Coto Drama Sold To Fox
By: T'Bonz on Sep 12

Braga Inks Deal
By: T'Bonz on Sep 12

Remastered Original Series Re-release
By: T'Bonz on Sep 11

UK Trek Ships Calendar Debuts
By: T'Bonz on Sep 10

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > The Next Generation

The Next Generation All Good Things come to an end...but not here.

Old August 5 2008, 05:54 AM   #1
FatherRob
Rear Admiral

Location: Citizen of the Kingdom of God (Living in Bargersville, IN)
"Too Short a Season" to have featured Kirk?

Over at the English Wikipedia article on "A Private Little War" the following is noted...
The Star Trek: The Next Generation episode "Too Short a Season", the aging Admiral was originally supposed to be Captain Kirk confronting the results of equally arming two hostile tribes at the same time in a sequel of "A Private Little War"
I had never heard that one before. Is there any other information on the 'original' story with Kirk avaliable?

Rob+
Old August 5 2008, 06:16 AM   #2
22 Stars
Commodore

Re: "Too Short a Season" to have featured Kirk?

Yes, I have read this as well, even just if it was in the script stages. I believe there is mention of this in Eric Stillwell's book about the making of Yesterday's Enterprise, if I remember correctly... but it may have been somewhere else...
22 Stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5 2008, 07:54 AM   #3
Hardin
Captain

View Hardin's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Hardin

too bad it didn't happen... I would have liked that. Though I'm guessing a few things in the plot would have been different, the ending for one.
Old August 5 2008, 08:06 AM   #4
Kegek
Rear Admiral

IIRC, the episode originally was to be a sequel to "A Private Little War." The planet which they're bringing Kirk to negotiate on would have been the planet from that episode.

- All About Eve.
Kegek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5 2008, 06:20 PM   #5
Holdfast
Procul, O procul este profani!

Never knew this, but it would have been interesting to see that take on it.
Holdfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5 2008, 07:43 PM   #6
J. Allen
Taste The Rainbow™

Send a message via ICQ to J. Allen Send a message via AIM to J. Allen Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to J. Allen Send a message via Yahoo to J. Allen

Ha! I just finished watching this episode 10 minutes ago. That would have been very interesting to see, although I do love this episode and consider it one of the better Season 1 episodes.

J.
J. Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5 2008, 10:57 PM   #7
Ryan Thomas Riddle
Rear Admiral

View Ryan Thomas Riddle's Twitter Profile

I've read this too over at wikipedia and at Memory Alpha; however, I've never seen any documentation on this from any primary or secondary sources. Thus, I've been suspect that this is even true especially considering that this is a first-season episode and in the first year of TNG, Roddenberry was dead set against having any references to TOS. Well, at least, such a direct reference.

Has D.C. Fontana, who worked on the episode, mention this in any interviews?
Old August 5 2008, 11:10 PM   #8
Timo
Admiral

The plot could basically have worked almost unaltered. I mean, since we never learned the name of the planet in "A Private Little War", no dramatic surprise would be spoiled by the discussion of the identity of the planet in "Too Short a Season". We never learned the names of Kirk's or the Hill People's opponents, either, so discussion of the name of this nemesis guy would not have revealed the connection to the TOS episode prematurely, either.

Having the geriatric Kirk (and his wife?) aboard would have been interesting for the crew and audience alike - and discovering that he was actually the villain of the piece would be a stunning surprise to both. And yes, it would have been quite interesting to see Kirk die of a fountain-of-youth potion, exiting the stage as a complete loser after cheating death and defeat for so long...

Timo Saloniemi
Timo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6 2008, 01:47 AM   #9
CaptainStoner
Knuckle-dragging TNZ Denizen

I haven't come across a Fontana interview about this. I don't think using Kirk for the episode made it much beyond the original concept. TNG had yet to prove itself, some of the TOS crew were a bit distanced from it at first, and bottom line, Shatner's asking price was probably way too high for S1 TNG production.
CaptainStoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6 2008, 12:06 PM   #10
Bad Atom
Commodore

View Bad Atom's Twitter Profile

I think it would have been too soon to use Kirk, if that was the original plan. TNG was accused early on of using the original series as a crutch (just look at "The Naked Now") and wanted to distance itself from TOS pretty strongly. It took three seasons just to show Sarek.

I also can't see Shatner playing that role as written. Kirk as antagonist wouldn't have gone over well with him, I imagine. Not to mention the $$$ involved.

(Also, wouldn't "Too Short a Season" have been the perfect title for season two's finale?)
Bad Atom is offline   Reply With Quote