Mystery Mini Vinyl Figure Display Box
By: T'Bonz on Sep 29

The Red Shirt Diaries Episode Five
By: T'Bonz on Sep 29

Shatner In Trek 3? Well Maybe
By: T'Bonz on Sep 28

Retro Review: Shadows and Symbols
By: Michelle on Sep 27

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > The Next Generation

The Next Generation All Good Things come to an end...but not here.

Old August 8 2008, 09:58 PM   #1
R’cher
Fleet Captain

Yesterday's Enterprise missing man

so Worf was on the "our" timeline Enterprise-D chatting it up with Guinan and drinking prune juice. But, wouldn't it have been cool if it was Worf's voice over the comm telling the Enterprise-D to surrender at the end of the episode?
R’cher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8 2008, 11:03 PM   #2
Art Vandelay
Captain

Re: Yesterday's Enterprise missing man

I've always wondered the same thing, and it would have been a perfect way to include him in the alternate timeline. No clue why they didn't do it - they must have thought of it.
Art Vandelay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8 2008, 11:24 PM   #3
Ro_Laren
Commodore

I agree... would have been great!
Ro_Laren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9 2008, 12:14 AM   #4
Yuckleberry Finn
Vice Admiral

No. I think its better this way. Actually, they probably should've excluded one or two more of the regulars that actually showed up (excluding Tasha). The odds are the senior staff would have been more different than what we saw. They could have had Jack Crusher as Picard's first officer. No Wesley.
Yuckleberry Finn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9 2008, 01:02 AM   #5
sbk1234
Rear Admiral

I remember expecting to see that very thing. (Worf, I mean). They may have felt that would really be pushing the realm of believability to do that. I think it would have been cool. Oh, well. What might have been....

"It's a fucking TV show!" - Gary Lockwood
sbk1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9 2008, 01:20 AM   #6
Kirby
Rear Admiral

View Kirby's Twitter Profile

They worked Worf into the AU in Deep Space Nine and it just felt forced. Yesterday's Enterprise was great the way it was (although I like the idea about Jack Crusher), an "awwww it's Worf" moment would have been too hokey.
Kirby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9 2008, 03:06 AM   #7
Anwar
Vice Admiral

The script for it says that the Klingon Captain hailing them to surrender at the end could be Worf if they wanted it to be. They changed their minds in the end.
Anwar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9 2008, 09:53 PM   #8
WalkerBait
Trekker4747

Finn wrote: View Post
No. I think its better this way. Actually, they probably should've excluded one or two more of the regulars that actually showed up (excluding Tasha). The odds are the senior staff would have been more different than what we saw. They could have had Jack Crusher as Picard's first officer. No Wesley.
Well, the thing to remember is that when we're dealing with a weekly TV series the audience expects to see their favorite actors week after week. Excluding more of the senior staff than they already did (Troi and Worf) would've ruined some of the "fun" in seeing alternate versions of these characters and it wouldn't of been as poweful, dramaticly, seeing different and beaten down versions of characters we've never met.

By all "logic" with such a spread thin Starfleet Riker would have his own ship. But it wouldn't of been any fun to see a new character we've never met there and as dramaticly powerful to see him die in the final battle.

So this is a case where TV practicality (not to mention the expense of getting even more extras beyond the guests they already had playing Garrett, Costeau and also Crosby back as Yar PLUS Whoppi. So it was already an episode pretty heavy on guest characters/actors.) won out over "dramatic believability."

I too did think that having Worf as the leader of the Borg armada would've been neat. And yeah a stretch on believability but, again, it's TV doesn't always need to be believable.
Old August 10 2008, 04:56 AM   #9
Dayton3
Admiral

Also realistically, the alternate Enterprise-D would probably have been bristling with considerably more weapons than our Enterprise-D has.

So much that they should've made short work of three Birds of Prey.

After the Vorcha class attack cruisers came out, I always thought that it would look cool to take out the Birds of Prey and replace them with the larger attack cruisers.

Maybe add some Defiant styled pulse phasers on the alternate Enterprise as well.
Dayton3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10 2008, 05:08 AM   #10
Undead
Continuity Spackle

Send a message via ICQ to Undead

That's an interesting point. It's not clear how powerful the alternate E-D was, but it's certainly logical that it did have more weapons than its counterpart (or at least, weapons that could be considered superior in terms of their damage and so forth).

"If you think you're brave enough to walk the path of honor, then follow me into the dragon's den."

Knight Exemplar
Undead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 10 2008, 05:14 AM   #11
Anwar
Vice Admiral

Dayton3 wrote: View Post
Also realistically, the alternate Enterprise-D would probably have been bristling with considerably more weapons than our Enterprise-D has.

So much that they should've made short work of three Birds of Prey.

After the Vorcha class attack cruisers came out, I always thought that it would look cool to take out the Birds of Prey and replace them with the larger attack cruisers.

Maybe add some Defiant styled pulse phasers on the alternate Enterprise as well.
Well, we have to take into account the SFX budget and how it probably wouldn't have allowed them to make a new ENT-D model for one episode only. Or new effects that wouldn't be used for the rest of the series either.

The three BoPs were supposed to be K'Vort Heavy Cruisers, not the small ones we had seen earlier in the series. I'd think three of those may have been enough to take out the ENT-D since the ENT-D couldn't maneuver itself around or anything.
Anwar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10 2008, 05:42 AM   #12
Lightbulb Sun
Ensign

Here's a possible explanation to why Worf wasn't in the Alternate Timeline.

The Enterprise C was lost defending Narendra III in 2344. Apparently, this averted war between the Federation and the Klingon Empire.

In 2346, Romulans attacked Khitomer, home to a three-year old Worf. Worf was one of two reported survivors. The survivors were picked up by the USS Intrepid.

If War had been declared between the Federation and Klingons sometime between the Narendra III and Khitomer incidents, then the USS Intrepid would not have rescued Klingon survivors.

So, assuming that's true, Worf was dead at the age of three in that Alternate Timeline.

*shrug*
Lightbulb Sun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10 2008, 11:21 AM   #13
Yuckleberry Finn
Vice Admiral

^you are assuming Khitomer was attacked in the alternate timeline. There probably were a larger military presence over or near Khitomer due to its proximity to Federation Space. So there is a good chance the Romulans didn't bother to attack it.
Yuckleberry Finn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10 2008, 12:13 PM   #14
WillsBabe
Vice Admiral

R’cher wrote: View Post
so Worf was on the "our" timeline Enterprise-D chatting it up with Guinan and drinking prune juice. But, wouldn't it have been cool if it was Worf's voice over the comm telling the Enterprise-D to surrender at the end of the episode?
It would have been good, I agree. They could have done it very subtly, too. You either recignised the voice or you didn't. I've always lamented that they didn't do it.

WillsBabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10 2008, 07:48 PM   #15
Lightbulb Sun
Ensign

Finn wrote: View Post
^you are assuming Khitomer was attacked in the alternate timeline. There probably were a larger military presence over or near Khitomer due to its proximity to Federation Space. So there is a good chance the Romulans didn't bother to attack it.
Well, good point. haha.
Lightbulb Sun is offline   Reply With Quote