Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Rumor Mill: Saldana Gives Birth
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

New Line of Anovos Enterprise Uniforms
By: T'Bonz on Dec 11

Frakes: Sign Me Up!
By: T'Bonz on Dec 11

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old August 9 2008, 05:37 PM   #106
Out Of My Vulcan Mind
Vice Admiral

Re: So is the pressure on Superman?

Superman: The Movie was released in 1978, by the way.
Old August 9 2008, 06:27 PM   #107
davejames
Vice Admiral

Captaindemotion wrote: View Post
I think if the sequel to SR contains more action, gives Superman more to do, more sparring and interaction with Lois and a worthy opponent, it'll generate as much goodwill as any reboot. Let's face it, a lot of people won't care if it's a sequel or a reboot. Just as long as the bloody thing entertains.
Exactly. The only ones who are overly-obsessed with the style and look of SR are the fanboys.

For everyone else, all they really care about is whether a movie is fun, action-packed, and fast-paced. If the SR sequel manages to be all those things, then it'll make more than enough money.
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9 2008, 09:52 PM   #108
Bad Bishop
Rear Admiral

davejames wrote: View Post
Captaindemotion wrote: View Post
I think if the sequel to SR contains more action, gives Superman more to do, more sparring and interaction with Lois and a worthy opponent, it'll generate as much goodwill as any reboot. Let's face it, a lot of people won't care if it's a sequel or a reboot. Just as long as the bloody thing entertains.
Exactly. The only ones who are overly-obsessed with the style and look of SR are the fanboys.

For everyone else, all they really care about is whether a movie is fun, action-packed, and fast-paced. If the SR sequel manages to be all those things, then it'll make more than enough money.
Do you folks believe that a reboot would absolutely require recasting all the roles?
Old August 9 2008, 10:12 PM   #109
Out Of My Vulcan Mind
Vice Admiral

Bad Bishop wrote: View Post
Do you folks believe that a reboot would absolutely require recasting all the roles?
There'll definitely be disagreement about this, but I think it would require recasting the roles - certainly the lead roles. It would muddy the marketing waters way too much to keep Routh and/or Bosworth in a reboot.
Old August 10 2008, 01:13 AM   #110
The Old Building & Loan
Vice Admiral

I'd be happy if they kept Routh but recast the suit. Lower the neckline a bit, make the "S" a bit larger, brighten it up a tad...and does anyone else think it's strange that Batman's running around in a cloth cape while Superman's is all leathery...?
Old August 10 2008, 02:05 AM   #111
Bad Bishop
Rear Admiral

Out Of My Vulcan Mind wrote: View Post
Bad Bishop wrote: View Post
There'll definitely be disagreement about this, but I think it would require recasting the roles - certainly the lead roles. It would muddy the marketing waters way too much to keep Routh and/or Bosworth in a reboot.
If not for Lois' son in SR, we wouldn't be hearing so many calls for a reboot.

I'd keep the cast and place my hopes in the next screenplay to make things “right” (and that doesn't necessarily mean getting rid of Jason).

Last edited by Bad Bishop; August 10 2008 at 02:13 AM.
Bad Bishop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10 2008, 03:16 AM   #112
Chess Piece Face
Commodore

Yes, I think reboot has to = new actors. Routh was nothing but a Reeves stand in, he had zero presence, hell, Lois boyfriend was not only more heroic, easier to root for, but more charismatic as well.

And the kid? C'mon.
Chess Piece Face is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10 2008, 05:58 AM   #113
Galactus
Rear Admiral

Why else would you do a reboot if you are not going to recast the character's. There was no real need to recast the Incredible Hulk but they did, and the characters fit more than these do.

All that said, I have no problem with Routh staying and everyone else leaving. It seems like he is getting plenty of work now so he doesn't need the role anymore.

What we need now is a predictions thread, so we can start predictions on what will happen, so we have proof of who was right and who was wrong.
Old August 10 2008, 07:27 AM   #114
Bad Bishop
Rear Admiral

Galactus wrote: View Post
Why else would you do a reboot if you are not going to recast the characters. There was no real need to recast the Incredible Hulk but they did, and the characters fit more than these do.
I think we were lucky in the case of The Incredible Hulk. As for recasting the next Superman film, my view is "be careful what you wish for." Remember some of the names that were tossed around before Singer found Routh.

Regarding the problem of Superman's son, I think the new writers should work on it before the studio takes the drastic step of throwing Singer's cast over the side.
Old August 10 2008, 08:12 AM   #115
Crewman6
Commodore

Chess Piece Face wrote: View Post
Yes, I think reboot has to = new actors. Routh was nothing but a Reeves stand in, he had zero presence, hell, Lois boyfriend was not only more heroic, easier to root for, but more charismatic as well.

And the kid? C'mon.
Agree 100%!

Time for a "Do over", everyone.
Crewman6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10 2008, 02:31 PM   #116
Stone_Cold_Sisko
Vice Admiral

I'm definately ready for something new. It of course depends on who takes over, it could be a Tim Burton thing all over again, but as long as they get someone good, I'd love to see it.

Routh was a charming Clark Kent actually, but I'm just very tired of constantly aping the Reeve movies. He was a great Superman, but I think people don't give the general audiences nearly enough credit when they insist that people will only accept a Reeves type as Superman.

That's because he's the only guy to BE in a live action Superman film, they've never had a chance to "accept" anyone else.

I love the Donner film, but it's 2008 and that was 1978, THIRTY YEARS ago. An entire generation has grown up watchign things like TAS, Smallville, and JLU. We can give it a rest with the worship for that film. The next Superman should not be a ChristopherReeve-imitator.
Stone_Cold_Sisko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10 2008, 02:48 PM   #117
The Old Building & Loan
Vice Admiral

^You're forgetting George Reeves, who began his stint in Superman vs. the Mole Men.

Galactus wrote: View Post
There was no real need to recast the Incredible Hulk but they did
They had to, because Shrek was asking for way too much money this time.
Old August 10 2008, 02:52 PM   #118
T'Baio
Admiral

I have a lot of problems with Superman Returns, but Routh was not one of them. I thought he was fantastic and would really hate to see him go. I even loved Kevin Spacey. Kate Bosworth, however...ugh.

I'd really like to see Singer get his chance at The Man of Steel. After Returns, the studio will keep their eye on him and make sure he sticks to the script, which is what was needed on Returns. As long as he has a leash on him, and there's a fantastic script, I think Singer would make an incredible Superman film. Just don't let him shoot every whim he has during production and convince an editor with things that completely muddy the themes.
On Facebook
T'Baio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10 2008, 03:08 PM   #119
Yassim
Fleet Captain

T'Baio wrote: View Post
I have a lot of problems with Superman Returns, but Routh was not one of them. I thought he was fantastic and would really hate to see him go.
Agreed.

Above, you refer to changes Singer made in the script. What were these changes?
Old August 10 2008, 03:19 PM   #120
T'Baio
Admiral

It wasn't so much he changed the script, but Singer has a tendency to come up with spontaneous ideas on set, and then shoot them...kinda' like a fanboy. "Hey...wouldn't it be cool if we had a flashback to Superman as a kid jumping through the cornfields? We're already out here shooting his return. Hey, producer, figure out how we can do that!" Two days later, they're shooting that in an improvised schedule. (I'm not saying that's how that scene came to be, just an example.) As he does that more and more, and he falls in love with his ideas, the original theme of the picture begins to be lost. It worked for him in the past, X2 is a fantastic film, but it is the source of some of the casts displeasure with the working experience, most notably Halle Berry's.

The original theme of Superman Returns, which was contained much more in the script, was how would a world who was used to Superman react to his disappearance and how would that world resent him when he returned? This was shown in a macrocosm and in microcosm through Lois. You can still see this in tiny bits and pieces throughout the film, but it is diluted and pretty much lost in all the film's digressions. I don't know for sure exactly what scenes are Singer's indulgences, but I predict most of them are Luthor bits, small action beats, and mostly the overt Donner nostalgia.
On Facebook
T'Baio is offline   Reply With Quote