Sci-Fried To Release New Album
By: T'Bonz on Jul 28

Star Trek/Planet of the Apes Crossover

Star Trek into Darkness Soundtrack

Horse 1, Shatner 0

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old August 2 2008, 09:17 PM   #1
Biggshow
Fleet Captain

Finally catching up with "Alias"

For a number of reasons (mostly grad school), I never caught this show first run. Now, thanks to the awe and mystery of Netflix, I've seen the first 16 eps of season one. Wow. What's going on? No, don't tell me. Just tell me I'm in for more fun than humans ought to be allowed to have.
Old August 2 2008, 10:21 PM   #2
ancientone51
Rear Admiral

Re: Finally catching up with "Alias"

Welcome to the club!

First season is tops.

A couple of the later ones...get a bit much. Focus shifts a bit.

Forget the romance angels...focus on the family dynamics...and they will drive you nuts.

Enjoy!

"What f*cking reincarnated royal bug did I step on to earn this?" - Per my insane daughter.
ancientone51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2 2008, 11:38 PM   #3
unimatrix7
Rear Admiral

Great show. IMO, Season 2 is one of the best seasons of television ever produced (that I've seen, anyway ). Absolutely fucking incredible from start to finish.

Well...almost to finish
unimatrix7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3 2008, 12:14 AM   #4
kalysto
Captain

Seasons one and two are great, three is good stuff too, just not reaching the heights of the previous two. Can't say much about the last two seasons, have not got around to them yet.
kalysto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3 2008, 12:53 AM   #5
DarKush
Rear Admiral

I thought there were five seasons. with five being shortened?

Anyway, seasons 1 & 2 were awesome in my book. Season 3 veered off course, Season 4 tried to get the mojo back, and I pretty much gave up on Season 5 though I did watch the series finale.

I hope you enjoy the series. When it was good, it was really good, and when it wasn't it left me scratching my head.
DarKush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3 2008, 07:04 PM   #6
Warp Coil
Rear Admiral

Seasons 1-2 are very solid. You can't go wrong there. Season 3 is still pretty good, IMO, but it does sort of get off-course a bit. Season 4 is lackluster and underwhelming. Season 5 improves but still doesn't get the show back on-track to its glory days. It's still a very entertaining show, though, and I recommend it.
"I managed to find Uno and Checkers, and also parts of Battleship and most of the pieces of Candy Land, which I figure, I can mix together to create a fabulous new game, CandyShipBattleLand. War never tasted so good." - Lorelai Gilmore
Warp Coil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3 2008, 07:30 PM   #7
Worf2DS9
Writer

I also really enjoyed Alias. As others mentioned, I think Season 1 & 2 are great, Season 3 is good, and 4 & 5 are just okay. But if you love the first few seasons, I don't see how you can possible not watch the last two and enjoy them to bits anyway.
+ Full Throttle Space Tales #3: Space Grunts - "Rush"
Worf2DS9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3 2008, 08:15 PM   #8
DarthPipes
Rear Admiral

Season 1 and 2 were some of the best on television. The seasons after that were still good but they were never able to recapture what they had those first two years. It certainly wasn't because of the cast, who were uniformily excellent from start to finish.
DarthPipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3 2008, 08:42 PM   #9
Christopher
Writer

Throwing in my two cents... the first season and a half are excellent, but they end up overextending the concept, getting a bit repetitive and implausible. They tried to revamp things late in season 2, and they had good reason to in my opinion, but what they ended up with was not an improvement. Seasons 3 and 4 are uneven, unfocused, and way too dark and angsty. Season 5 was a major improvement, because they remembered to start having fun with the concept again.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4 2008, 07:18 PM   #10
Mr Light
Admiral

S1: one of the best TV seasons ever produced.
S2: mostly just as good.
S3: Mediocrity.
S4: Even worse... until the final third which is amazing.
S5: Alias: The Next Generation. Spin-off. Lame.

Unfortunately ALIAS will always be one of those missed opportunities to me, a show that started out brilliant and quickly faded into blandness. The first season promised such a fascinating in-depth storyline of secrets and answers that never surfaced. It basically started out as LOST and quickly became homogenized.

Mr Light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4 2008, 09:14 PM   #11
Warp Coil
Rear Admiral

Mr Light wrote: View Post
S1: one of the best TV seasons ever produced.

S5: Alias: The Next Generation. Spin-off. Lame.
I really wouldn't describe season 5 like that at all. While some new characters were introduced in the final season (and there was some speculation as to if they'd continue the series without Jennifer Garner), the focus remained on Sydney Bristow throughout.
"I managed to find Uno and Checkers, and also parts of Battleship and most of the pieces of Candy Land, which I figure, I can mix together to create a fabulous new game, CandyShipBattleLand. War never tasted so good." - Lorelai Gilmore
Warp Coil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4 2008, 09:16 PM   #12
captcalhoun
Admiral

Alias is pure win. largely because i fancy the pants off Jen, Mia and Rachel.

but also because they really made the most of their budgets and made it really like a movie each week.

even when they did cock things up (gun-toting security guards in Britain, where most COPS don't carry guns?!?!)
captcalhoun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4 2008, 11:23 PM   #13
crouteru
Captain

Seasons 1 and 2 are awesome. Season 3 is generally good. Seasons 4 and 5 are pretty bad for abandoning the main story, starting a new one, and not really solving anything. The final episode was a sad waste.
crouteru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4 2008, 11:59 PM   #14
Christopher
Writer

I liked the final episode. Especially the opening action sequence, where Michael Giacchino got to do this fantastic extended music cue that runs for something like seven and a half minutes. That alone would make it worth seeing even if nothing else did.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5 2008, 12:44 AM   #15
ancientone51
Rear Admiral

I also loved the last ep. Victor's last scene still makes me react much as I did at teh time...a mix of incredable feelings, it was perfect.

"What f*cking reincarnated royal bug did I step on to earn this?" - Per my insane daughter.
ancientone51 is offline   Reply With Quote