Star Trek #35 Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 8

New ThinkGeek Trek Apparel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Star Trek Movie Prop Auction

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Sports and Fitness

Sports and Fitness It's football, not soccer.

Old August 9 2008, 06:31 PM   #46
Azlynn
Rear Admiral

Re: 2008 Olympics!

tomalak301 wrote: View Post
Why were they playing Mexican music for China?

By the way, I'm watching Fencing on USA and that sport is "interesting" to say the least. Ah the olympics. The only time you get Diving, fencing, Archery, Rowing, and Equestrian as "sports."
I won't go into equestrian as I've ranted in the past.

But I was watching fencing online and totally agree with it as a sport. There was one woman in particular - her reflexes and the state of her fast twitch muscle fibres must be incredible. Her muscle conditioning easily rivals many other sports, and would likely beat that of others. I'd never really seen it before, but was quite entertained. Especially with the ones that shriek.
Azlynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9 2008, 06:33 PM   #47
Emh
Doctor of TARDIS

Send a message via ICQ to Emh Send a message via AIM to Emh Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Emh Send a message via Yahoo to Emh

Bah, both NBC and MSNBC right now are playing women's volleyball (one indoors, one outdoors). How about some variety, please?

"I'm in Hell and it's full of Avons!" - Vila
Emh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9 2008, 06:44 PM   #48
Dorian Thompson
Admiral

Can you believe it about the murder that happened this morning in Beijing at the Drum Tower? All that security and a crazy guy still gets a knife in there. He stabbed to death the father-in-law of the US mens volleyball coach, then stabbed his wife and the tour guide before jumping off the tower.

Sheesh.

http://www.cnn.com/2008/WORLD/asiapc...der/index.html

Best disaster animal relief charity around. Don't forget our animal friends. Donate, train to be a volunteer, or be a foster parent for a displaced pet.
Dorian Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9 2008, 08:22 PM   #49
Sheliak
Commodore

Timewalker wrote: View Post
tomalak301 wrote: View Post
Why were they playing Mexican music for China?

By the way, I'm watching Fencing on USA and that sport is "interesting" to say the least. Ah the olympics. The only time you get Diving, fencing, Archery, Rowing, and Equestrian as "sports."
The music they used for the Parade of Nations was dismal. It's like they played 52-Pickup with a collection of ethnic music from around the world, edited it together, and put it on an endless loop. There was no imagination, the renditions were blah, and as much as I love bagpipe music, I got really tired of it after the fifth time it played. There was no attempt at all to match the music to the countries.
I was wondering the same thing, but then I saw the Mariachi band and the guys in kilts. Those were live bands on side-by-side stages.
Sheliak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9 2008, 08:49 PM   #50
Rat Boy
Vice Admiral

Dorian Thompson wrote: View Post
Can you believe it about the murder that happened this morning in Beijing at the Drum Tower? All that security and a crazy guy still gets a knife in there. He stabbed to death the father-in-law of the US mens volleyball coach, then stabbed his wife and the tour guide before jumping off the tower.

Sheesh.

http://www.cnn.com/2008/WORLD/asiapc...der/index.html
Between this and the war in Georgia (there's a rumor that the Georgians will pull out of the games), the Beijing organizers have got to be shitting bricks right now.
Rat Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9 2008, 09:15 PM   #51
Dorian Thompson
Admiral

Between this and the war in Georgia (there's a rumor that the Georgians will pull out of the games), the Beijing organizers have got to be shitting bricks right now.
I've no doubt. The Georgian situation is extremely tenuous. However, this jerk who stabbed the coach was by all accounts (probably) just a lone crazy psycho. No terrorist implications, but you can be sure that a couple of security personnel will be skewered on the shit end of the stick for it.

Best disaster animal relief charity around. Don't forget our animal friends. Donate, train to be a volunteer, or be a foster parent for a displaced pet.
Dorian Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9 2008, 09:41 PM   #52
Brolan
Commodore

Dorian Thompson wrote: View Post
I've no doubt. The Georgian situation is extremely tenuous. However, this jerk who stabbed the coach was by all accounts (probably) just a lone crazy psycho. No terrorist implications, but you can be sure that a couple of security personnel will be skewered on the shit end of the stick for it.

No doubt the person in charge will be slow roasted over a spit. But crazy people can be found in every major city on this planet. You can't defend against everything. Plus I'm sure the really good Chinese security is covering the Olympic venues, not the city tourist attractions.

Georgia isn't a major team so I don't see it as a huge deal if they pull out.
Old August 9 2008, 09:50 PM   #53
Thespeckledkiwi
Vice Admiral

Location: TheBolianChef is no more! It's theSpeckledKiwi now!

I mean seriously...we had a bomb go off in Atlanta!
Thespeckledkiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10 2008, 01:21 AM   #54
ElimParra
Fleet Admiral

Emh wrote: View Post
Bah, both NBC and MSNBC right now are playing women's volleyball (one indoors, one outdoors). How about some variety, please?
Hehehehe ... not sure what the live coverage will be showing here in 40 minutes, but I'm sure at noon, channel 7 will show the swimming finals and SBS will show the women's road race.
ElimParra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10 2008, 01:48 AM   #55
wew
Rear Admiral

Well, I was a bit surprised, but the US Women's sabre team made a complete sweep of the medals in individual sabre. I was a bit shocked, since fencing hasn't really been a major US sport.

However, it was also noted that an American visitor with ties to the US volleyball team was killed by a Chinese attacker, who also seemed to have wounded some others before jumping to his death.
wew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10 2008, 02:06 AM   #56
archeryguy1701
Rear Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to archeryguy1701

Does anyone think that the attack will cause the American athletes to compete with more of a chip on their shoulders this year?

Sometimes you just gotta roll the hard six- Bill Adama
archeryguy1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10 2008, 02:22 AM   #57
Brolan
Commodore

archeryguy1701 wrote: View Post
Does anyone think that the attack will cause the American athletes to compete with more of a chip on their shoulders this year?
What attack? The murder in Beijing today? It may be motivating for the women's volleyball team since the couple killed was so close to them.
Old August 10 2008, 02:49 AM   #58
wew
Rear Admiral

Except for the volleyball team, I don't really see that as motivating most of the Americans.
wew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10 2008, 02:57 AM   #59
SJSharksfan39
Admiral

View SJSharksfan39's Twitter Profile

wew wrote: View Post
Well, I was a bit surprised, but the US Women's sabre team made a complete sweep of the medals in individual sabre. I was a bit shocked, since fencing hasn't really been a major US sport.
Just like the Johnson Sisters are a reason to watch Curling, I think I found a reason to look forward to Fencing in London.
SJSharksfan39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10 2008, 03:10 AM   #60
ElimParra
Fleet Admiral

So is anyone else watching the swimming?

Phelps is a class swimmer. Smashed his own world record.

Also I'm looking forward to the Australians swimming soon.
ElimParra is offline   Reply With Quote