Star Trek Seekers Cover Art
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Fan Film Axanar Kickstarter Success
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Two New Starship Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Actor Wins Emmy
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old July 26 2008, 09:50 PM   #61
sidious618
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to sidious618
Re: X-Files Bombs

StarTrek1701 wrote: View Post
Hirogen Alpha wrote: View Post
StarTrek1701 wrote: View Post
Don't worry. It'll make its money on DVD like Serenity did.
I'm sensing a new special edition release of the film every couple of years. I can't wait for the new audio commentary from Xzibit!

And for the fans to scream that this is the best movie evar! and if you didn't like it then you are dumber than them.
I'm a big fan and even I'm not saying it was the best film ever. I'm not THAT crazy of a fan.

Although, I'm in the minority as I think it was a pretty good film.
Old July 26 2008, 09:52 PM   #62
DarthPipes
Rear Admiral

pookha wrote: View Post
i wonder how much that line in the ad were sculley says that she and mulder dont work together any more hurt it.
to some people the pay off for the last two seasons is you saw them leave together./
a lot more people are going to be exposed to that ad/trailer then they will be the net were more is suspected about their relationship.

to me the last two years of x files just turned off a lot of the fans.
most of my friends had stopped watching it by then.

and then add on bad reviews.
I was wondering this myself. They seem to be apart in this film just for the sake of manufacturing drama.

I think what might have hurt this film is it's really been a long time since they've been on television. About six years? Carter wanted to end the show after five years and a movie. But network greed kept it going and the show fizzled in its last few years. That's why I'm glad Lost will be ending when it does.
DarthPipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26 2008, 09:55 PM   #63
Jack Bauer
Fleet Admiral

This movie was going to come out a few years ago but some legal issues between Fox and Chris Carter held it up. Six years since the show went off it quite a long time. I suspect that a lot of the casual fans of the show have lost interest in the last 6 years. It's mainly the hard core going out to see it.
Old July 26 2008, 10:04 PM   #64
sidious618
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to sidious618

The trailer and commercial spots did it in, too. Carter was so dead set on making sure no one knew about the plot that he revealed nothing at all. That made the previews pretty damn boring and not accessible to new audiences.
Old July 26 2008, 10:08 PM   #65
DontFeedPhil
Fleet Captain

I feel bad for Sculder and Mully. I loved the show...
DontFeedPhil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26 2008, 10:16 PM   #66
Harvey
Admiral

DontFeedPhil wrote: View Post
I feel bad for Sculder and Mully. I loved the show...
Unintentional slip of the tongue or oblique reference to the completely juvenile but still hilarious The X-Fools?

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26 2008, 10:21 PM   #67
Jack Bauer
Fleet Admiral

It's bumming me out that the movie isn't doing well and we might not get another. To get some new X-Files and to have it go away again maybe forever makes me sad. Depressed actually...I just may wait for the DVD instead of going to the theater. Or not. I'm kind of bummed because I've got no one to goesit with and I hate seeing movies by myself. I'm seeing the Mummy next week so I can't see X-Files next week and I may not be able to see it during the week either. By the time I get around to it the movie may be out of theaters by then.
Old July 26 2008, 10:32 PM   #68
Harvey
Admiral

For what it's worth, I thought they did pretty well with the budget they had to make the movie cinematic. Of course, the X-Files TV show was always very cinematic (they even filmed in widescreen for more than half their run), too, so that might not be enough to convince you to go.

Old July 26 2008, 10:39 PM   #69
Jack Bauer
Fleet Admiral

I'll probably go. I'll just have to suck it up and go alone. It would be easier with my brother here but unfortuately he's at Comic Con.
Old July 26 2008, 10:42 PM   #70
Harvey
Admiral

I know how you feel. I had to suck it up and go alone this morning. I might go again with my brother when he gets in from a long trip tomorrow, but I don't know. Everyone else who might be interested has bailed on me.

Old July 26 2008, 10:51 PM   #71
TedShatner10
Commodore

billcosby wrote: View Post
mswood wrote: View Post
Unless its a big hit overseas or huge hit on the home market, the franchise is dead
Really? After what happened with Enterprise, it's my belief that studios are only interested in what Joe Six Pack in America does with his movie ticket purchases (or through Neilson ratings). Overseas and even DVDs don't seem to count worth a damn towards continuing production.
Overseas and DVD sales are not even factor? Why screen overseas or sell DVDs to begin with, if the studios don't care? I'm convinced American studios rely on worldwide box office and DVD sales to cover any domestic losses.
TedShatner10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26 2008, 10:56 PM   #72
HopefulRomantic
Phloxist Moderator

DarthPipes wrote: View Post
pookha wrote: View Post
i wonder how much that line in the ad were sculley says that she and mulder dont work together any more hurt it.
to some people the pay off for the last two seasons is you saw them leave together./
a lot more people are going to be exposed to that ad/trailer then they will be the net were more is suspected about their relationship.

to me the last two years of x files just turned off a lot of the fans.
most of my friends had stopped watching it by then.

and then add on bad reviews.
I was wondering this myself. They seem to be apart in this film just for the sake of manufacturing drama.
This was one of my disappointments as well. At the end of the series, Mulder and Scully were together, "me and thee against the world." I expected to see that, at least. In this film there were some "together" moments, but too few to fulfill my expectations, and more "apart/at odds" moments that seemed contrived and just ended up frustrating me.

That being said, I'm glad I saw it. I still enjoy the characters. I thought Mulder was written very well, and Scully in Rescue Mode was classic.

I hope the smaller budget helps the movie make enough to green-light that mythology sequel too.
Old July 26 2008, 11:02 PM   #73
wamdue
Admiral

Skywalker wrote: View Post
Any movie released the week after The Dark Knight was going to suffer. Sorry, X-Files fans.
very true, I didnt even know it was out, there has been very little press.
wamdue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26 2008, 11:05 PM   #74
nx1701g
Admiral

HopefulRomantic wrote: View Post
I hope the smaller budget helps the movie make enough to green-light that mythology sequel too.
I'm worried that even if it makes a profit that they won't approve another film because, from a theoretical standpoint, a movie focusing on the invasion will require a larger budget that Fix may not be willing to approve.
Old July 26 2008, 11:08 PM   #75
Aragorn
Admiral

Maybe X-Files could've done better against Batman if they sang ABBA songs...
Aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote