Star Trek Seekers Cover Art
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Fan Film Axanar Kickstarter Success
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Two New Starship Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Actor Wins Emmy
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Sports and Fitness

Sports and Fitness It's football, not soccer.

View Poll Results: Do U Think Everyone on China's Women's Gymnastics Team is at Least 16?
Yes 2 4.08%
No 47 95.92%
Voters: 49. You may not vote on this poll

Old August 21 2008, 01:04 AM   #1
Ro_Laren
Commodore

China's Olympic Women's Gymnastics Team- All Older Than 16?

I think that it is ridiculous that China says that every member of their Women's Olympic Gymnastics team is at least 16! According to an investigation by the New York Times (Read article here), the Chinese government falsified passports claiming that all of their gymnasts were over 16. While gymnastics can stunt the growth of its participants, China's claims are just ridiculous. Look at the pic above, they get younger as you go to the right. Look at this close-up pic of Deng Linlin from NBCOlympics.com:

According to the profile on the site, she is 4'6" and 68lbs. That is crazy!! It just makes me mad thinking that America would have won gold if China had gone by the rules. Why should they even have the age rule if it is impossible to verify? They should just throw it out so that there will be a level playing field!! What if there were some amazing young gymnasts in America, Romania, Russia or another country that would have helped their countries win the gold this year????

Of course there are other things I could rant about in the women's gymnastics. The judges definitely seemed incompetent at times. Cheng Fei lands on her knees in the Vault finals and yet beat America's Alicia Sacramone for the Bronze. Fei's final score (fall and all) was 15.562, while Alicia (who didn't fall) got a 15.537. And then for some reason it was decided that they can no longer hand out two Gold medals even if you tie... So Nastia Liukin and He Kexin of China tied in the Uneven bar event finals (of course if you were to watch the coverage on NBC the commentators said He's scores were inflated). Because of some tie breaking rules the Gold went to He Kexin. So because of incompetent judges and crazy rules Nastia lost to He (and please keep in mind that New York Times found evidence that He is only 14).

Has anyone else been frustrated? Women's gymnastics if my favorite Olympic Sport, but I've definitely gotten annoyed at this years games!!

Last edited by Ro_Laren; August 21 2008 at 06:58 PM. Reason: Typo
Ro_Laren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21 2008, 02:47 AM   #2
RoJoHen
Awesome

Re: China's Olympic Women's Gymnastics Team- All Be Older Than 16?

I was under the impression that they were all about 9.

I was unaware of the 16 rule, though.

I just feel bad for these kids. They can't be having any kind of worthwhile childhood.
Old August 21 2008, 02:53 AM   #3
Emh
Doctor of TARDIS

Send a message via ICQ to Emh Send a message via AIM to Emh Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Emh Send a message via Yahoo to Emh

I refuse to believe Deng Linlin is older than 10, 12 tops. But I do feel sorry for those girls because they start training when they're, what, 3, 4?

"I'm in Hell and it's full of Avons!" - Vila
Emh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 21 2008, 03:09 AM   #4
Daedalus12
Rear Admiral

Ro_Laren wrote: View Post

I think that it is ridiculous that China says that every member of their Women's Olympic Gymnastics team is at least 16! According to an investigation by the New York Times (Read article here), the Chinese government falsified passports claiming that all of their gymnasts were over 16. While gymnastics can stunt the growth of its participants, China's claims are just ridiculous. Look at the pic above, they get younger as you go to the right. Look at this close-up pic of Deng Linlin from NBCOlympics.com:

At least 2 of them are probably 12 to 14 years old (He Kexin and Deng Linlin. To be fair the Chinese women do look very young. All of them including Cheng Fei who is actually 20 years old look like tiny children.

According to the profile on the site, she is 4'6" and 68lbs. That is crazy!! It just makes me mad thinking that America would have won gold if China had gone by the rules. Why should they even have the age rule if it is impossible to verify? They should just throw it out so that there will be a level playing field!! What if there were some amazing young gymnasts in America, Romania, Russia or another country that would have helped their countries win the gold this year????
Yes I support Bela's suggestion for an open competition.

Of course there are other things I could rant about in the women's gymnastics. The judges definitely seemed incompetent at times. Cheng Fei lands on her knees in the Vault finals and yet beat America's Alicia Sacramone for the Bronze. Fei's final score (fall and all) was 15.562, while Alicia (who didn't fall) got a 15.537. And then for some reason it was decided that they can no longer hand out two Gold medals even if you tie... So Nastia Liukin and He Kexin of China tied in the Uneven bar event finals (of course if you were to watch the coverage on NBC the commentators said He's scores were inflated). Because of some tie breaking rules the Gold went to He Kexin. So because of incompetent judges and crazy rules Nastia lost to He (and please keep in mind that New York Times found evidence that He is only 14).
I can't say I know much about judging so I am not going whine about it but the tiebreaker system has been set for awhile now. It wasn't just something that is decided by the FIG live.

Has anyone else been frustrated? Women's gymnastics if my favorite Olympic Sport, but I've definitely gotten annoyed at this years games!!
Not really. The US women did very well and I am proud of them especially Nastia and Shawn. They could've won team gold as well if not for a few glaring mistakes.
"Bennett & Meyer are obviously the Ceti Eels introduced into the collective brain of Trekdom, leading to easy manipulation (TWOK), impaired cognitive functionality (TSFS), drooling (TVH), agonized death (TFF) and extended post-mortem twitching (TUC).
Daedalus12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21 2008, 03:15 AM   #5
Augustus
Fleet Captain

I don't believe that all of those girls are 16 or are turning 16 this year as the rules require. But IOC won't do anything about because they don't want to offend the human rights abusing, totalitarian Communists.
I do feel bad for the girls though, whether they are 10 or actually 16, they are being used by their country. (Not all the girls, but the Chinese ones.)

I do not think there is any conspiracy going on with the judging, but it is crazy how on more than one occasion the quirks of judging favored China over America...
Old August 21 2008, 03:17 AM   #6
Alidar Jarok
Everything in moderation but moderation

I think they're slightly older than they look, but still well below 16. I don't think anything will happen, though, so everyone will probably have to play around that fact.
Old August 21 2008, 03:25 AM   #7
nevermore
Admiral

Emh wrote: View Post
I refuse to believe Deng Linlin is older than 10, 12 tops.
There are several sources stating that Linlin was 13 last year. If that's true, I have no idea why she's still missing a baby tooth...
Old August 21 2008, 05:13 AM   #8
Dorian Thompson
Admiral

No, they're not all above 16. No way. Cheng Fei is; she competed in the last olympics, but Deng Lin Lin and He Kexin most definitely are not. There are serious questions about Yang Lin Lin and Jiang Yuyuan as well. It's the faces that give them away. Shawn Johnson is pretty much a shrimp at 4'10" and 90 pounds, but her face is much more mature. She also has several inches and 20 pounds on the two littlest Chinese gymnasts.

The Chengdou Sports Bureau and Xinhua, a major Chinese news agency, both seemed to think He Kexin was 13 last year. Funny how she suddenly turned 16 just in time for the olympics. Now that's what's galling about the tie breaker with Nastia. Liukin isn't stupid. She knows the girl who got the gold isn't eligible to compete.

I support the age limit. It's much healthier for the female athletes. After the age limit was raised, most of the female athletes started looking healthier and a bit more adolescent as opposed to looking like little girls. There are, unfortunately, exceptions. You want a shot of Deng Lin Lin at the team competition that really makes her look like a little girl? Check it out. She's a cutie pie, but I wouldn't bet the farm on her being a high school junior.

Best disaster animal relief charity around. Don't forget our animal friends. Donate, train to be a volunteer, or be a foster parent for a displaced pet.

Last edited by Dorian Thompson; August 21 2008 at 05:26 AM.
Dorian Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21 2008, 05:43 AM   #9
Jack Bauer
Fleet Admiral

No way. Some of them look like they've barely graduated elementary school.
Old August 21 2008, 04:03 PM   #10
Thespeckledkiwi
Vice Admiral

Location: TheBolianChef is no more! It's theSpeckledKiwi now!

The Olympics have been frustrating this year.
Thespeckledkiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21 2008, 07:12 PM   #11
Ro_Laren
Commodore

By the way, Foxnews.com now has an article about the Chinese team. It says that "The latest unofficial investigation was carried out by computer security expert for the Intrepidus Group, whose site, Stryde Hax, revealed a detailed forensic search for He’s age." Here is the security expert's blog about the investigation.

And here is a picture of "16" year-old He Kexin, who competed in the team finals and also beat out Nastia Liukin for the gold in the uneven bars:

Ro_Laren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21 2008, 08:21 PM   #12
Augustus
Fleet Captain

not only 16, but turning 17 in January!!!!
Old August 21 2008, 10:32 PM   #13
Dorian Thompson
Admiral

Riiiiiiiiiight.

On sports radio this morning (I get such a kick out of the local football fanatics talking about gymnastics of all things) they were talking about cute little Shawn Johnson competing in London in 2012. She'll only be 20, and the Chinese gymnasts will be back, too. They'll only be 12. So sayeth the Sports Animal, 98.1 FM

Best disaster animal relief charity around. Don't forget our animal friends. Donate, train to be a volunteer, or be a foster parent for a displaced pet.
Dorian Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21 2008, 10:34 PM   #14
RoJoHen
Awesome

^You have to wonder how the gymnasts from the other countries feel about the Chinese girls, who are clearly breaking the rules just by being there.
Old August 21 2008, 10:38 PM   #15
Nobody
Blame me, I voted Obama

I posted this in the main olympic thread, but thought those who are frequenting this one and not the other might find this interesting.

Nobody wrote: View Post
The IOC can ignore the NY Times, but don't mess with a blogger: IOC opens investigation into Chinese gymnast's age.

-nobody