RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 138,404
Members: 24,626
Currently online: 599
Newest member: space2050

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Closed Thread

Old July 31 2008, 10:06 PM   #1
Jon1701
Rear Admiral

Uniform Confirmation from Trekmovie.com

Trekmovie has confirmation of what type of uniforms they will be wearing. I'd pretty much guessed that's what they would wear anyway (after what James Cawley said)

http://trekmovie.com/2008/07/31/star...form-spoilers/

Post your encouraging noises/incoherent rants about how abrams hates trek* here. All looks good to me so far.

*delete where applicable.
Old July 31 2008, 10:56 PM   #2
Surak
Fleet Captain

Re: Uniform Confirmation from Trekmovie.com

I still say they should have gone exact, but what do I know.
Old July 31 2008, 10:57 PM   #3
ManOnTheWave
Rear Admiral

Hmm. I'm surprised by the lack of a collar, and the pin instead of a patch. However, whatever changes made don't seem to look bad to me so far. So cool.
Old July 31 2008, 11:00 PM   #4
Surak
Fleet Captain

I am really wondering about the Starfleet Academy uniform....I wonder if it will be like Finnigan's (i.e. silver in color)?
Old July 31 2008, 11:10 PM   #5
Dale
Vice Admiral

I am imagning thousands of fan costumers trying desperately to get ahold of this new fabric with subtle delta shields woven right into it.
For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear. - 2 Timothy 4:3
Old July 31 2008, 11:10 PM   #6
AdmiralGarak
Rear Admiral

Surak wrote: View Post
I am really wondering about the Starfleet Academy uniform....I wonder if it will be like Finnigan's (i.e. silver in color)?
Old July 31 2008, 11:13 PM   #7
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile

I find myself wishing they'd stick to the command color as it was *supposed* to be - GREEN.

(the command uniform color in TOS was always green; it just looked goldish because of the studio lighting and the material of which the uniforms were made. It was only the dress uniform that actually *looked* as green as it was.)
Old July 31 2008, 11:18 PM   #8
Surak
Fleet Captain

^ Kirk's wraparound uniforms looked green as well.
Old July 31 2008, 11:29 PM   #9
M'Sharak
Definitely Herbert. Maybe.

Babaganoosh wrote: View Post
I find myself wishing they'd stick to the command color as it was *supposed* to be - GREEN.

(the command uniform color in TOS was always green; it just looked goldish because of the studio lighting and the material of which the uniforms were made. It was only the dress uniform that actually *looked* as green as it was.)
There are all sorts of reasons things looked a different color on screen than what they actually were. In fact, many allowances were made for this, so that what appeared on-screen was the desired color; I remember that the Fender Guitar Company made instruments in what they called "television white" (actually a sort of dull yellow-cream color which looked white on camera) because real white fucked up the TV cameras of that era and created a "glare" effect which washed out the rest of the picture. There are many other examples of such allowances and adjustments in color in television and movies (even in Black & White.)

Hence, what we saw on screen is what color something "really" was, not how it appeared before having been put through the video process. The end result is what counted. Wishing otherwise is a somewhat futile exercise.
Old August 1 2008, 12:35 AM   #10
SonicRanger
Rear Admiral

Why do people believe it is such a departure to have two layers of shirts? TOS uniforms were (or were supposed to be) two shirts layered, not just one colorful shirt with a black collar like people seem to think they remember.

Example:
http://tos.trekcore.com/gallery/albu...kedtime034.jpg
http://tos.trekcore.com/gallery/albu...kedtime028.jpg
Old August 1 2008, 12:41 AM   #11
Vektor
Rear Admiral

^^ Except the black tee-shirts in those screen shots really were just undershirts. The black collar was part of the colored overshirt as is obvious in pretty much any closeup shot, not to mention the numerous occasions when Kirk got his shirt ripped or slashed to reveal no undershirt, yet he still had the black collar.
Old August 1 2008, 12:43 AM   #12
Procutus
Admiral

I'm encouraged by the fact that the unis will be this close to the original design. If we are to believe this is the same continuity, then sticking to the same look (or close to it) is crucial.

I am so psyched for this movie. I want it now!

Old August 1 2008, 02:38 AM   #13
Timewalker
Cat-lovin', Star Trekkin' Time Lady

It appears that the uniforms will look fairly close to the original ones. The only question that remains is whether Kirk's shirt is the only one that keeps ripping. (I've sometimes wondered what Kirk ever did to the computer, that it kept replicating such shoddily-made uniforms for him)

For some great Original Series fanfic, check out the Valjiir Continuum!
Old August 1 2008, 02:52 AM   #14
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

SonicRanger wrote: View Post

Why do people believe it is such a departure to have two layers of shirts? TOS uniforms were (or were supposed to be) two shirts layered, not just one colorful shirt with a black collar like people seem to think they remember.
Not at all. The uniform tops had black knit collars, and were intended to. They simply followed on from the same-color ribbed collars used in the first two pilots.

McCoy had a medical tunic under which a black turtleneck was worn. This was a one-off, different from all the non-medical uniforms.

The fact that characters sometimes wore black teeshirts in scenes where they weren't wearing their uniform tunics in no way implies that the teeshirts were "supposed to be" the collars of the tunics. This is pretty easily demonstrated where James "Oops-My Uniform Is Torn Again" Kirk is concerned - for example, when Spock slices through the front of his (one-layer) tunic in "Amok Time" or when he opens the collar of his uniform in "The Paradise Syndrome" or when he walks around shirtless early in "The Corbomite Manuever" with his (again, one-piece) tunic draped over his neck.
Old August 1 2008, 02:59 AM   #15
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile

AdmiralGarak: