Shatner In Haven
By: T'Bonz on Nov 24

Retro Review: Covenant
By: Michelle on Nov 22

Two Official Starships Collection Previews
By: T'Bonz on Nov 21

Saldana: Women Issues In Hollywood
By: T'Bonz on Nov 21

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old August 7 2008, 07:19 AM   #91
I am not Spock
Commodore

Re: Albums bands might've wished they hadn't made.

Between the two latter Ozzy era Sabs albums, I think 'Never Say Die!' is the stronger album. Juniors Eyes, Johnny Blade, the title track, Shock Wave, et al, are more interesting songs than what is on Technical Ecstasy. I do like 'Back Street Kids' and 'Its Alright', though.
Old August 7 2008, 10:03 AM   #92
HappyDayRiot
Commodore

All right I listened to all 3 of them.

I still think TE is better... but not by much. Yes, Junior's Eyes, Johnny Blade, Air Dance and the last track are good, but some of the others (like Shock Wave) are just dull and uninspiring.

Heaven and Hell is brilliant. (which I knew anyway)

Mob Rules... what a difference a few years makes. When I first heard it I thought it sucked except for Country Girl and Turn Up the Night. Now it's entirely the opposite. I really wouldn't think of it and H&H as 'one' album though - H&H is far meatier.

So I hereby retract my earlier comments and brandish all my hate at St. Anger, because I'd forgotten that piece of shit exist. Ashamed is too light a word for what Metallica ought to feel about it.
Old August 7 2008, 02:17 PM   #93
Australis
Writer

M'Sharak wrote: View Post
voggmo wrote: View Post
He did warn before when the tickets were being sold. How was the show?
Word didn't get far enough, soon enough.

The show wasn't that bad, actually. It was about what you'd expect, under the circumstances: all the instrumental playing was kind of generic, and as much as I'd always liked Evans' singing on Shades, Book and Deep Purple, he really never did have the sort of voice to be singing Gillan's or Coverdale's tunes, and certainly not ten years later. It was just a letdown because it wasn't what we thought we were going to get.

The dude chainsawing the organ in half was fun, though.

Garth Rockett wrote: View Post
I should check this forum more often. Hard core Purple fan that I am, I'd have hated to have missed this discussion.
Yeah, now all we have to do is figure out where the hell Australis has got himself to. He should have been here yesterday.
[lurch] Yoouuu raaaangg?[/lurch]

Hmm, DP albums that shouldn't have been released... Well, Stormbringer wasn't much chop, Ritchie phoned in his stuff (he was going through a divorce as well as the band's ego problems), but I quite like 'Hold On' and 'Soldier of Fortune'. I really like 'Come Taste The Band', though it's a very different Purple. 'Slasves and Masters' has a couple of good tracks, but with Joe Turner onboard it was really Deep Rainbow. Don't get me wrong, at one stage I owned all the Rainbow albums but thaey sure weren't DP.

Interesting we should have this thread going, I was only reading a couple of weeks ago that DP insisted that an album be withdrawn from sale, a live show which was their last with Blackmore. GIllan apparently hates it. There's a clip on YT from that gig, 'Highway Star' as an opener, when Blackmore refused to come onstage, so they atarted without him. The anger is palpable. Enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vXWTR...eature=related
"… Times change, and so must I… we all change. When you think about it, we are all different people, all through our lives and that’s okay, that’s good! You've gotta keep moving, so long as you remember all the people that you used to be."
Australis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7 2008, 03:05 PM   #94
Nerdius Maximus
Fleet Captain

Thrall wrote: View Post
JonathonWally wrote: View Post
Metallica - St Anger
Good God yes. As if their rep wasn't damaged enough, they put out this piece of shit. It genuinely offended me as a human being. And the fact that the band still thinks it was a good idea is one of the many reasons I don't respect them anymore. And the fact that Rolling Stone actually gave it a good review is why I don't read Rolling Stone anymore.
The thing that bugged me the most about it was that a song would start out with promise, then quickly turn to shit. Some songs were almost tolerable, but James would ruin them with lyrics so terrible I felt embarassed listening to them. People blame the production, but I think it was the songs themselves. They just sucked. Hopefully Rick Rubin will steer them back in the right direction.
Nerdius Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7 2008, 05:29 PM   #95
M'Sharak
Definitely Herbert. Maybe.

Australis wrote: View Post

Hmm, DP albums that shouldn't have been released... Well, Stormbringer wasn't much chop, Ritchie phoned in his stuff (he was going through a divorce as well as the band's ego problems), but I quite like 'Hold On' and 'Soldier of Fortune'. I really like 'Come Taste The Band', though it's a very different Purple. 'Slasves and Masters' has a couple of good tracks, but with Joe Turner onboard it was really Deep Rainbow. Don't get me wrong, at one stage I owned all the Rainbow albums but thaey sure weren't DP.
There were a few good cuts on Stormbringer and I've also always liked 'Soldier of Fortune'. I was a little harsh on Come Taste the Band but, as you said of Slaves and Masters, it doesn't really feel to me like Deep Purple any more; in this case it fell somewhere closer to Paice-Ashton-Lord's Malice in Wonderland and Bolin's solo stuff.

Interesting we should have this thread going, I was only reading a couple of weeks ago that DP insisted that an album be withdrawn from sale, a live show which was their last with Blackmore. GIllan apparently hates it. There's a clip on YT from that gig, 'Highway Star' as an opener, when Blackmore refused to come onstage, so they atarted without him. The anger is palpable. Enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vXWTR...eature=related
I'd heard before about that blowup in general terms, but not about the album specifically. I think I've seen another clip from that tour ('Lazy'?) but not this one before.The bit where Blackmore grabs someone's drink and throws it -- whoof!
M'Sharak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7 2008, 09:55 PM   #96
voggmo
Commodore

Ritchie snubbed Eddie VH back in 77 at a club, did it again in 1980. Eddie really idolized him. He's took a potshot at Molly Hatchet once because they drank Wild Turkey. What a dumb reason not to like someone.

The prob with TE was it sounded flat. Parts of Dirty Women are great. That sounded funny the way I wrote it eh?
voggmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7 2008, 10:03 PM   #97
TheArsenal
Rear Admiral

Since Phil Spector, reportedly, held them hostage at gun point during some of the session - and he spent hours and hours making them play the same songs and even notes over and over until deep into the morning - I imagine the Ramones can't be to fond of their End of the Century experience. Particularly since it was poorly recieved by the fans.

"F*** you! That's my name. You know why mister? 'Cause you drove a Hyundai to get here tonight. I drove an eighty thousand dollar BMW. That's my name."
TheArsenal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8 2008, 02:00 AM   #98
Chaos Descending
Vice Admiral

HappyDayRiot wrote: View Post
All right I listened to all 3 of them.

I still think TE is better... but not by much. Yes, Junior's Eyes, Johnny Blade, Air Dance and the last track are good, but some of the others (like Shock Wave) are just dull and uninspiring.

Heaven and Hell is brilliant. (which I knew anyway)

Mob Rules... what a difference a few years makes. When I first heard it I thought it sucked except for Country Girl and Turn Up the Night. Now it's entirely the opposite. I really wouldn't think of it and H&H as 'one' album though - H&H is far meatier.

So I hereby retract my earlier comments and brandish all my hate at St. Anger, because I'd forgotten that piece of shit exist. Ashamed is too light a word for what Metallica ought to feel about it.
Old August 8 2008, 03:45 AM   #99
voggmo
Commodore

End of the Century has perhaps my favorite Ramones tune, Let's Go. Chinese Rocks I like too.
voggmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8 2008, 01:40 PM   #100
HappyDayRiot
Commodore

Nerdius Maximus wrote: View Post
Thrall wrote: View Post
JonathonWally wrote: View Post
Metallica - St Anger
Good God yes. As if their rep wasn't damaged enough, they put out this piece of shit. It genuinely offended me as a human being. And the fact that the band still thinks it was a good idea is one of the many reasons I don't respect them anymore. And the fact that Rolling Stone actually gave it a good review is why I don't read Rolling Stone anymore.
The thing that bugged me the most about it was that a song would start out with promise, then quickly turn to shit. Some songs were almost tolerable, but James would ruin them with lyrics so terrible I felt embarassed listening to them. People blame the production, but I think it was the songs themselves. They just sucked. Hopefully Rick Rubin will steer them back in the right direction.
Frantic-tick-tick-tick-tock?
Old August 8 2008, 03:17 PM   #101
Bishbot
Fleet Captain

Gaius Baltar wrote: View Post
Nightwish Dark Passion Play without tarja turunen as their lead vocalist i really feel that they have lost the voice that made them unique and one of my favourite bands.
Oh, definitely no!

I love Dark Passion Play and I love Annette's voice. I have all of Nightwish's albums and it might be my favourite (maybe I like Once better). She's a different style of singer from Tarja but I think that was for the best, because Tarja had such a unique sound that trying to ape it would have been worse, in my opinion.

I saw them live in march and Annette managed quite a few of the older songs very well - different from Tarja of course, but still great music - I'm disappointed that I never got to see Tarja in person, but from all accounts she was kind of an aloof performer whereas Annette is sweet and bouncy and really seems to be enjoying herself with the audience.
Bishbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8 2008, 03:19 PM   #102
SPOCKED
Admiral

Nerdius Maximus wrote: View Post
Chaos Descending wrote: View Post
I know Ozzy wishes he'd never made The Ultimate Sin.

I actually like the Ultimate Sin. I bought it on vinyl not too long ago. The cover alone is a kickass addition to my vinyl collection. (Which can be seen here if anyone's interested.)

http://youtube.com/watch?v=ZEoGOzZ_yfg
Ozzy must be sleightly demented -- TUS is one of my favorites!
SPOCKED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8 2008, 03:34 PM   #103
Tan Ru
Captain

Zeppelin's Presence and Coda.

EEEGAD!!!
Old August 8 2008, 03:42 PM   #104
HappyDayRiot
Commodore

Coda was a rushed out b-sides and outtakes collection - I don't think it's fair to say they should have never have released it. There's some good songs on there at any rate.
Old August 8 2008, 07:08 PM   #105
Dusty Ayres
Commodore

mrcoaster wrote: View Post
Watch those triple posts, gang.

Album that shouldn't have been made?
U2 - all of the 90s.
Oh, please.

The guys decided to do what the Beatles did-change direction musically. Think of most of the '90's albums as the equivalent to what the Beatles did from 1966-68, as U2 was simply going with the dance music explosion the way the Beatles went with The Summer Of Love epoch on Revolver, Sgt. Pepper Lonely Hearts Club Band, Magical Mystery Tour & Yellow Submarine. The only reason you and everybody else hate these albums is because you hate dance music! But these albums were the best work the guys've ever done, and stand toe to toe with their '80's work. Again, its not their fault Americans hate 'disco'.
Dusty Ayres is offline   Reply With Quote