Shatner Starts New Website
By: T'Bonz on Apr 22

Rumor Mill: Star Trek III Title
By: T'Bonz on Apr 22

Siddig: Getting And Playing The Role Of Martell
By: T'Bonz on Apr 21

Mulgrew: Why Born With Teeth
By: T'Bonz on Apr 21

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old August 10 2008, 03:50 AM   #76
Computer
Captain

Re: XXIX Olympic games coverage

I just watched the Gold medal ceremony for Michael Phelps and man did they butcher our national anthem "and the rockets red glare" repeated like 3 times and they cut it off 3/4 the way through.
Old August 10 2008, 04:04 AM   #77
Brolan
Commodore

Computer wrote: View Post
I just watched the Gold medal ceremony for Michael Phelps and man did they butcher our national anthem "and the rockets red glare" repeated like 3 times and they cut it off 3/4 the way through.
Yeah, it's a Chinese plot.
Brolan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10 2008, 04:07 AM   #78
Computer
Captain

Brolan wrote: View Post
Computer wrote: View Post
Yeah, it's a Chinese plot.
Maybe we should send them some freedom fries
Old August 10 2008, 06:42 AM   #79
Gryffindorian
Vice Admiral

NBC's coverage is rather confusing. I was under the impression that they were showing delayed telecast of the day's events. Now Michael Phelps just won his first gold medal for the Men's 400m Individual Medley (and I thought, they were giving gold medals for the heats?). Looks like NBC is also showing June 10 (China time) coverage on Saturday night.
Old August 10 2008, 01:23 PM   #80
Chemahkuu
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Chemahkuu

Well watched the Womens Archery this morning, (Chen Ling was cute) and that was a pretty close contest between the Chinese and Korean teams, both have finished over 20 points ahead of Britain
Old August 10 2008, 02:05 PM   #81
WillsBabe
Vice Admiral

Brolan wrote: View Post
But I'm sure our cousins across the pond will do themselves proud.
Thanks for that! I thought the opening ceremony to the Beijing Olympics was tremendous, but it didn't worry me. I think London will do fine. we just need to channel some of that skill that goes into our royal weddings, funerals and ceremonies of state and we will do a fine job. I'm not worried.

I've been really enjoying the BBC'scoverage of the Olympics. They have 7 live streams - 6 digital opitons and the main terrestrial channel. Say what you will about the BBC (and I say enough), they are majorly competent broadcasters at these kind of sporting events. Bravo so far, Auntie!

WillsBabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10 2008, 03:17 PM   #82
BRG
Commander

Indeed, when it comes the these huge events, nobody comes close to the BBC. Round the clock coverage on a number of live streams, so you can just about watch any event you want, and not one ad-break.
However, the Beeb must have sent more people to China than the entire British Olympic Squad! Countless studio presenters, event presenters, experts, pundits, commentators, analysts, journalists, roving reporters, and God knows how many behind the scenes staff. Now you know where the licence fee goes.

I stayed up to watch the first finals at the swimming, about 0300-0500 BST, and I enjoyed it. However, as I was catching up with my sleep, I missed Britain's first gold medal!
Nicole Cooke in the womens road race at the cycling. Apparently, she is the first Welsh athlete to take gold since 1972.
Well done lass!
BRG
Scottish League Cup Winners- 2012

Last edited by BRG; August 10 2008 at 07:38 PM.
BRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10 2008, 04:15 PM   #83
Brolan
Commodore

You guys make me jealous. NBC is making a mess of things. Mixing delayed coverage and live coverage. So I saw the medal ceremony for the Women's Sabre before they showed any of the matches. That takes away a lot of the drama!

They also dropped in on just the last two km of the cycling yesterday. I'm not sure if they will show the whole race later or not.
Old August 10 2008, 06:52 PM   #84
WillsBabe
Vice Admiral

^I hope you can still enjoy the Games, Brolan.

WillsBabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10 2008, 09:56 PM   #85
sjsharksfan39
Admiral

View sjsharksfan39's Twitter Profile

I still hate the fact that I'm on the West Coast, and no one fucking cares (Media mostly). It's hard to even be online if you don't want to be spoiled. Check fantasy teams and how they're doing or want to watch a Nascar race, and then get spoiled on the US Basketball game today. No one is concientious about who their audience is and because of the fucking east coast bias, they're giving a big giant fuck you to the people out west.
sjsharksfan39 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 10 2008, 10:24 PM   #86
Brolan
Commodore

tomalak301 wrote: View Post
I still hate the fact that I'm on the West Coast, and no one fucking cares (Media mostly). It's hard to even be online if you don't want to be spoiled. Check fantasy teams and how they're doing or want to watch a Nascar race, and then get spoiled on the US Basketball game today. No one is concientious about who their audience is and because of the fucking east coast bias, they're giving a big giant fuck you to the people out west.
I feel your pain. I lived in Colorado as a youth and it seemed like the Mountain and Pacific time zones were the poor step child of the networks.
Old August 10 2008, 10:29 PM   #87
sjsharksfan39
Admiral

Yep. I do enjoy the fact that for sports like Football, we get the Sunday Night and Monday Night games during dinner and not bed time, but it really is like the networks or websites don't give a damn. If they want to tape delay boadcasts for money reasons, fine, but give people a choice if they do want to watch it live. I mean most nights the primetime coverage will start at 5:00 in the afternoon. People have DVRs. You can record programs, or watch them or even put them on like an NBC east channel and then replay it live. I just want the choice and in this day of technology, I think it's a bunch of shit I can't get that choice.
Old August 11 2008, 05:40 AM   #88
Professor Moriarty
Vice Admiral

View Professor Moriarty's Twitter Profile

The Americans? We’re going to smash them. That’s what we came here for. --French swimmer Alain Bernard, anchor on the men's 4x100 freestyle relay

(And yeah, it was Bernard who lost the race for the French.)

Keep talking trash, Frenchies. Who's getting smashed now?! LOL!!!! Love it!
Old August 11 2008, 06:33 AM   #89
sjsharksfan39
Admiral

FUCK YOU NBC. :s cream:
Old August 11 2008, 07:42 AM   #90
Gryffindorian
Vice Admiral

Professor Moriarty wrote: View Post
The Americans? We’re going to smash them. That’s what we came here for. --French swimmer Alain Bernard, anchor on the men's 4x100 freestyle relay

(And yeah, it was Bernard who lost the race for the French.)

Keep talking trash, Frenchies. Who's getting smashed now?! LOL!!!! Love it!
Well, that is just the nature of the beast. You realize these athletes are humans, too. They can be arrogant, deceitful, bitter and harsh at times.

I was just having a discussion with an acquaintance who "can't stand the Olympics" for all the negative reasons. I said there will always be crap, of course. You can't expect everything to be perfect. There will always be issues like doping, favoritism, lack of good sportsmanship ... That has been the case throughout history anyway, and not just with the Olympics!