RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,599
Posts: 5,424,435
Members: 24,810
Currently online: 525
Newest member: David Ellerman

TrekToday headlines

September Loot Crate Features Trek Surprise
By: T'Bonz on Sep 16

USS Enterprise Miniature Out For Refit
By: T'Bonz on Sep 16

Star Trek/Planet of the Apes Comic Crossover
By: T'Bonz on Sep 16

Trek 3 Shooting Next Spring?
By: T'Bonz on Sep 16

Star Trek: Alien Domain Game Announced
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Red Shirt Diaries Episode Three
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Made Out Of Mudd Photonovel
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Takei Has Growth Removed
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Retro Review: Tears of the Prophets
By: Michelle on Sep 12

New Wizkids Attack Wing Ships
By: T'Bonz on Sep 12


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old August 9 2008, 05:52 AM   #61
Timewalker
Cat-lovin', Star Trekkin' Time Lady
 
Timewalker's Avatar
 
Location: In many different universes, simultaneously.
Re: XXIX Olympic games coverage

The kids were really cute.

I noticed the cheerleaders were pretty tuckered out by the end of the ceremony. Actually, they started to run out of steam before it was halfway through, but given the heat and pollution, they did pretty well. I noticed they had water bottles as part of their uniforms, which was sensible.

Some of the teams had very strange outfits. And some of them had me wondering how the athletes managed to keep from passing out -- they looked really hot and uncomfortable!
__________________
"Let's give it to Riker. He'll eat anything!"

For some great Original Series fanfic, check out the Valjiir Continuum!
Timewalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9 2008, 05:52 AM   #62
Capt. Vulcan
Vice Admiral
 
Location: PlanetExpress Ship
Re: XXIX Olympic games coverage

Man, if you're not seeing this in HD, you've missed out.
__________________
She's so great. I feel like I can almost remember the magical thing I did to make her love me. But I guess I never will.
Capt. Vulcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9 2008, 06:01 AM   #63
SJSharksfan39
Admiral
 
SJSharksfan39's Avatar
 
Location: San Francisco Bay Area, CA
View SJSharksfan39's Twitter Profile
Re: XXIX Olympic games coverage

Timewalker wrote: View Post
The kids were really cute.

I noticed the cheerleaders were pretty tuckered out by the end of the ceremony. Actually, they started to run out of steam before it was halfway through, but given the heat and pollution, they did pretty well. I noticed they had water bottles as part of their uniforms, which was sensible.

Some of the teams had very strange outfits. And some of them had me wondering how the athletes managed to keep from passing out -- they looked really hot and uncomfortable!
I'm seeing the Parade of Nations now and some of those outfits are weird. It's almost like some were dressed for a wedding or something and I had to be wondering how hot it was. As for the cheerleaders, yes they look hot, but man I don't envy their task of standing, dancing, and being there for that entire time.
SJSharksfan39 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 9 2008, 06:04 AM   #64
ElimParra
Fleet Admiral
 
ElimParra's Avatar
 
Re: XXIX Olympic games coverage

firehawk12 wrote: View Post
ElimParra wrote: View Post
Found that there is another channel, and they are currently showing women's handball.
I really, really want to watch Handball, but I've never been able to see it because I don't think Canada even has a Handball team. Gyarg.
Don't think Australia has a team either. Mostly European teams.

Currently watching the road race. Should interesting, so circuit about to start.
ElimParra is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 9 2008, 06:10 AM   #65
Mr. Adventure
Admiral
 
Mr. Adventure's Avatar
 
Location: Mr. Adventure
Re: XXIX Olympic games coverage

Bush with volleyball chicks Misty May Treanor and Kerri Walsh. Kind of surreal...
http://www.daylife.com/search/photos...ush+volleyball
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9 2008, 01:33 PM   #66
Chemahkuu
Vice Admiral
 
Chemahkuu's Avatar
 
Location: United Kingdom
Send a message via Yahoo to Chemahkuu
Re: XXIX Olympic games coverage

Capt. Vulcan wrote: View Post
Man, if you're not seeing this in HD, you've missed out.
I'll bet, but we can't afford anything HD right now. Would have loved to have seen it that way.
__________________
"But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake."
Chemahkuu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 9 2008, 03:27 PM   #67
amdmiami
Commander
 
amdmiami's Avatar
 
Re: XXIX Olympic games coverage

Last night, the opening ceremony was stunning. I wonder how they're gonna top it off in London.
__________________
"Scary"
*pulls out 2 guns*
"Scarrier"
(P.M. me if you know where the quote is from )
amdmiami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9 2008, 05:17 PM   #68
Samurai8472
Vice Admiral
 
Samurai8472's Avatar
 
Re: XXIX Olympic games coverage

amdmiami wrote: View Post
Last night, the opening ceremony was stunning. I wonder how they're gonna top it off in London.
Everyone will mysteriously dissapear and a skinny man in a trench coat will pick up the torch.
Samurai8472 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9 2008, 05:22 PM   #69
Roger Wilco
Admiral
 
Roger Wilco's Avatar
 
Re: XXIX Olympic games coverage

I don't want to sound too negative but I really hated the ceremony, it just seemed too perfectionistic, reminded me of the North Korean military parades with those tens of thousands of people marching and waving in perfect unity; human individuality counting nothing, the collective everything. In my opinion it was a totalitarian show befitting of a totalitarian regime; the best example of which was at the end when Rogge and Hu Jintao walked along the red carpet with the chinese women on the side looking absolutely alike - same height, same haircut, same everything; like nice obedient cloned soldiers.
__________________
Don't be a douche.
Roger Wilco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9 2008, 07:23 PM   #70
Chemahkuu
Vice Admiral
 
Chemahkuu's Avatar
 
Location: United Kingdom
Send a message via Yahoo to Chemahkuu
Re: XXIX Olympic games coverage

Gee, nothing nice to say just because it was China? you know your own country isn't perfect either...
__________________
"But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake."
Chemahkuu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 9 2008, 07:25 PM   #71
Sheliak
Commodore
 
Sheliak's Avatar
 
Location: Beta Lyrae
Re: XXIX Olympic games coverage

I wouldn't want to be rowing a boat in smog that thick.
Sheliak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9 2008, 07:27 PM   #72
Lindley
Moderator with a Soul
 
Location: Fairfax, VA
Re: XXIX Olympic games coverage

dragunzng wrote: View Post
Why is time delayed? Are they afraid people are going to be prancing around jiggling boobies and willies?
No, that's in four years.

Think about it.
__________________
Lead Organizer for EVN: Firefly.
"So apparently the really smart zombies have automatic weapons!"
-Torg, Sluggy Freelance
Lindley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9 2008, 07:27 PM   #73
Chemahkuu
Vice Admiral
 
Chemahkuu's Avatar
 
Location: United Kingdom
Send a message via Yahoo to Chemahkuu
Re: XXIX Olympic games coverage

Sheliak wrote: View Post
I wouldn't want to be rowing a boat in smog that thick.
Rules out London and San Francisco then.
__________________
"But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake."
Chemahkuu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 9 2008, 08:30 PM   #74
Neeka Keet
Admiral
 
Re: XXIX Olympic games coverage

Roger Wilco wrote: View Post
I don't want to sound too negative but I really hated the ceremony, it just seemed too perfectionistic, reminded me of the North Korean military parades with those tens of thousands of people marching and waving in perfect unity; human individuality counting nothing, the collective everything. In my opinion it was a totalitarian show befitting of a totalitarian regime; the best example of which was at the end when Rogge and Hu Jintao walked along the red carpet with the chinese women on the side looking absolutely alike - same height, same haircut, same everything; like nice obedient cloned soldiers.
That's part of the Chinese culture even before Mao, the cultural revolution, and the founding of the PRC. The family unit (basically the government, the nation) is to be put above personal desires most of the time. It's something that my Chinese professors were pretty adamant about when I took a Chinese law course in Beijing this summer.


And London shouldn't try to top Beijing they should just try very hard to show the world the soul of London and Britain if they manage that it'll be just as impressive as Beijing's opening ceremony.
__________________
The end....
Neeka Keet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9 2008, 09:30 PM   #75
Brolan
Commodore
 
Brolan's Avatar
 
Location: Backwoods Minnesota
Re: XXIX Olympic games coverage

Neeka Keet wrote: View Post
Roger Wilco wrote: View Post
I don't want to sound too negative but I really hated the ceremony, it just seemed too perfectionistic, reminded me of the North Korean military parades with those tens of thousands of people marching and waving in perfect unity; human individuality counting nothing, the collective everything. In my opinion it was a totalitarian show befitting of a totalitarian regime; the best example of which was at the end when Rogge and Hu Jintao walked along the red carpet with the chinese women on the side looking absolutely alike - same height, same haircut, same everything; like nice obedient cloned soldiers.
That's part of the Chinese culture even before Mao, the cultural revolution, and the founding of the PRC. The family unit (basically the government, the nation) is to be put above personal desires most of the time. It's something that my Chinese professors were pretty adamant about when I took a Chinese law course in Beijing this summer.


And London shouldn't try to top Beijing they should just try very hard to show the world the soul of London and Britain if they manage that it'll be just as impressive as Beijing's opening ceremony.
I was about to say elegance beats flash but the Beijing ceremonies were elegant as well as being flashy. But I'm sure our cousins across the pond will do themselves proud.
__________________
My use of revolutionary flags and symbols in no way endorses the group of morons known as The Tea Party
Brolan is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
olympics

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 12:40 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.