Insight Editions Announces Three Trek Books For 2015
By: T'Bonz on Jul 24

To Be Takei Review by Spencer Blohm

Mulgrew: Playing Red

Hallmark 2015 Trek Ornaments

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old August 10 2008, 04:34 AM   #16
The Old Mixer
Vice Admiral

Re: Superman Begins

Trekker4747 wrote: View Post
I think to do a good, true, Superman movie that looks and feels like it should would require a different style and look that we've seen in a long time. It would need a real "30s era" look and feel and style while possibly also taking place in current times.
So more or less the Tim Burton approach, an ultramodern setting with a lot of anachronistic elements.

(Again, take the generalness of it and add a few dozen-million dollars and higher-caliber actors. And no Batman.)
I thought their Lois was perfect.

The very first scene we see in that video is Clark (Superman) looking up at (what I think is) the LA PD Building (what it's suposed to be in the "reality" of the trailer's universe I'm not sure if it's supposed to be the DP or a Metropolis city office)
That would be the DP, as its the building that used to stand in for it in the George Reeves TV series.
Old August 10 2008, 04:35 AM   #17
DontFeedPhil
Fleet Captain

responding to the OP. I think that a Nolan-esque Superman begins is exactly what is needed. I disagree with many that they shouldnt tell an origin story. I want a Nolan-esque Superman Begins with the first 1/2 3/4 of the movie set on krypton dealing with a whole world of Krypton Politics and characters that have depth and detail. It should also be written by someone who knows and loves Supes the way the Nolan team does Bats...
DontFeedPhil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10 2008, 05:15 AM   #18
Galactus
Rear Admiral

First off, Batman Begins was in flashbacks? I haven't seen it in awhile but it didn't look like flashbacks to me. Did I miss something?

Ok just as many people know Batman's origin as they know Superman's. There is still a new generation that probably knows nothing about Superman. I still don't know why people think everyone knows everything about Superman.

I think Superman definitely needs a reboot, beginning story. Something that SR should have been. I think that is what bothers me more than anything about SR. It was such a wasted opportunity.

Someone can correct me if I am wrong, but SR is the only Superman project I can think of that did not do a Superman origin story. When you start from the beginning then you can create your own world with your own conditions. I will never understand how anyone that is suppose to like Superman so much that they would not want to tell their own Superman story.

As far as the people that want Superman depowered, that is not Supes, that is some other hero like Hellboy or something. Superman is Superman. If he is just too powerful for you then you might want to see something else. That is who Superman is. He is not basically Hardcase or Wonderman, he is Superman. It would be like making a new Batman movie and having Bruce build a suit of armor like Iron Man to fight crime because he is going up against superior foes.

Superman also is the example of what a hero is. He is a hero to all. The world loves him. His parents love him. He has a woman that loves him. He has friends that love him. He has the ability to save others and that is what he desires.

Superman: The Animated Series showed that you can do a Superman story with him still being Superman, yet being tested by the type of world we live in today. I am sure there is someone out there who can tell that story.
Old August 10 2008, 05:18 AM   #19
Aragorn
Admiral

People here might set me on fire for even mentioning his name, but the unfairly-maligned Joel Schumacher has a filmmaking style that would work well with Superman.
Aragorn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 10 2008, 06:33 AM   #20
DarKush
Rear Admiral

I wouldn't mind seeing a Nolan-esque reboot of Supes in terms of really going back to the source material to find stories and exploring the human elements, etc. in the Superman story without potentially besmirching Supes character (ie. SR).

But I don't think a lot of flashbacks are necessary. The origin can be told during the opening credits. One of my favorite examples of this was Blade 2, where Blade quickly tells you what happened in Blade 1, well all the stuff that was relevant.

For inspiration, I think they should combine Byrne and Waid's origin books. They should also look to STAS for inspiration about how to remake Supes villians. For the most part, Parasite, Metallo, Bizzaro, and Brainiac all were improved based on their cartoon depictions. They also did a good job with Jax-Or, Mala, Mercy, Livewire, Toyman, and Luthor of course. The only one I don't think they quite got was Doomsday.

I don't mind seeing a story of a young Superman first bursting on the scene, but I don't think we need to see Clark as a teen, growing up. We've seen that in the Donner film and on Smallville.

One other Nolan-esque thing I would like to see is multiple villians spread organically throughout the film. Nolan just made it work. It never felt so over the top and it helped make his Gotham feel alive. There was a degree to the focus on the villians, but so far the two Nolan films have a had a lot of bad guys in there and it hasn't seemed like overkill.

I wouldn't mind seeing a Supes movie were he takes on Intergang perhaps for starters and winds up having another threat to fight later on, one he can really duke it out with.

But I caution that Superman shouldn't be too grounded in reality. He is a sci-fi character and trying to make him too real cuts out a lot of his best villians, like Darkseid. I say make him relatable, but not to the point that he's unrecognizable.
DarKush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10 2008, 06:34 AM   #21
Broccoli
Vice Admiral

Dream wrote: View Post
I'm amazed some people want a period piece Superman. Yes, because Skycaptain was such a huge hit.
The difference there is people know Superman. That alone can get people to come to see it. Whether it is good, is a different question.

In any event, a period piece would be interesting. Although, like someone else had mentioned, maybe doing a Tim Burton with a modern setting, but with 30s style.

Galactus wrote: View Post
First off, Batman Begins was in flashbacks? I haven't seen it in awhile but it didn't look like flashbacks to me. Did I miss something?
When Bruce is training with Ducard, we flash back to the death of his parents up to when he throws away the gun and begins to work with criminals to understand them. By the time Bruce burns down the League of Shadows HQ, the flashbacks are done (save for an emotional point callback towards the end).
Old August 10 2008, 06:56 AM   #22
slappy
Commodore

I can't believe this many people can be that wrong about something that's this much of a no-brainer.

- No period pieces. That'll flop.

- No continuing Donner or Singer's versions. That's just sound logic.

- No origin story. Nobody needs or wants it.

- Create real, relevant, smart drama for the Man of Steel. If anything is be learned from Nolan, it's make a good movie, not a good Superman movie. Put Superman in peril.

- Give Superman a physical threat that he can punch, surrounded by a smart movie.

- Explain to the audience why Superman matters, even if you have to hit them over the head with it. I suggest "What's So Funny Bout Truth, Justice & The American Way" as a starting point, one of the last relevant Superman stories.

slappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10 2008, 07:05 AM   #23
Samurai8472
Vice Admiral

Dream wrote: View Post
I'm amazed some people want a period piece Superman. Yes, because Skycaptain was such a huge hit.
I agree nowadays people want Superman punching brainiac for two hours straight, no story no dialogue just mindless action >_>. That was one of the biggest complaints I heard about Superman Returns.

It was too talky and some wanted superman to just beat the crap out of something.
Samurai8472 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10 2008, 08:51 AM   #24
rafterman1701
Commodore

For me, the only thing a Superman movie has to have is an equal bad guy. The other elements have all worked well, but he never fights anything close to himself on screen. As for the Nolan like thing, well, there's some potential if you want to see how he makes himself into the man after living in Smallville, but the TV show covers that ground.
rafterman1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10 2008, 03:00 PM   #25
T'Baio
Admiral

Samurai8472 wrote: View Post
I agree nowadays people want Superman punching brainiac for two hours straight, no story no dialogue just mindless action >_>. That was one of the biggest complaints I heard about Superman Returns.

It was too talky and some wanted superman to just beat the crap out of something.
It was the lack of Superman fighting someone equal to him that people complained about, not the inclusion of good drama. Why can't the film have both? Excellent drama, as well as action that is more than Superman just lifting progressively heavier things.
On Facebook
T'Baio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10 2008, 03:24 PM   #26
The Evil Dead
Vice Admiral

View The Evil Dead's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to The Evil Dead

Just gimme Superman fighting a giant fucking robot and I'm sold.
Old August 10 2008, 04:52 PM   #27
Galactus
Rear Admiral

You can tell a Superman story that is different than what a lot of the public knows today. There are about 5 versions of Superman out there that the general public knows: The Reeves movie, Lois and Clark, TAS, Smallville, and the comics of course. Anyone that has watched or read any of these knows that they are different. The best example being the way that Clark acts and the way Luthor is.

My kids know cool Clark who is smart and cunning, a master reporter that he always was in the beginning, not the goofy nerd a lot of people think of.

I don't like him as a Superman villian, but Luthor today is the alpha male, the most powerful man on the planet. He sees being President of the United States as being beneath him. He is not some mad insane scientist.

You can definitely tell a brand new Superman story that is different than what people know and what they would expect. You just have to think outside the box.
Old August 10 2008, 06:32 PM   #28
Takeru
Fleet Captain

If they have to do another origin story, I would like to see a movie from Lois' perspective, it would begin with her coming to work and being introduced to Clark. Clark and Superman would be treated as two seperate characters and parts of the backstory would be told to Lois by Superman (for obvious reasons he would leave out the "growing up in Smallville" part), a short scene is enough, basically just "I'm the last survivor of the planet Krypton", no flashbacks, no details, they're really not important.
The first half of the movie could resemble a screwball comedy, with Lois and Clark getting to know each other (maybe they could use the old pose as a couple shtick to make sure Clark has enough screentime) and with Superman popping in once in a while to fight some minor villains and becoming the hero we all know. In the second half Superman would start to kick ass.
Takeru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10 2008, 06:57 PM   #29
Samurai8472
Vice Admiral

davejames wrote: View Post
instead of fighting fanciful supervillains he uses his reporter's skills to hunt down and stop real criminals.
That would be perfect for a Nolan version superman. It would be like batman dealing with the mob in "The dark knight" and also handling the main villian.

Clark is investigating military tech from a ship that came in and he has to go down to a harbor and ask questions to fisherman and people.

Later he finds out of Lexcorp was involved in smuggling weapons in.
Samurai8472 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10 2008, 07:44 PM   #30
Aragorn
Admiral

rafterman1701 wrote: View Post
As for the Nolan like thing, well, there's some potential if you want to see how he makes himself into the man after living in Smallville, but the TV show covers that ground.
Aragorn is online now   Reply With Quote