Trek Business Card Cases
By: T'Bonz on Nov 17

February IDW Publishing Trek Comics
By: T'Bonz on Nov 17

Retro Review: The Siege of AR-558
By: Michelle on Nov 15

Trevco Full Bleed Uniform T-Shirts
By: T'Bonz on Nov 14

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old August 11 2008, 03:55 AM   #121
Timby
GIVE ME YOUR FACE

Re: Albums bands might've wished they hadn't made.

Babaganoosh wrote: View Post
JKTim wrote: View Post
I was referring to the simple fact of his removal of Leonard Cohen from the studio.
What about his treatment of the Ramones?
Probably true (based on various Ramones' accounts), highly illegal, moronic, likely fueled by alcohol (as per Marky Ramone) and, well, the past is in the past.
Timby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11 2008, 05:13 AM   #122
Dusty Ayres
Commodore

Babaganoosh wrote: View Post
JKTim wrote: View Post
Spector, as I recall, owned his own studio at the time. At that point, it's private property, and there's nothing wrong with enforcing those property rights.
So he could just hold people at gunpoint for whatever reason he felt like, as long as it was his property?
Spector is a stupid crazy asshole who needs a stint in a mental hospital, but sadly won't get one. And what he did as previously mentioned is the tip of the iceberg.

In 1990, at the Rock & Roll Hall Of Fame induction ceremonies, when he was supposed to induct The Platters, he instead rambled on about the Panama invasion, bitched about rap music, insulted M.C. Hammer for not using the word 'Revue' made a tribute to Elvis, and then thanked himself as the Platters. He did this again in 1991 as well. This clown needs to get some mental help, as I've said before, as well as a good supply of meds.
Dusty Ayres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12 2008, 04:43 AM   #123
I am not Spock
Commodore

M'Sharak wrote: View Post
Tan Ru wrote: View Post
Zeppelin's Presence and Coda.

EEEGAD!!!
HappyDayRiot wrote: View Post
Coda was a rushed out b-sides and outtakes collection - I don't think it's fair to say they should have never have released it. There's some good songs on there at any rate.
Listening to Coda, you can hear why those cuts were never finished or never ended up on finished albums. There were some good ideas and some of them could have become good tracks, but there were some dead ends and a lot of dross which would have had to be refined out. Sometimes it's just better to start over -- toss out something which isn't really working and write a new one.

I don't quite get the rap against Presence, though. No, it isn't their strongest album -- "Royal Orleans" is kind of a throwaway and "Tea for One" really sounds like them having another bash at "Since I've Been Loving You" -- but there's plenty of meat there and "Achilles' Last Stand" and "Nobody's Fault But Mine" can't be mistaken for anything but solid Zeppelin. Great show live, too.
Most of the tracks on Coda were quite rightly left off the albums they were recorded for.

I like Presence, too. It's underrated, if anything. Achilles Last Stand may even be my favourite Zeppelin song (but then, my fave Zep song changes daily, as there's so many classic ones). You hit the nail on the head with 'Tea For One'. I've always thought it sounded like a longer, more ponderous remake of 'Since I've Been Loving You'. And that's saying something, because Zep rarely do the same sounding song twice.
Old August 12 2008, 08:48 AM   #124
Nowhere Man
Commodore

mrcoaster wrote: View Post
Watch those triple posts, gang.

Album that shouldn't have been made?
U2 - all of the 90s.
Whoah, Whoah, Whoah ! achung baby is the best one ever!
Nowhere Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19 2008, 03:31 AM   #125
Moocey
Vice Admiral

JonathonWally wrote: View Post
Metallica - St Anger
Yes! That album sucked ass.
Moocey is offline   Reply With Quote