RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 145,327
Posts: 5,721,615
Members: 25,772
Currently online: 481
Newest member: Secretion

TrekToday headlines

Where No Garden Gnome Has Gone Before
By: T'Bonz on May 22

Scotland Yard Trekkie Fear
By: T'Bonz on May 22

Koenig Joins Captain Pike Project
By: T'Bonz on May 22

Retro Review: Ex Post Facto
By: Michelle on May 22

Smallwood: Creating The Xindi
By: T'Bonz on May 21

Greenwood Joins O.J. Simpson Series
By: T'Bonz on May 21

The USS Enterprise Building
By: T'Bonz on May 20

Wheaton Guests On Mission Log Podcast
By: T'Bonz on May 20

Pegg: Star Trek 3 Less Trek-Y
By: T'Bonz on May 20

Two Trek Book Covers Unveiled
By: T'Bonz on May 19


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies I-X

Star Trek Movies I-X Discuss the first ten big screen outings in this forum!

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old August 19 2008, 06:30 AM   #16
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral
 
Mr. Laser Beam's Avatar
 
Location: The visitor's bullpen
View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile
Re: Are the movies available on HD yet?

Cyrus wrote: View Post
I have seen half of the Trek movie in HD on various cable channels and they looked real good.

And now that DirecTV is going to support 1080p on their DVRs, I don't need to buy a Blu-Ray player. I just need to get off my lazy ass and buy a 1080p TV.
Don't be so sure. DirecTV is notorious for compressing the hell out of their signal. Actually I think most providers do that.

There's no way that any broadcast signal, be it cable or satellite, is going to be as nice looking as real, authentic Blu-Ray.
__________________
"Pitching is simple -- cheese for the kitchen and a yakker for the kudo." - Dennis Eckersley
Mr. Laser Beam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19 2008, 09:46 AM   #17
Cyrus
Rear Admiral
 
Cyrus's Avatar
 
Location: Los Angeles
Re: Are the movies available on HD yet?

Babaganoosh wrote: View Post
Don't be so sure. DirecTV is notorious for compressing the hell out of their signal. Actually I think most providers do that.

There's no way that any broadcast signal, be it cable or satellite, is going to be as nice looking as real, authentic Blu-Ray.
DirecTV stopped the HD-lite broadcasting long ago. The new MPEG-4 channels are top-notch.

As to comparisons of DirecTV 1080p to Blu-Ray, it may or may not be as good, but most likely it will be good enough for me and I much rather record and watch HD movies on my DVR than buy discs. It's getting some nice reviews on image quality on the beta test at dbstalk,com (though some glitches still have to be worked out before a national release). And so far it's not broadcast 1080p but video on demand 1080p, though I have heard rumors that eventually some channels will be offered at 1080p.
Cyrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20 2008, 07:58 AM   #18
Borjis
Commodore
 
Borjis's Avatar
 
Re: Are the movies available on HD yet?

I hope they get it right, saying its equal to blu-ray is a VERY bold statement to be making.
Borjis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20 2008, 01:32 PM   #19
Cheapjack
Fleet Captain
 
Re: Are the movies available on HD yet?

I see what you mean about using diffusion smoke in ST4, but couldn't they have just put vaseline on the lens?

I suppose the best way to see the films would be on a projector?

The longer I leave it before I buy a HD set, the better the picture will be, I hope, as it can always be improved?
Cheapjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20 2008, 01:54 PM   #20
trevanian
Rear Admiral
 
Re: Are the movies available on HD yet?

A filter is less selective, smoke works in depth (and STIV was shot by the FLASHDANCE guy.)
trevanian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20 2008, 02:02 PM   #21
Outpost4
Vice Admiral
 
Outpost4's Avatar
 
Location: Upper Mississippi River
Re: Are the movies available on HD yet?

Cyrus wrote: View Post
Babaganoosh wrote: View Post
Don't be so sure. DirecTV is notorious for compressing the hell out of their signal. Actually I think most providers do that.

There's no way that any broadcast signal, be it cable or satellite, is going to be as nice looking as real, authentic Blu-Ray.
DirecTV stopped the HD-lite broadcasting long ago. The new MPEG-4 channels are top-notch.

As to comparisons of DirecTV 1080p to Blu-Ray, it may or may not be as good, but most likely it will be good enough for me and I much rather record and watch HD movies on my DVR than buy discs. It's getting some nice reviews on image quality on the beta test at dbstalk,com (though some glitches still have to be worked out before a national release). And so far it's not broadcast 1080p but video on demand 1080p, though I have heard rumors that eventually some channels will be offered at 1080p.
I see Cyrus over on DBSTalk (there I'm Carl Spock) and smile. I hope this works out for me. I don't think my Panasonic plasma (TH-42PZ700) will support 1080p/24, which is the format the DirecTV 1080p stuff is coming in at. 1080p/60, no problem, but not with a 24 fps rate. At least the manual says it won't.

EDIT: I just scanned through the pertinent thread over on DBSTalk, and it looks like my TV might be able to play this. We'll see.
__________________
I love you.

Last edited by Outpost4; August 20 2008 at 02:36 PM.
Outpost4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20 2008, 08:07 PM   #22
Cyrus
Rear Admiral
 
Cyrus's Avatar
 
Location: Los Angeles
Re: Are the movies available on HD yet?

Outpost4 wrote: View Post
I see Cyrus over on DBSTalk (there I'm Carl Spock) and smile.
That Carl Spock avatar there made me smile too. I knew it had to be someone from trekbbs, it's cool to know it's you.
Cyrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24 2008, 08:27 PM   #23
Borjis
Commodore
 
Borjis's Avatar
 
Re: Are the movies available on HD yet?

Outpost4 wrote: View Post
Carl Spock) and smile. I hope this works out for me. I don't think my Panasonic plasma (TH-42PZ700) will support 1080p/24, which is the format the DirecTV 1080p stuff is coming in at. 1080p/60, no problem, but not with a 24 fps rate. At least the manual says it won't.

EDIT: I just scanned through the pertinent thread over on DBSTalk, and it looks like my TV might be able to play this. We'll see.

I have a panasonic plasma at home and 2 more of them at work, they WILL accept the signal.
Borjis is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
blu-ray

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 10:31 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.