The Next Generation Season Seven Blu-ray Details
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

CBS Launches Streaming Service

Yelchin In New Indie Thriller

Saldana In The Book of Life

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old August 6 2008, 11:42 PM   #16
Jim Steele
Vice Admiral

Re: BATMAN 3 RUMOR next Villian??

David Tennant apparently wants to play the Riddler. I can totally see that.
Old August 6 2008, 11:44 PM   #17
davejames
Vice Admiral

1001001 wrote: View Post
Angelina Jolie as Catwoman is the Greatest Idea in the History of Cinema.

It's not a very interesting choice, IMO, but it would definitely be cool to see her in the costume.
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6 2008, 11:45 PM   #18
DarthPipes
Rear Admiral

I really hope they stay away from a big name like Depp or Jolie. Depp will play whoever he does like he does every character now as some whacky, ambigiously gay fool. Jolie is completely overrated and quite frankly, the movie doesn't have to cast a big star as the new villain.
DarthPipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6 2008, 11:46 PM   #19
Thrall
Commodore

Johnny Depp as the Riddler is a great idea, IMHO. Heath Ledger's Joker is going to be a hard act to follow. I've got no doubt that Depp has the acting chops to be a great villain. Not that I've ever seen Depp as a villain in a film, but hey, he was great as the savage antihero of Sweeney Todd. Scale that back quite a bit and I'm sure you'd get something interesting.
I've never been a fan of the character because he's too gimmicky and one-dimensional IMO. Every Riddler story is the same. Riddler plants some bomb and or has some master scheme(that is always derivative of The Joker) that Batman and Robin have to stop by solving all the clues he leaves in time. And they always do. The only people to do a cool, interesting take on him was Dini and Timm. And even then, the character was barely in the series. He's the definition of camp. Which why he's been a comedy character for years. But if anyone could do something good with him it's Depp and Nolan.

I'd like to see him back (I had thought the film would leave him alive to be used more prominently in a sequel); but it'd be hard to explain away that apparent corpse. It'd be a lot easier to bring back Ras al-Ghul, and even easier to bring back Scarecrow (what happened to him, anyway?).
They were kind of ambigious about it though. They strongly implied it but they didn't actually say he was dead. It's one of those, if they bring him back he was either in a coma or just got knocked out and they locked him up somewhere type things.

An intellectual gentleman Mexican Pro-Wrestler sounds like a punchline to me rather than a villain. I know a lot of people were unhappy with the character's depiction in Batman & Robin, but with a costume that ridiculous being a lumbering oaf is easier to swallow. Maybe if they overhauled the concept it could work.
Yeah but you could say that about anything. Pretty much all comic book outfits look dumb in real life. A little tweaking here and there and he'd look fine. The outfit is not why people liked the character. They liked the character because he was menacing as fuck. He was Bruce's equal in every way and was the only guy that ever got the better of Bruce. He was the one guy that Bruce couldn't beat no matter how much "time he had to prepare". And the very idea of someone like that, well was just terrifying to fans.
Old August 6 2008, 11:57 PM   #20
dragunzng
Rear Admiral

View dragunzng's Twitter Profile

I'd really rather not see Depp or Hoffman as The Riddler or The Penguin, while I'm sure they'd do a great job, they both seem like such safe casting choices. I'd go in pretty much knowing what to expect from both!
Old August 7 2008, 12:22 AM   #21
Zachary Smith
Vice Admiral

davejames wrote: View Post
1001001 wrote: View Post
Angelina Jolie as Catwoman is the Greatest Idea in the History of Cinema.

It's not a very interesting choice, IMO, but it would definitely be cool to see her in the costume.

I disagree. If Angelina Jolie were to approach a portrayal of Catwoman with the same kind of sociopathic, semi-homicidal/emotional vulnerability wobble she used for her character in "Girl Interrupted" I think it might rival Ledger's Joker. And I say that as someone who LOVED Heath Ledger's Joker.

My favorite TV show is "Cool Hand Luke Skywalker--Texas Ranger". The best episode is the one where he fights Samantha's wacky Sith Lord Uncle, Darth Arthur . . ."
Zachary Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7 2008, 01:02 AM   #22
Kegek
Rear Admiral

T'Baio wrote: View Post
The only reason Depp is fanboy rumoured to play The Riddler is because he's the only actor people can think of who has the acting calibre to compete with and possibly make you forget Ledger's Joker...which is the biggest hurdle facing Nolan and crew.

But it ain't gonna' happen.
Then what is? Catwoman? Non-Depp Riddler? Egghead?

It's Egghead, right?

Thrall wrote: View Post
But if anyone could do something good with him it's Depp and Nolan.
Precisely.

They were kind of ambigious about it though. They strongly implied it but they didn't actually say he was dead. It's one of those, if they bring him back he was either in a coma or just got knocked out and they locked him up somewhere type things.
I don't know. The scene doesn't make a lot of sense if they're not assuming he's dead, and anyway I think bringing him back would be a bit of a cheat. And I'd like to see him back. But I think it'd undercut that ending.

Yeah but you could say that about anything. Pretty much all comic book outfits look dumb in real life. A little tweaking here and there and he'd look fine.
True but you'd have to drop the Pro-Wrestler thing IMHO. How important is that to the character? Yes, I'm aware it's an odd criterion: I can accept a clown as a villain but not a Pro-Wrestler. Well, clowns can be creepy and psychotic: Pro-Wrestlers are just unintentional humour - and decidedly campier than the more serious takes on the Riddler. Make him a strong intelligent guy whose wardrobe is a little bit more on the intidimating side and he'd be fine.

- All About Eve.

Last edited by Kegek; August 7 2008 at 01:12 AM.
Kegek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7 2008, 01:09 AM   #23
kalysto
Captain

The idea of Angelina Jolie in the next Batman fills me with dread. I just can't see how she would fit into the dark, gritty world Nolan created. She is too polished and generically sexy.
kalysto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7 2008, 01:34 AM   #24
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

I had an argument with a friend yesterday about whether Angela was nearly 40 or nearly 50. James McAvoy looked young enough to be her child in Wanted. She's coasting on nostalgia thinking she can pass for anything but a lady in her 30's who has had a lot of work done.

Dye her hair blue and cast her as Aunt Harriet.

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7 2008, 01:36 AM   #25
Capt_Piett
Rear Admiral

kalysto wrote: View Post
The idea of Angelina Jolie in the next Batman fills me with dread. I just can't see how she would fit into the dark, gritty world Nolan created. She is too polished and generically sexy.
You are familiar with the way Selina Kyle/Catwoman's been written the last few years, yes?
Old August 7 2008, 01:49 AM   #26
LightSith
Lieutenant Commander

Capt_Piett wrote: View Post
kalysto wrote: View Post
You are familiar with the way Selina Kyle/Catwoman's been written the last few years, yes?
He said Nolan's world, not the way comics have been. If Nolan sticks with his current choices, he'll pick the actress best for the part. End of story.

Personally, I think Catwoman would make a fantastic addition to the next film. She would fit with the outlaw/redemption motif. She couldn't be a villain, but she'd make a great side character. I think the will probably be Gotham, but they would need a figure that represents it. That's the trick.
LightSith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7 2008, 02:13 AM   #27
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

Catwoman is too obvious.

Been there. Done that.

There's Talia to consider which would reverberate off the first movie, however I would be curious if she'd be caste with a Arabic or Irish ancestry considering who played her father in the first movie?

Personally the rumors before the first movie that Rachel was really Talia got me stinking wet.

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7 2008, 02:47 AM   #28
Haytil
Captain

Frontier wrote: View Post
For the next year or so, I would not expect anything concrete to come out about the next Batman film. When stuff does begin to come out, it will be if it's happening and who is involve in the early creative stages.

Casting news on this crop of Batman films has always been late to the party. We did not know of Ledger or Eckhart until a few months before shooting.
We knew about Ledger during the summer of 2006, and filming didn't begin until May of 2007. That's almost a year ahead of filming.

When they make announcements (probably next summer), it'll be the same information we got last time: The name of the movie, the director (Nolan), the fact that the old cast is returning (they're contracted to), and the primary villain (along with the actor, most likely).

And we won't get a drop more (or less) than that for another half-year or so afterwards.
Haytil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7 2008, 03:04 AM   #29
Norrin Radd
Vice Admiral

I think the next actor to play a villain will be an off-the-wall choice, just like Ledger was.
Norrin Radd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7 2008, 03:16 AM   #30
MeanJoePhaser
Admiral

Maybe they'd do better thinking outside the box.

Me, I'd have Selina Kyle appear in the next film...as the name of a murdered prostitute. All the fan ire would soooo be worth it.

I'm curious if greed won't make them rush production of the next movie or have them film the next two sequels at the same time. Maybe if Nolan drops out. There was only 2 years between the releases of BATMAN FOREVER and BATMAN AND ROBIN. (The quality shows, but...)
MeanJoePhaser is offline   Reply With Quote