Retro Review: Shadows and Symbols
By: Michelle on Sep 27

Meyer: Revitalizing Star Trek
By: T'Bonz on Sep 26

Trek Costumes To Be Auctioned
By: T'Bonz on Sep 25

Hulu Snaps up Abrams-Produced Drama
By: T'Bonz on Sep 25

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Welcome to the Trek BBS! > General Trek Discussion

General Trek Discussion Trek TV and cinema subjects not related to any specific series or movie.

Old July 25 2008, 06:40 PM   #1
RobertScorpio
Pariah

Best 'warp' effect

We have seen various representations of ships going into orbit over the various years for TREK...which was your favorite warp effect of them all? For me? Star Trek The Motion Picture. I still like that tunnel/rainbow and the whole sound effect thing going on as well. Even kirk's wink at Chekov (could you imagine if he had winked at Sulu?)

Rob
Scorpio
RobertScorpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25 2008, 07:41 PM   #2
Carpe Occasio
Fleet Captain

Re: Best 'warp' effect

The warp effect in Nemesis (I think). The Enterprise would leave a visible warp trail and then the flash.
Carpe Occasio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25 2008, 08:38 PM   #3
Basill
Captain

I'd have to say TMP as well. I never liked TNG's version with the whole stretchy thing. Not that there wouldn't be some sort of visual distortion if a ship was able to break the light barrier mind you, but I just thought it looked a little cartoonish from the very beginning of TNG onward. I always did like the light burst effect at the end however. The ENT version looked better, but didn't look particularly realistic.

Visit my Trek Art blog at: http://starstation.wordpress.com/
Basill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25 2008, 08:42 PM   #4
RobertScorpio
Pariah

Basill wrote: View Post
I'd have to say TMP as well. I never liked TNG's version with the whole stretchy thing. Not that there wouldn't be some sort of visual distortion if a ship was able to break the light barrier mind you, but I just thought it looked a little cartoonish from the very beginning of TNG onward. I always did like the light burst effect at the end however. The ENT version looked better, but didn't look particularly realistic.
I agree..the TNG stuff looks pretty cartoonish. And I agree Enterprise improved upon the stretchy-thing. But it just isn't as 'wow' as the TMP effect...

Rob
Scorpio
Old July 25 2008, 08:44 PM   #5
Carpe Occasio
Fleet Captain

RobertScorpio wrote: View Post
I agree..the TNG stuff looks pretty cartoonish. And I agree Enterprise improved upon the stretchy-thing. But it just isn't as 'wow' as the TMP effect...

Rob
Scorpio
I always thought TMP warp effect looked cartoonish.
Old July 25 2008, 08:46 PM   #6
RobertScorpio
Pariah

Carpe Occasio wrote: View Post

Rob
Scorpio
It might be a generational thing. My son agrees with you, he thinks the TMP shots are cartoony too. But maybe it was seeing it that first time in 1979 and being totally awed by it....and then, to me, the technolgy took a step backwards with some of those awful first season FX of TNG.....

Rob
Scorpio
Old July 25 2008, 08:49 PM   #7
Carpe Occasio
Fleet Captain

Rob
Scorpio
It might be a generational thing. My son agrees with you, he thinks the TMP shots are cartoony too. But maybe it was seeing it that first time in 1979 and being totally awed by it....and then, to me, the technolgy took a step backwards with some of those awful first season FX of TNG.....

Rob
Scorpio
Yeah, the effects in the first couple of years of TNG were pretty cheesy. But by the end they were pretty good.

As for TMP, I was disappointed with the whole thing.
Old July 25 2008, 08:59 PM   #8
RobertScorpio
Pariah

Rob
Scorpio
Yeah, the effects in the first couple of years of TNG were pretty cheesy. But by the end they were pretty good.

As for TMP, I was disappointed with the whole thing.
I think at the core they had something with the story...BUT it had already really been done with Nomad already....the whole new life form part is cool (human/A I) but it just takes too long to get there...

And I understand Spock's character was effected by his studies on Vulcan and his mental connection with V'ger, I get all that. But by taking the companionship between Kirk/Spock/ McCoy, which made TOS so good to begin with, and writing against it until the end just didn't make since to me....

Rob
Scorpio
Old July 25 2008, 09:06 PM   #9
drasche
Captain

The warp effect in Nemesis (I think). The Enterprise would leave a visible warp trail and then the flash.
That goes for me too.
Old July 25 2008, 10:12 PM   #10
The Wormhole
Admiral

The effect that's been used since TNG. Simple and effective.
Old July 25 2008, 10:24 PM   #11
Cyke101
Rear Admiral

I quite liked the Star Trek VI effect, if you can call it that. It combined the movies' warp trail with the streaking stars of TNG.
Cyke101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26 2008, 07:09 AM   #12
George Steinbrenner
Fleet Admiral

View George Steinbrenner's Twitter Profile

Quantum slipstream.
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
George Steinbrenner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 26 2008, 07:16 AM   #13
Sheliak
Commodore

Barclay's manipulation of the warp drive in "The Nth Degree".
Sheliak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26 2008, 03:44 PM   #14
RobertScorpio
Pariah

Babaganoosh wrote: View Post
Quantum slipstream.
Sounds like a lower kidney problem to me..

Rob
Scorpio
Old July 26 2008, 09:57 PM   #15
Colonel Midnight
Vice Admiral

I liked both the one in TMP and the slightly-modified one used in TWOK. After that, not so much...

Cheers,
-CM-

0 registered and 0 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
Colonel Midnight is offline   Reply With Quote