Kirk’s Well Wishes To Kirk
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Quinto In New Starz Series
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Star Trek: Horizon Film
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Star Trek: Fleet Captains Game Expansion
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

Old August 25 2008, 05:48 PM   #1
JD
Admiral

IKS Gorkon characters

I was wondering pretty much the same thing that EnochRoot was about the SCE characters, only this time about the IKS Gorkon crew.
Harry Dresden - Blood Rites (The Dresden Files #6)
JD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25 2008, 07:11 PM   #2
Mike Farley
Commodore

Re: IKS Gorkon characters

Could we vague this up a bit more?
Mike Farley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 25 2008, 08:13 PM   #3
captcalhoun
Admiral

i presume he means, why'd KRAD pick the screen characters he did, did he leave any out and why?
captcalhoun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25 2008, 08:16 PM   #4
EmperorKalan
Commander

Mike Farley wrote: View Post
Could we vague this up a bit more?
I think he means this:

CoE characters question
I think this is best directed at KRAD who was the series editor, but anyone with knowledge feel free to jump in!

I am curious as to the reasons why a few of the on-screen characters that made the leap to CoE regulars were chosen.

I 'get' what caused Gomez and Lense to be memorable guest-spot characters. And I can 'see' the process behind selecting them and the storytelling potential they possessed from the get-go. But, what traits did Duffy and Stevens exhibit during their episodes that made lasting impressions? Did editors know these characters had story potential or was it a matter of finding a few familiar faces and filling in the rest later?

Did you guys create the broad outlines of the Gomez and Corsi romance subplots first and then select the men (or vice versa) or were those plot lines created after Duffy and Stevens had already been selected?

Were there any other on-screen characters considered for the CoE as regulars that were ultimately rejected? Are you able to share who they were and the thought process behind why they were not selected?
...with COE-specific questions converted to ones about the Gorkon crew.
main drive is gone...
turret number one not responding...
Mayday...
losing cabin pressure fast...
calling anyone...
please help...
EmperorKalan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25 2008, 09:30 PM   #5
JD
Admiral

Yeah, sorry. I was just try to make the post real quick before I had to leave for class.
Old August 26 2008, 02:30 AM   #6
foravalon
Fleet Captain

There was a Gomez and Corsi romance subplot? Geez the things I miss when I don't read between the lines!
foravalon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26 2008, 06:06 PM   #7
KRAD
Keith R.A. DeCandido

View KRAD's Twitter Profile

Well, the I.K.S. Gorkon crew was a slightly different beast, since I was throwing them together mainly as guest stars in a TNG book. Had I been creating the crew with an emphasis toward a series, I might've thrown more original characters in (which I wound up doing anyhow with the additional characters needed for the series books).

Just as with COE the first person that came to mind was Gomez because I loved her and wanted to see more, the first person that came to mind to use on the Gorkon was Leskit. The John Munch of Klingons, David Graf's snide Klingon pilot from "Soldiers of the Empire" was simply a magnificent creation, and one I have had great fun writing.

Klag was second on the list, as I was very much intrigued by the character in "A Matter of Honor," and I particularly wanted to play on the messed-up relationship with his father that he told Riker about in the mess hall. (That mess hall scene in "AMoH," by the way, is one of my all-time favorites in Trek history.)

As for the rest... Kurak was chosen mainly because I love Tricia O'Neill, and I wound up having a great time with her both on her own and with her relationship with Leskit. (Had I known I was going to a series, I never would've had Leskit transfer off at the end of Diplomatic Implausibility. For that matter, I would've kept Vall around....) "Birthright" was a favorite episode of mine, so I wanted to see how Toq was doing. By contrast, "Sons of Mogh" was one of my least favorite episodes, so I put Rodek in there so I could explore that particular issue.

"Even when you turn your back, you're facing something."
KRAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26 2008, 08:06 PM   #8
JD
Admiral

Cool, thanks for the info.