Retro Review: Profit and Lace
By: Michelle on Aug 16

Eve Engaged
By: T'Bonz on Aug 15

Shatner’s Get A Life DVD Debuts
By: T'Bonz on Aug 14

TV Alert: Takei Oprah Appearance
By: T'Bonz on Aug 14

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old July 26 2008, 05:31 PM   #31
Cmndr J Crichton
Commodore

Re: X-Files Bombs

Bad Bishop wrote: View Post
So this is what Serenity's failure felt like to fans! Let's pull out the responses they used!

If it sells enough DVDs maybe we'll get another film.
It wasn't promoted properly.
It's too smart for the unwashed masses out there.

Do any of these work anymore?

Except that Serenity was an infinantly more entertaining film than X-Files: I Want to Believe. You could watch Serenity without any knowledge of the show and still get into it. They use a new villain, they give a back story, and it's a solid movie. XF:IWTB feels like an ameture writer made that movie. Of all the things to get Scully and Mulder back together, and they choose this? So many unresolved cases from the series could've come back to haunt both of them enough to want to come to gether, and finish solving the mystery. Amanda Peet and Xhibit's characters could've been new X-Files agents, and needed Mulder's help, who in turn needed Scully's help. So many possibilities to restart the franchise could've happen here, but it didn't. I would love to have seen Xhibit become the new skeptical like Scully, and Peet become the new Mulder. Mulder and Peet's character could be discussing some new paranormal phenomenon, and Xhibit says to Scully, 'How'd you put up with this?', and Scully says something like, 'You just have to believe.' Using the film's title. I wish I could've wrote this! I bet a lot of other fans do too.
Old July 26 2008, 05:34 PM   #32
Samurai8472
Vice Admiral

I'm getting "Serenity" flashbacks but with out brown coats in theaters shouting ""we've done the impossible, and that makes us mighty!"
Samurai8472 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26 2008, 05:35 PM   #33
Cmndr J Crichton
Commodore

They actually did that?!
Old July 26 2008, 05:46 PM   #34
nx1701g
Admiral

Have hope though for a sequel as here's an example about Box Office successes and failures:

AVP-R is (domestically) a failure of a film with a domestic gross of $41,742,552, and $128,031,313 worldwide. Despite this AVP3 is claimed to be being worked on as they recently shelved plans for Alien 5 (again) to work on AVP3.
Old July 26 2008, 05:49 PM   #35
SJSharksfan39
Admiral

View SJSharksfan39's Twitter Profile

Was there any buzz for this movie at all? I think I only saw maybe one or two trailers and it was in this very same week. It's almost as if the people responsible for the movie just threw up their hands and conceded. I'm not sure if the movie is good or not but hopefully it might be able to do something in the theaters and then pull in more for DVD/Blu-Ray sales.
SJSharksfan39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26 2008, 05:51 PM   #36
Aragorn
Admiral

This movie shouldn't have a problem profiting with total worldwide box office. But this is a day where DVD profits can exceed box office profits and be enough to greenlight further movies. DVD sales turned Austin Powers and Friday into franchises. I think it was Ice Age that made more in its first week on DVD than its entire theatrical run.
Aragorn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 26 2008, 05:54 PM   #37
nevermore
Admiral

grabmygoblin wrote: View Post
if this is the last we see of Mulder and Scully, then I'm fine with it. it was a nice send off, much better than what the series finale gave us.
Yah.
Old July 26 2008, 05:56 PM   #38
Trippy
NaNoWriMo Victim

View Trippy's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Trippy Send a message via Yahoo to Trippy

I'm definately wanting the DVD when it comes out...hoping for deleted scenes

LJ

LJ2
Trippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26 2008, 05:57 PM   #39
Caretaker
Commodore

View Caretaker's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Caretaker Send a message via AIM to Caretaker

Well, I'm a die hard fan of the franchise, but as now work two jobs, both with weird hours, going to midnight and Friday showings just are not possible nowdays. I will go this weekend, but probably at a time when I'm not as likely to run into what I am assuming are still massive TDK mobs.

This film was made on the cheap from what I understand (the $30 million figure from earlier in the thread seems to support that). I agree - if there is positive word of mouth, this thing should make some money on DVD, Blu Ray, Pay Per View, et al.

Caretaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26 2008, 05:57 PM   #40
Aragorn
Admiral

The extended cut DVD is supposed to have the Mulder-Scully-Whitney threesome. Of course, since this is X-Files, it takes place after Whitney dies.
Aragorn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 26 2008, 06:02 PM   #41
Endymion
Captain

View Endymion's Twitter Profile

billcosby wrote: View Post
...it's my belief that studios are only interested in what Joe Six Pack in America does with his movie ticket purchases (or through Neilson ratings). Overseas and even DVDs don't seem to count worth a damn towards continuing production. In other words, a 30 mil movie and 10 mil return on the opening weekend is enough to bury it forever.
Yeah you're pretty misinformed.
Old July 26 2008, 06:15 PM   #42
Samurai8472
Vice Admiral

Aragorn wrote: View Post
The extended cut DVD is supposed to have the Mulder-Scully-Whitney threesome. Of course, since this is X-Files, it takes place after Whitney dies.
Gillian needed to go into a decon chamber with Peet while John Billingsley
watched

John- you missed a spot

that would have made sales skyrocket to "dark knight " level

Samurai8472 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26 2008, 06:31 PM   #43
Michael Chris
Admiral

I didn't figure it'd be a smashing success, but it's below how well I thought it'd do. Of course, I'm waiting till next week to see it.
Old July 26 2008, 07:31 PM   #44
Admiral2
Vice Admiral

Trent Roman wrote: View Post
I'm not surprised either. I watched all seasons of the X-Files, Lone Gunmen, and saw the original film. I'm exactly the target audience they ought to have been trying to reach. And when I saw the trailer, my reaction was (after the initial surprise at Carter's franchise necromancy): "Damn, this looks boring." If you're going to have an X-Files feature film, make it about something big. Doesn't have to be conspiracy-related, but it needs to feel like an event, and not just an average episode filmed using a wider lens. If they couldn't get my butt to the theaters, who were they hoping to get?

Fictitiously yours, Trent Roman
Wow. Ditto!

-Tom Clancy
Admiral2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26 2008, 07:35 PM   #45
Timby
GIVE ME YOUR FACE

Samurai8472 wrote: View Post
I'm getting "Serenity" flashbacks but with out brown coats in theaters shouting ""we've done the impossible, and that makes us mighty!"
At a Madison, WI, showing on opening night, a group of costumed fans did exactly that.

I wept.
Timby is offline   Reply With Quote