds of a few thousand km/hour, if used for decidcated vessel propulsion.
Ronald Held is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18 2008, 01:48 AM   #5
Unicron
Continuity Spackle

Send a message via ICQ to Unicron

Particle beam thrusters? Never heard that one before. I have seen references to the RCS (reaction control system, IIRC).

"My dream is to eat candy and poop emeralds. I'm halfway successful."

Catbert, Evil Director of Human Resources
Unicron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18 2008, 09:14 PM   #6
Forbin
Admiral

Unicron wrote: View Post
Particle beam thrusters? Never heard that one before.
Aridas uses that in Ships of the Star Fleet.
Forbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19 2008, 08:56 AM   #7
Timo
Admiral

He also postulates different mechanisms for different generations of starships, although I don't remember what his alternate systems were called. Apparently, there isn't one superior technology, but a number of alternatives, of which one or the other is found the most efficient at a given time and stage of ongoing development.

Timo Saloniemi
Timo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19 2008, 10:33 AM   #8
shipfisher
Commander

I gave my TNG tech manual away years ago, but I seem to remember the 1701D having dedicated "micro-fusion" plants for individual RCS thruster "quads" or groups of grids/nozzles.
shipfisher is offline   Reply With Quote