Kirk’s Well Wishes To Kirk
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Quinto In New Starz Series
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Star Trek: Horizon Film
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Star Trek: Fleet Captains Game Expansion
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old August 10 2008, 09:09 AM   #46
dragunzng
Rear Admiral

View dragunzng's Twitter Profile
Re: what's with huge production budgets?

Tulin wrote: View Post
dragunzng wrote: View Post
I agree with regards to Wall-E, CG isn't cheap, but TMNT cost roughly 30 million dollars. I know TMNT was done by Imagi (a Korean company) and this helped cut costs, but it's still ridiculous that Wall-E (which admittedly is technically superior) cost 6 times more to create.
No disrespect intended but since I would say "Wall-E" is AT LEAST 6 times better than the awful TMNT movie, I would say it's money well spent.

You pay peanuts, you get little Korean drones working in cubicles making films like that.
Somewhat uncalled for, but I do understand what you're trying to say.

I'm not oblivious to the difference in quality, both technically and artistically between Wall-E and TMNT, I know why one costs more than the other, I'm just remarking about how incredible the difference is.
Old August 10 2008, 09:24 AM   #47
TheMasterOfOrion
Fleet Captain

Trubinator wrote: View Post
Agree?
Totally agree

I still love my explosions, my scifi, my action and my blcokbusters...but I just wish they could scale back with the over-spending

I still have a hunger for blockbusters

IRONMAN for me was a real winner, because even though the movie had top actors and explosions it delivered great bang for its pretty modest budget of $140 million production.

SupermanReturns was a failure, the movie was over the top and dull, its second weekend only totaled $20 million but it managed to claw back some of the loss with healthy dvd sales. Look at the cost of making movies Waterworld ( $230 Mil adj inflation ) SupermanReturns ($300 Mil), KingKong ($210 Mil) and despite the huge sums of money spent these movies were extremely boring or complete flops.
TheMasterOfOrion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10 2008, 02:56 PM   #48
amdmiami
Commander

TheMasterOfOrion wrote: View Post
Trubinator wrote: View Post
Agree?
Totally agree

I still love my explosions, my scifi, my action and my blcokbusters...but I just wish they could scale back with the over-spending

I still have a hunger for blockbusters

IRONMAN for me was a real winner, because even though the movie had top actors and explosions it delivered great bang for its pretty modest budget of $140 million production.

SupermanReturns was a failure, the movie was over the top and dull, its second weekend only totaled $20 million but it managed to claw back some of the loss with healthy dvd sales. Look at the cost of making movies Waterworld ( $230 Mil adj inflation ) SupermanReturns ($300 Mil), KingKong ($210 Mil) and despite the huge sums of money spent these movies were extremely boring or complete flops.
King Kong was a flop? I thought it did quite well at the box office.
(P.M. me if you know where the quote is from )
amdmiami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10 2008, 04:00 PM   #49
drasche
Captain

King Kong made half a billion dollars.
http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=kingkong05.htm
Old August 10 2008, 04:18 PM   #50
Jax
Admiral

Location: The United Kingdom of Great Britain & Northern Ireland

How anyone can say King Kong was a flop needs there head checking last time I check...$550 million off a $207 million budget is good buissness and not too mention the movie was outstanding.

Kong turned out to be very profitable as domestic and worldwide grosses eventually added up to $550 million, becoming the fourth-highest grossing movie in Universal Pictures history. Strong DVD sales also added over $100 million to the grosses.
yeh big failure there.

Superman Returns may of only made $100 million profit or so but thats far from a failure. Who the hell gives any movie a budget that big anyway.
Glengarry Glen Ross (B-) The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug (B+) Dark Skies (B-) Mandela: Long Walk to Freedom (B-) Gravity (C+) Captain Phillips (B) Now You See Me (B) Escape Plan (B-) Captain America: The Winter Soldier (B+)

Last edited by A JaxMas Carol; August 10 2008 at 05:38 PM.
Jax is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 11 2008, 08:05 AM   #51
dragunzng
Rear Admiral

View dragunzng's Twitter Profile

King Kong wasn't a flop, but it did not perform to expectations based on the director's previous work.

Superman Returns budget was inflated because it incorportated all the previous non-starts, Burton's, Ratner's etc.
Old August 11 2008, 08:29 AM   #52
TheMasterOfOrion
Fleet Captain

Where did I say Kong Flopped? I would hate to have you guys sign contracts because you really need to read more carefully I said
extremely boring OR complete flops.
and the big CGI monkey in KingKong was a complete snorefest, it was self-indulgent monkey business, needed an hour edited from it. KingKong was a really expensive and boring B-movie and the actors really didn't amount to much ie "extremely boring"

Jackson's Kong = KingDonkeyKong

To give credit to Jackson he did create a very marketable movie and the movie made lots of money for the studio. However once an audience as been "had", tricked into watching a snorefest it usually leaves a bitter taste in the audiences mouth. So Kong might have been when Peter Jackson finally jumped the shark.

Other movies like Waterworld etc are different stories, they blow their budget. They are marketed badly, word gets out the movies sucks and suddenly every critic in town wants to trash it. Then "Voilà" you have the perfect ingredients for a Mega-Flop
TheMasterOfOrion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11 2008, 03:12 PM   #53
Jax
Admiral

Location: The United Kingdom of Great Britain & Northern Ireland

Where did I say Kong Flopped?

To give credit to Jackson he did create a very marketable movie and the movie made lots of money for the studio.
I wasn't refering to you but ever since that movie out so many people have called it a flop which I cannot understand because

Thus, despite the film's inauspicious start at the box office, King Kong turned out to be very profitable. Ticket and DVD sales combined, the film earned well over $700 million,becoming the fourth-highest grossing movie in Universal Pictures history.
LOTR's are rare so I don't see how it underperformed and the critical reception along with it was wonderful as well.
Glengarry Glen Ross (B-) The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug (B+) Dark Skies (B-) Mandela: Long Walk to Freedom (B-) Gravity (C+) Captain Phillips (B) Now You See Me (B) Escape Plan (B-) Captain America: The Winter Soldier (B+)
Jax is online now   Reply With Quote