Saldana In The Book of Life
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

Cracked’s New Sci-Fi Satire
By: T'Bonz on Oct 16

Beltran Introduces Shakespeare To Theater Group

Burton To Be Honored at Facets Boo! Bash

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Site Forums > TrekToday News Items

TrekToday News Items Discussion of TrekToday news items

Old August 4 2008, 11:32 PM   #1
TrekToday
Rear Admiral

First Cut of 'Star Trek XI' Finished

The first cut of Star Trek XI was recently screened for Paramount Studio Boss Brad Grey and other Paramount bigwigs who were impressed with the quality of the film.

As reported by TrekMovie.com, the first cut was completed four months after principal photography wrapped on Star Trek XI by J.J. Abrams and editors Maryann Brandon and Mary Jo Markey.

The screening, held last week, was a big success. Various comments coming from different sources who were privileged to watch the initial effort ranged from "a hit," and "very impressive," to "far beyond expectations." Expectations for Star Trek XI have been high and were a factor in the movie being moved from its original December 2008 release date to May 2009.

There is still much work to be done, including the special effects and the music, which will be done by Michael Giacchino. Fans are waiting for the release of the theatrical trailer, which is edited, but is not yet finalized. The trailer is expected out sometime this year.

To read more, head to the article located here.

Old August 5 2008, 01:57 AM   #2
Augustus
Fleet Captain

Re: First Cut of 'Star Trek XI' Finished

well, it would be interesting to see an unfinished movie, without music, and much of the special effects and extra sound...

... and still call it a hit.
Old August 5 2008, 02:26 AM   #3
Procutus
Admiral

Let's hope the suits are on target with their assessment. I like the part about it 'exceeding expectations'.

Let's hope.

Old August 5 2008, 02:27 AM   #4
DorkBoy [TM]
Captain

"We are all very pleased."

Old August 5 2008, 02:31 AM   #5
Augustus
Fleet Captain

I love how everyone keeps bringing up "We are all very pleased."
haha
Old August 5 2008, 02:36 AM   #6
number6
Vice Admiral

Location: number6 has left the village through some inexpicable hole in the ground to head the corporation.

Augustus wrote: View Post
I love how everyone keeps bringing up "We are all very pleased."
haha
I don't.
It's petty and juvenile.
Old August 5 2008, 06:14 AM   #7
cardinal biggles
THE ZEPPO

Send a message via ICQ to cardinal biggles Send a message via AIM to cardinal biggles Send a message via Yahoo to cardinal biggles

Yes, it's petty and juvenile to joke about the man who helped take Star Trek from "sittin' on top of the world" to "full of fail" in the span of a decade.

This early positive reaction to the screening is good. Special effects and music can only add so much, and shouldn't be expected to carry a film. So if this reaction is strictly off the story and performances (and whatever ILM has completed to date), then I think it's a good sign.
"For those of you playing the home game, this is what is known as a 'Prince Albert'. And I'm sure that was his last wish. 'Victoria, I'm dying. I want you to name a museum, a performance hall, and a bolt through the cock after me.'"
—Robin Williams, Live on Broadway
Old August 5 2008, 06:58 AM   #8
number6
Vice Admiral

Location: number6 has left the village through some inexpicable hole in the ground to head the corporation.

cardinal biggles wrote: View Post
Yes, it's petty and juvenile to joke about the man who helped take Star Trek from "sittin' on top of the world" to "full of fail" in the span of a decade.
I'm glad we agree.
Old August 5 2008, 08:29 AM   #9
Pioneer
Captain

This early positive reaction to the screening is good. Special effects and music can only add so much, and shouldn't be expected to carry a film. So if this reaction is strictly off the story and performances (and whatever ILM has completed to date), then I think it's a good sign.
Excuse my ignorance (again!) but I don't get the whole "We are all very pleased." thing. Seems to be a bone of contention of some kind. Could someone please explain? Thanks.
Looking to build Element #137 (Feynmanium)
Old August 5 2008, 09:01 AM   #10
number6
Vice Admiral

Pioneer wrote: View Post

Excuse my ignorance (again!) but I don't get the whole "We are all very pleased." thing. Seems to be a bone of contention of some kind. Could someone please explain? Thanks.
Every time Rick Berman gave an interview about something he would say he was very pleased with what was coming up, even though some detracters would always be disappointed no matter what because they thing Berman is the Anti-christ who destroyed Star Trek. It seemed like the only thing he ever said in interviews is "We are all very pleased," and then it would be crap. It got to the point where everytime he gave an interview someone would chime in with that and it was always in some petty, childish, antagonistic way.. Because everything Berman touched turned to shit.
It was stupid and ridiculous then and it's even moreso now, since Berman is no longer involved with Star Trek.
Old August 5 2008, 02:05 PM   #11
cardinal biggles
THE ZEPPO

Send a message via ICQ to cardinal biggles Send a message via AIM to cardinal biggles Send a message via Yahoo to cardinal biggles

number6 wrote: View Post
I'm glad we agree.
It would seem we also agree that you need to have your sarcasm detector upgraded.
"For those of you playing the home game, this is what is known as a 'Prince Albert'. And I'm sure that was his last wish. 'Victoria, I'm dying. I want you to name a museum, a performance hall, and a bolt through the cock after me.'"
—Robin Williams, Live on Broadway
Old August 5 2008, 02:36 PM   #12
apostle83
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to apostle83 Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to apostle83 Send a message via Yahoo to apostle83

I'm excited that someone besides the beebs are pleased.
Old August 5 2008, 04:33 PM   #13
ncc74302
Captain

Send a message via AIM to ncc74302 Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to ncc74302 Send a message via Yahoo to ncc74302

DorkBoy [TM] wrote: View Post
"We are all very pleased."

Darnit. You beat me to it. I was gonna throw that in too.
Old August 5 2008, 05:28 PM   #14
Augustus
Fleet Captain

well, most people here seem to have utter disdain for "we are all very pleased".

I guess I just don't take the comment that seriously...
Old August 5 2008, 08:17 PM   #15
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

All these years later? It's that and a few more things besides.

But hell, there are old fans who froth and foam over Fred Freiberger, so I guess that's just fandom.