Sci-Fried To Release New Album
By: T'Bonz on Jul 28

Star Trek/Planet of the Apes Crossover

Star Trek into Darkness Soundtrack

Horse 1, Shatner 0

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Site Forums > TrekToday News Items

TrekToday News Items Discussion of TrekToday news items

Old July 28 2008, 10:33 PM   #1
TrekToday
Rear Admiral

Quinto On Spock

Star Trek XI visits Spock at a difficult time for the half-Vulcan, half-human and explores the challenge and pain that comes with exploring humanity.

As reported by MTV, Star Trek XI will not be shying away from the hard stuff, according to Zachary Quinto. "That's what this movie is about, exploring the humanity of these people. And with humanity invariably comes challenge, and comes pain. We don't shy away from that at all. My character's story, in particular, is firmly rooted in an exploration of what that is. For somebody who's working so hard to stay so clearly separate, it's a collision course with himself in many ways. We visit [Spock] at a time when he's not as in control of his balance, and there's a lot of heartbreak in that."

Working with the man who played the original Spock was a positive, moving experience for Quinto. "I can't say enough about that guy. He's an incredible man with an incredible life, and I hope to have half as much a rich experience. I'm incredibly grateful that he was involved in [the new film], because he made it a richer experience. And that's hard to do, because it was already up there."

Playing a high-profile character means learning how to go out in a crowd without getting mobbed by fans. "I walked the floor [Comic-Con] yesterday," said Quinto. "I feel like there are a couple of rules you have to follow when you're on the floor: One is don't stop. Like, if one person recognizes you and asks for your picture you've got to duck away and take it in a really discreet spot, or you can't do it. Because once one person notices you, then everybody notices. [The second rule is] look like you know where you're going, and you're less likely to draw attention to yourself."

Will there be a sequel to Star Trek XI? "Those are conversations that have to be had by other people before they can be had with us," explained Quinto. "If the movie does as well as we hope it will, then the intention will be that there are more stories to tell. That's up to the fans, and to opening weekend."

To read more, head to the article located here.

Old July 29 2008, 03:17 AM   #2
T'Cal
Commodore

Re: Quinto On Spock

TrekToday wrote: View Post
...Will there be a sequel to <i>Star Trek XI</i>? "Those are conversations that have to be had by other people before they can be had with us," explained Quinto. "If the movie does as well as we hope it will, then the intention will be that there are more stories to tell. That's up to the fans, and to opening weekend."
That's why marketing is so important. Let's hope that that's done right as well.
Old July 29 2008, 01:40 PM   #3
Pioneer
Captain

Re: Quinto On Spock

T'Cal wrote: View Post
TrekToday wrote: View Post
...Will there be a sequel to <i>Star Trek XI</i>? "Those are conversations that have to be had by other people before they can be had with us," explained Quinto. "If the movie does as well as we hope it will, then the intention will be that there are more stories to tell. That's up to the fans, and to opening weekend."
That's why marketing is so important. Let's hope that that's done right as well.
But we, the already devoted fans, don't need to be marketed to. On the contrary, we can assume the role of ad-hoc marketing agents. We have to get the word out to our non-Trek-Fan friends. Evidently, it's up to us.

Me (or Us): I can't wait to see the next Star Trek movie. It's supposed to be awesome!

Friend(s): Well, you were always into that Sci-Fi stuff but it's not necessarily my(our) cup of tea.

Me (or Us): Well, actually, this time it's going to be different. Even non Sci-Fi and non Star Trek fans will like this one. Oh, and it's directed by J.J. Abrams! So, if you liked Lost (etc.) you should love this new Star Trek movie.

Friend(s): Ah, yeeaaayh, suure. Okaaayyy. Ah, we'll be sure to see it. Yeah. Well, see you later. Gotta go.
Looking to build Element #137 (Feynmanium)