Orci Drops Rangers Project
By: T'Bonz on Sep 22

Retro Review: Image in the Sand
By: Michelle on Sep 20

Star Trek: Shadows Of Tyranny Casting Call
By: T'Bonz on Sep 19

USS Vengeance And More Starship Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Sep 19

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

View Poll Results: The Bob Newhart Show or Newhart
The Bob Newhart Show 27 72.97%
Newhart 10 27.03%
Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

Old August 5 2008, 12:02 AM   #1
Amasov
Rear Admiral

The Bob Newhart Show or Newhart?

Vote!

I prefer the original Bob Newhart Show. I think the cast of that one is miles ahead of the Newhart cast. Suzanne Pleshette also had a much better chemistry with Bob which led to a far more believable marriage. I always felt that Dick was always kind of putting up with Joanna and never really bought into them loving each other like a husband and wife do. Newhart, while still a great comedy, to me, got a little trying at times.

The oddballs surrounding Bob in this show as opposed to the original seemed to be very frustrating at times. It was very surreal. The townsfolk were just plain, stupid people a lot of the time. Of course Newhart does have Larry, Darryl, and Darryl. The three guys who made the show. In a sense, they were almost that show's version of The Bob Newhart Show's, Howard. Whenever there seemed to be a dull moment, the trio would enter to applause and some great laughs.

But yes, overall, I prefer The Bob Newhart Show. A far better cast, each with their comedy that made for a truly funny show. I still watch this show once and a while on DVD. It keeps me in hysterics. The show is will over 30 years old, but the comedy isn't dated enough to the point where it's no longer funny.

Great, great show.

Last edited by Amasov; August 5 2008 at 12:13 AM.
Amasov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5 2008, 01:45 AM   #2
Peacemaker
Vice Admiral

Re: The Bob Newhart Show or Newhart?

It has to be The Bob Newhart show. After all, Newhart was just another episode.

DJ Mark Bisson

Say my name, and every color illuminates!
Peacemaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5 2008, 01:59 AM   #3
Velocity
Rear Admiral

the Bob Newhart Show, because of Suzanne Pleshette. You could see what Bob saw in Emily, but Mary Frann was just a fluffy sweater. Newhart was sort of a bizarro world with the studio audience going nuts whenever Larry, Darryl, and Darryl entered, which always aggravated me.
Velocity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5 2008, 01:59 AM   #4
Amasov
Rear Admiral

Peacemaker wrote: View Post
It has to be The Bob Newhart show. After all, Newhart was just another episode.
LOL Good call!

It's worth noting that when Bob was preparing to come back to TV in 1982 with Newhart, one of the original ideas he had was to pick up The Bob Newhart Show four years later and show what had happened in everyone's lives since the original show ended. Interesting to think about how the show would have been if that's the idea they went with.

Last edited by Amasov; August 5 2008 at 02:05 AM.
Amasov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5 2008, 06:09 AM   #5
ancientone51
Rear Admiral

The Bob Newhart Show was and is the best. No question.

And I agree, Newhart was just an extended episode. Good call Peacemaker!

"What f*cking reincarnated royal bug did I step on to earn this?" - Per my insane daughter.
ancientone51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5 2008, 03:09 PM   #6
Nerdius Maximus
Fleet Captain

I'm not really familiar with the Bob Newhart Show, but I love Newhart. Anyone remember "Bob?" Came on CBS sometime in the '90s. I wish they'd release it on dvd.
Nerdius Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5 2008, 04:08 PM   #7
Mistral
Vice Admiral

The Bob Newhart Show. Hands down. Clever writing, a great theme song and (drumroll please) The King Of Snee. How could you go wrong? I mean, any show that could do an entire episode about being locked in a basement storage unit on the fourth of July and make it so funny it gets cited as one of the classic tv moments in the entire decade...

Mistral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5 2008, 04:51 PM   #8
SPOCKED
Admiral

The Bob Newhart Show gets my vote, too. It was a rock from beginning to end. Funny this came up; I just saw two very early Newhart episodes the other night. There was some "cringiness" in the first one, but the next episode (the golf/poker episode) was so funny I literally lost my breath with laughter. Bob kept unintentionally winning golf and poker games to the townies. No matter how hard he tried he couldn't lose to the point where he forced one of them to cut a deck of cards for high/low double or nothing so they could win their money back. He kept winning and one of them tallied up Bob's winnings to around $40,000. The terror in their voices about having kids in college and a mortgage to pay and Bob yelling "CUT!" was too much -- it was genious
SPOCKED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5 2008, 05:40 PM   #9
auntiehill
Fleet Admiral

The Bob Newhart Show gets my vote. Newhart fell flat pretty quickly. The wife was a generic blonde in tacky sweaters; she had no personality at all. And then they added the annoying yuppie couple, who were not believable and not funny. It got old pretty fast.

But on The Bob Newhart Show, you had Suzanne Pleshette. She was his equal, and gave as good as she got. She was a believable character and you loved to watch them together. The annoying neighbors and patients that came in and out where all there to give them something to bounce off of, not become the center of the show.
Old August 5 2008, 06:06 PM   #10
John Picard
Vice Admiral

Another vote for The Bob Newhart Show. Newhart is a drinking game almost no one can win
Old August 5 2008, 06:11 PM   #11
RandyS
Vice Admiral

View RandyS's Twitter Profile

I'm gonna go against the majority here and vote for Newhart. The first three reasons are Larry, his brother Daryl, and his other brother Daryl.

The fourth reason is I've seen all eight seasons of Newhart, and none of Bob Newhart.
RandyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5 2008, 06:31 PM   #12
Michael Chris
Admiral

I dislike the Bob Newhart show. I havde greatly enjoyed Newhart on the other hand. So definitely Newhart.
Old August 5 2008, 08:38 PM   #13
J.T.B.
Commodore

"Newhart" was good for a few seasons, but "The Bob Newhart Show" is one of the all-time greats. Besides Newhart and Pleshette, who were wonderful, Bill Daily, Marcia Wallace, Peter Bonerz and Jack Riley were each good enough to carry an average sitcom. Elliott Carlin is still one of the most cynical, mistrustful, mal-adjusted and hilarious characters ever on TV, 35-odd years later.

--Justin
J.T.B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5 2008, 08:40 PM   #14
John Picard
Vice Admiral

J.T.B. wrote: View Post
"Newhart" was good for a few seasons, but "The Bob Newhart Show" is one of the all-time greats. Besides Newhart and Pleshette, who were wonderful, Bill Daily, Marcia Wallace, Peter Bonerz and Jack Riley were each good enough to carry an average sitcom. Elliott Carlin is still one of the most cynical, mistrustful, mal-adjusted and hilarious characters ever on TV, 35-odd years later.

--Justin

QFT!!!
Old August 5 2008, 09:39 PM   #15
Starbreaker
Fleet Admiral

View Starbreaker's Twitter Profile

Bob Newhart show. Grew up watching it on Nick at Nite. Never really got into Newhart.