RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,677
Members: 24,826
Currently online: 509
Newest member: ragster

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old July 27 2008, 02:36 AM   #91
Harvey
Admiral

Re: X-Files Bombs

DWF wrote: View Post
Trekker4747 wrote: View Post
Personally, I'd rather have the 2012 thing resolved in a TV-movie. A TV movie in 2012 would work well, being 10 years after the show ended.
I can't see a major storyline like being resolved in a cheap TV movie.
Well, it worked for Stargate, and that's never reached any sort of wide appeal like the X-Files. At least, like the X-Files did, back in the day. Sigh.

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27 2008, 02:44 AM   #92
DWF
Vice Admiral

Hirogen Alpha wrote: View Post
Trekker4747 wrote: View Post
Personally, I'd rather have the 2012 thing resolved in a TV-movie. A TV movie in 2012 would work well, being 10 years after the show ended.
Well, it worked for Stargate, and that's never reached any sort of wide appeal like the X-Files. At least, like the X-Files did, back in the day. Sigh.
I'm not sure it did work for Stargate and in any event Fox won't spend 7 Million dollars for a TV movie for The X-Files and the Stargate movies were direct to DVD oddly enough though Fox but Stargate is in a different position from a money stand point than The X-Files in that MGM wants more Stargate the same can't quite said for Fox and The X-Files. I did say that the wait for this movie would hurt it.

Still I think it's too early to call this movie a bomb yet it's only been out for a day.
--- Harlan Ellison, from his introduction
to the PINNACLE series of Doctor Who books
DWF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27 2008, 02:47 AM   #93
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

Bad Bishop wrote: View Post
If it sells enough DVDs maybe we'll get another film.
It wasn't promoted properly.
It's too smart for the unwashed masses out there.

Do any of these work anymore?
It does if any of those things are true and the movie is any good.

"Serenity" was. The "X-Files" movie isn't. And that's that.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27 2008, 02:54 AM   #94
Harvey
Admiral

I'm not sure it did work for Stargate and in any event Fox won't spend 7 Million dollars for a TV movie for The X-Files and the Stargate movies were direct to DVD oddly enough though Fox but Stargate is in a different position from a money stand point than The X-Files in that MGM wants more Stargate the same can't quite said for Fox and The X-Files. I did say that the wait for this movie would hurt it.

Still I think it's too early to call this movie a bomb yet it's only been out for a day.
I agree that the title of this thread is a bit premature. As for whether Ark of Truth worked, I merely meant on a financial level, not a creative one. The news from Brad Wright today is that MGM wants a third movie, and Continuum isn't even out yet! On another front, Universal also wants another Battlestar Galactica DVD movie. I don't know if Chris Carter would want to go that route. Joss Whedon certainly doesn't. JMS did with Babylon 5, but now he's changed his mind. Nobody in charge of Star Trek wants to go that way.

Old July 27 2008, 03:04 AM   #95
DWF
Vice Admiral

I agree that the title of this thread is a bit premature. As for whether Ark of Truth worked, I merely meant on a financial level, not a creative one. The news from Brad Wright today is that MGM wants a third movie, and Continuum isn't even out yet! On another front, Universal also wants another Battlestar Galactica DVD movie. I don't know if Chris Carter would want to go that route. Joss Whedon certainly doesn't. JMS did with Babylon 5, but now he's changed his mind. Nobody in charge of Star Trek wants to go that way.
I don't think The Ark Of Truth was a creative failure but in the end the budget of the movie and the availibility of the actors hurt the movie they actually did alot with the movie's budget and sets but I don't think that'd work for such a massive storyline that The X-Files 2012 storyline would require IMO.
--- Harlan Ellison, from his introduction
to the PINNACLE series of Doctor Who books
DWF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27 2008, 03:07 AM   #96
Harvey
Admiral

^^
It would depend how Chris Carter went about wrapping the story-line up, I'll grant you that. The 200 million dollar budgeted Independence Day invasion movie is out, but X-Files has never been that big anyway. He'd certainly have to contain the action to fit budgetary constraints, but it might still work.

Old July 27 2008, 03:14 AM   #97
DarthPipes
Rear Admiral

TheBolianChef wrote: View Post
Yes, it is. Serenity is a very niche television show. VERY niche. And since Whedon has moved on, well it's pretty much dead.
I'm still amazed they made the Serenity show. I'm glad they did, as I enjoyed the show. But to do a movie about a cult TV show (which wasn't even a big cult following like Star Trek) that had only 12 episodes was an idiotic decision by the brain trusts of Fox or whoever did the film.

That's the reason I'd be shocked if they ever did an Arrested Development movie. I'll love to see one but let's be honest...only about 20 people would see that movie. Which is about ten more than Serenity. If I were making financial decisions for these studios, I would not have approved either of these films.
DarthPipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27 2008, 03:15 AM   #98
Messianni
Commodore

View Messianni's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Messianni Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Messianni

David cgc wrote: View Post
Bad Bishop wrote: View Post
So this is what Serenity's failure felt like to fans! Let's pull out the responses they used!

If it sells enough DVDs maybe we'll get another film.
It wasn't promoted properly.
It's too smart for the unwashed masses out there.

Do any of these work anymore?
Well, as a dispassionate observer, I will say the promotion for this film did suck.
Likewise. I was never big into The X-Files but I was hoping that this film might have some moderate success. It's never fun to see a franchise that is loved by fellow sci-fi fans ring its now-apparent death knell. And if people like myself and David cgc who weren't fans of The X-Files but are of the genre thought it had bad promotion, think of the casual moviegoers the creators were trying to bring in. This could not have even been on their radar.
Old July 27 2008, 03:19 AM   #99
Harvey
Admiral

DarthPipes wrote: View Post
That's the reason I'd be shocked if they ever did an Arrested Development movie. I'll love to see one but let's be honest...only about 20 people would see that movie. Which is about ten more than Serenity. If I were making financial decisions for these studios, I would not have approved either of these films.
Um... It looks like it's happening to me. I don't know anything about the show, though, so I could be wrong.

Old July 27 2008, 03:25 AM   #100
Messianni
Commodore

View Messianni's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Messianni Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Messianni

DarthPipes wrote: View Post
Um... It looks like it's happening to me. I don't know anything about the show, though, so I could be wrong.
It is indeed sounding like it will be made. Arrested Development is one of the funniest shows ever made but you know what? It struggled in the ratings for all three years. If it had problems bringing in an audience on a free national television network, it sadly doesn't stand a chance in the theaters. It's a bomb waiting to happen.
Old July 27 2008, 03:28 AM   #101
Harvey
Admiral

^^
I don't know. It's been building up an audience on DVD, and at least Jason Bateman has been growing in stature with a number of films since the series ended--Juno and Hancock, for example. Still, it's not destined to be a blockbuster. A possibility for a sleeper hit.

Old July 27 2008, 03:32 AM   #102
Messianni
Commodore

True, it has been good to see him again in various roles. I guess I just won't hold out much hope until I see a trailer and even then... who knows.
Old July 27 2008, 03:51 AM   #103
Skywalker
Admiral

I think Fox miscalculated in setting IWTB's release date. While I don't think it ever would have been a blockbuster, it probably would have fared much better in September or October. Nothing about the previews and commercials I saw screamed "summer blockbuster."
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27 2008, 03:53 AM   #104
Harvey
Admiral

Skywalker wrote: View Post
I think Fox miscalculated in setting IWTB's release date. While I don't think it ever would have been a blockbuster, it probably would have fared much better in September or October. Nothing about the previews and commercials I saw screamed "summer blockbuster."
Nothing in the film said that to me, either. It's a very quiet, somber film. That's not a negative, by any means (I loved it, if I haven't said that enough), but it does make releasing it in July seem odd.

Then again, nobody could have conceived of the phenomenon that The Dark Knight has become. It ate up the second week grosses of Hellboy II and now it's eating into The X-Files' audience, too.

It seems ironic to me, now, that Serenity was an action movie that was dumped in September, and the X-Files was a quieter movie that was dumped in the summer. Oh...

Old July 27 2008, 04:08 AM   #105
Harvey
Admiral

I have to wonder, they released that "X-Files: Revelations" DVD set to drum up interest and provide background for the film, but in retrospect, I have to wonder about some of the episodes there.

Some spoilers for the new movie...

"Pilot" makes sense, for obvious reasons.
"Clyde Bruckman's Final Repose" makes sense, since it's a great episode, and mentioned by name in the new movie as an example of Mulder's experience with psychics.
"Post-Modern Prometheus" kind of makes sense. It is another Frankenstein outing, although it's not necessary as backstory.

But, what of the other five episodes?

"Beyond the Sea." As an episode about a psychic, I guess it kind of sets up Mulder in the new movie, but doesn't one episode do that already?
"Memento Mori." This is a great episode, but it seems a little incomprehensible outside the rest of the mytharc and the other two "cancer trilogy" episodes.
"The Host." Look, it's a classic. But how does it set up the new movie?
"Bad Blood." See above.
"Milagro." It's an okay episode. Does nothing for the movie.

Wouldn't "William" or "Closure" have made more sense, given the movie's content. And what about "The Truth?" Mulder and Scully being kicked out of the FBI seems rather important to the new movie, and it summarizes key events of the series pretty well.

I don't have this DVD--I own the series complete already--but I'm curious as to what reasoning Chris Carter provides for these episodes' selection.

But maybe I'm just second guessing everything at this point.