Kirk’s Well Wishes To Kirk
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Quinto In New Starz Series
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Star Trek: Horizon Film
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Star Trek: Fleet Captains Game Expansion
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old June 23 2008, 06:43 PM   #1
Dorian Thompson
Admiral

Supernatural season four news

Two interesting bits of news for the Supernatural viewers here in the forum. We are few, but we're dedicated.

First-

Katie Cassidy let go from Supernatural

So, it's not just Bela that will be leaving after all. However, this time it's due to budget cuts. Phooey. I thought Ruby was a great addition as a character.

Second-

In a more positive piece of news, we're still not guaranteed a fifth season, but Warner Bros. television seems pretty happy with Eric Kripke even if the CW suits ignore him in favor of Gossip Girl and more Gossip Girl. He just inked a two year deal with them. Given the fact that Warner produces Supernatural, that doesn't hurt SPN's chances of a fifth season renewal. A CW collapse may, but this won't.

Kripke signs deal with Warner Bros. TV

Best disaster animal relief charity around. Don't forget our animal friends. Donate, train to be a volunteer, or be a foster parent for a displaced pet.
Dorian Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23 2008, 06:56 PM   #2
sidious618
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to sidious618
Re: Supernatural season four news

I just got the first season of this show on DVD and am enjoying it (I considered starting a thread about my first time experiences a la the B5 and XFiles ones but I don't know if there are enough people into it). I'm happy to see that it looks good for a fifth season.
Old June 23 2008, 07:02 PM   #3
Bob The Skutter
Admiral

View Bob The Skutter's Twitter Profile

The prequel idea sounds interesting... I hope something comes of it, whether it's a one off episode, or a full blown series I don't really care, but it'd be cool to see.
Old June 23 2008, 07:32 PM   #4
Dorian Thompson
Admiral

Welcome to the fold, sidious. During the season, I always start a thread here in sci-fi/fantasy for the new episode each week. Feel free to start a thread any time. I think you'll be pleased with how the show evolves. Dean and Sam aren't like Clark from Smallville. They actually change and grow, and they're affected by their experiences.

Best disaster animal relief charity around. Don't forget our animal friends. Donate, train to be a volunteer, or be a foster parent for a displaced pet.
Old June 23 2008, 10:07 PM   #5
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

Oooh, an "Old West" supernaturally based show could be loads of fun and something that hasn't been overdone either.

Dare we hope for Deadwood with vampires? No? They don't have to swear quite so much (though I could think of some funny variations on Deadwood's favorite swear-word).
Temis the Vorta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23 2008, 10:30 PM   #6
Dorian Thompson
Admiral

Hey, with Kripke getting the production deal with Warners, we might get it, Temis. A western with vampires sounds choice to me.

Old June 23 2008, 10:47 PM   #7
Bob The Skutter
Admiral

Dorian Thompson wrote: View Post
Hey, with Kripke getting the production deal with Warners, we might get it, Temis. A western with vampires sounds choice to me.
The closest things I can think of with similar premises are From Dusk Til Dawn 3, and while not vampires, Tremors 4 was a western.
Old June 23 2008, 10:52 PM   #8
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

Bob The Skutter wrote: View Post
The closest things I can think of with similar premises are From Dusk Til Dawn 3, and while not vampires, Tremors 4 was a western.
I was trying to think of TV shows in this vein (never too soon to start the bad puns).
Old June 23 2008, 10:56 PM   #9
Bob The Skutter
Admiral

Temis the Vorta wrote: View Post
I was trying to think of TV shows in this vein (never too soon to start the bad puns).
I can't think of any. I mean the only genre western I can think of is Firefly.
Old June 23 2008, 11:21 PM   #10
sidious618
Admiral

Welcome to the fold, sidious. During the season, I always start a thread here in sci-fi/fantasy for the new episode each week. Feel free to start a thread any time. I think you'll be pleased with how the show evolves. Dean and Sam aren't like Clark from Smallville. They actually change and grow, and they're affected by their experiences.
Thanks, you actually suggested the show to me a few months ago. I can't bloody stand Smallville and I was very hesitant to get into this series but I'm enjoying it so far. Most of the shows on the CW are terrible. A few of the standalones are "meh" but others are good. I understand that the show gets even better in season two.

Does anyone have a list of the mytharc eps, by the way? I'm just curious so I know when they're coming up.
Old June 23 2008, 11:41 PM   #11
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

Never heard of Gunsmoke, Bonanza, The Wild, Wild West? Or Little House on the Prairie (good candidate for re-imagining as horror ).

Firefly was sci fi/metaphorical-Western, but this would be horror/real-world Western. I actually think it's a better idea than Firefly, which always struck me as strained in attempting to carry off the metaphor but historically based supernatural horror sounds fun. The closest thing I can think of from TV is Dark Shadows.
Old June 23 2008, 11:42 PM   #12
sidious618
Admiral

Never heard of Gunsmoke, Bonanza, The Wild, Wild West?

Firefly was sci fi/metaphorical-Western, but this would be horror/real-world Western. I actually think it's a better idea than Firefly, which always struck me as strained in attempting to carry off the metaphor but historically based supernatural horror sounds fun. The closest thing I can think of from TV is Dark Shadows.
How about Westworld?
Old June 23 2008, 11:43 PM   #13
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

sidious618 wrote: View Post

How about Westworld?
Was that a TV show? Yeah, that rings a bell. That's going back a ways...

But still not really supernatural horror.
Old June 23 2008, 11:45 PM   #14
sidious618
Admiral

sidious618 wrote: View Post

How about Westworld?
Was that a TV show? Yeah, that rings a bell. That's going back a ways...

But still not really supernatural horror.
Oh, no, it was a movie. My bad.
Old June 23 2008, 11:48 PM   #15
Bob The Skutter
Admiral

Never heard of Gunsmoke, Bonanza, The Wild, Wild West? Or Little House on the Prairie (good candidate for re-imagining as horror ).

Gunsmoke, Bonanza and Little House on the Prairie have SF/F elements? I never watched any of them, so eh...