Horse 1, Shatner 0
By: T'Bonz on Jul 28

Drexler TV Alert
By: T'Bonz on Jul 26

Retro Review: His Way
By: Michelle on Jul 26

MicroWarriors Releases Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Jul 25

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old August 9 2008, 07:56 PM   #1
Out Of My Vulcan Mind
Vice Admiral

The next two DC DTV animated movies revealed?

Warner Bros has been playing things close to the vest in terms of the next couple of DC DTV animated movies following Wonder Woman. Even though they're already working on them, they're only planning on announcing them in the fourth quarter this year. But a blogger on TAG (The Animation Guild) related what he saw being worked on when he popped into various animation studios recently and it seems he's let the cat out of the bag. According to him the next two DTVs will be Green Lantern and Superman/Batman: Public Enemies.

This is the exact quote:

Over at Warner Bros. Batman: Brave and the Bold clicks along with its series order. Two video features, Green Lantern and Public Enemies, are also in the production pipeline.
I've been hoping that the fifth title would be Green Lantern, so I'll be stoked when/if this is confirmed. Further evidence that it is the fifth title is that Andrea Romano mentioned it in talking about her work on the upcoming releases. It wasn't quite clear whether she was just saying it as one of the hypothetical titles, since she added an "or whatever" after mentioning GL, or whether she'd inadvertently slipped and revealed the title. It seems the latter may well have been the case. Of course we don't know yet exactly which GL storyline it'll be. I think "Sinestro Corps War" is the most likely.
Old August 9 2008, 08:04 PM   #2
Samurai8472
Vice Admiral

Re: The next two DC DTV animated movies revealed?

ooh! public enemies! I hope they keep a scene with powergirl

"how do we distract a teenager?"
*everyone looks at Powergirl*
"What?......oh"
Samurai8472 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9 2008, 09:05 PM   #3
Christopher
Writer

What's Public Enemies?

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9 2008, 09:08 PM   #4
Out Of My Vulcan Mind
Vice Admiral

Christopher wrote: View Post
What's Public Enemies?
The opening six-issue story arc of Superman/Batman written by Jeph Loeb.
Old August 9 2008, 11:40 PM   #5
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

View Admiral_Young's Twitter Profile

Superman/Batman: Public Enemies is totally unexpected but has very interesting prospects considering it told the story of the downfall of Luthor's Presidency and re-introduced the purple and green battlesuit! This could be interesting, it also set the stages for the creation of Mike Turner and Jeph Loeb's Supergirl! I wondering if they're going to incorperate elements from the Supergirl arc into Public Enemies?

As for the Green Lantern project...I so hope they adapt Sinestro Corp Wars! I thought the Teen Titans DVD was coming out after Wonder Woman though?

Ignoring the The Last Stand since 2011.
Admiral_Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9 2008, 11:52 PM   #6
CaptainCanada
Admiral

What's Public Enemies?
An incredibly stupid arc of Jeph Loeb's Superman/Batman (but then, really, pretty much all of S/B could be described that way). Though Ed McGuinness's art would lend itself to animation a lot easier than most (though, so far, the pledge to try to follow the art styles of the source materials has been completely hollow, apart from in NF, and that was more a cause of Cooke's art being a Timm-takeoff to begin with)

As to Green Lantern, I'd lean more towards them doing an origin story, though they touched a bit on that in New Frontier (though only cursorily, in a lot of respects; there'd be plenty of room to do one that focussed more on Hal actually being Green Lantern, with space adventures, Sinestro, the Guardians, etc.). I can't imagine them doing "Corps War" in 75 minutes, particularly without Rebirth preceding it.

- Homer Simpson
CaptainCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9 2008, 11:56 PM   #7
Out Of My Vulcan Mind
Vice Admiral

Admiral_Young wrote: View Post
I thought the Teen Titans DVD was coming out after Wonder Woman though?
Teen Titans: The Judas Contract has been put on indefinite hold. They're not sure it would sell well enough.
Old August 10 2008, 12:00 AM   #8
CaptainCanada
Admiral

Bizarro logic, I must say; Teen Titans just had a very successful TV show that ran for five seasons, and has for the last 25 years generally shown more commercial appeal than Wonder Woman or Green Lantern.

- Homer Simpson
Old August 10 2008, 12:08 AM   #9
Out Of My Vulcan Mind
Vice Admiral

Yeah, I would have thought the Titans would sell well enough. The above is their stated reason for it being put on hold. There's speculation that the real reason is that Warners is wary of a PG-13 Titans animated movie being put into the marketplace alongside DVD sets of the very popular and young-skewing series, and perhaps ending up with a lot of complaints on their hands.
Old August 10 2008, 12:23 AM   #10
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

View Admiral_Young's Twitter Profile

Damn it...I was looking forward to seeing the Judas Contract! So they're admiting their first mistake in the animation department huh?

Ignoring the The Last Stand since 2011.
Admiral_Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10 2008, 12:43 AM   #11
nx1701g
Admiral

What's Public Enemies?
"Public Enemies" (issues #1-6, illustrated by Ed McGuinness), then-U.S. President Lex Luthor declares Superman and Batman enemies of the state, claiming that a kryptonite asteroid headed for Earth is connected to an evil plot by Superman. Luthor offers a $1 billion bounty, which encourages both supervillains and superheroes to attack. Superman almost kills Lex, with Batman standing aside. Superman changes his mind at the last moment.
Old August 10 2008, 12:45 AM   #12
davejames
Vice Admiral

CaptainCanada wrote: View Post
An incredibly stupid arc of Jeph Loeb's Superman/Batman (but then, really, pretty much all of S/B could be described that way). Though Ed McGuinness's art would lend itself to animation a lot easier than most (though, so far, the pledge to try to follow the art styles of the source materials has been completely hollow, apart from in NF, and that was more a cause of Cooke's art being a Timm-takeoff to begin with)
Yeah I gotta agree about the art. The character designs and animation style are just minor variations of the Timm style. And the WW movie looks to be the same. It basically looks like the JLU Wonder Woman, but with a longer face. lol

It WOULD be cool to see a faithful translation of McGuinness's style though.
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10 2008, 01:48 AM   #13
CaptainCanada
Admiral

I don't mind at all, personally; modern styles of comic art are, for the most part, far too detailed to be transferred to animation on a reasonable budget; it's just that Timm and co. know that, and shouldn't have promised something that they weren't going to deliver.

- Homer Simpson
Old August 10 2008, 03:06 AM   #14
Christopher
Writer

Admiral_Young wrote: View Post
Damn it...I was looking forward to seeing the Judas Contract! So they're admiting their first mistake in the animation department huh?
Huh? No, they're not admitting a mistake. They had said earlier that The Judas Contract was one of the projects they were considering doing, and then they found that fan interest to that announcement was lukewarm, so they concluded that it would not be profitable to proceed with the project. There's no mistake involved in floating a proposal and tabling it when support fails to materialize. On the contrary, the mistake would be proceeding despite the negative feedback.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12 2008, 04:29 AM   #15
AviTrek
Fleet Captain

Any chance Last Son could be made into another movie? I know that's getting Superman heavy, but Superman IS DC.
AviTrek is offline   Reply With Quote