Saldana In The Book of Life
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

Cracked’s New Sci-Fi Satire
By: T'Bonz on Oct 16

Beltran Introduces Shakespeare To Theater Group

Burton To Be Honored at Facets Boo! Bash

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old August 6 2008, 12:56 AM   #211
Harvey
Admiral

Re: X-Files Bombs

The Numbers (a website I just discovered today--shame on me, I know) lists the second X-Files movie as costing $35,000,000 (more than Box Office Mojo reports), but also includes the international numbers. At $39,483,429 domestic+international the movie has grossed more than Serenity did in its entire release and has gone past the published budget (although not into the realm of true profitability, either).

Still, better than I thought, and, as I expected, slightly bigger overseas than in the States.

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6 2008, 03:50 AM   #212
the_wildcard
Rear Admiral

I think they should have done more marketing and publicity about it. I didn't even see any movie trailer for it, until a TV ad like 3 weeks before the release.
the_wildcard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6 2008, 03:56 AM   #213
Starbreaker
Fleet Admiral

View Starbreaker's Twitter Profile

Trying to keep the plot a secret backfired on them. No one was interested.
Old August 6 2008, 05:16 AM   #214
Runningman
Cadet

Captain Craig wrote: View Post
clonewarrior wrote: View Post
Trekker4747 wrote: View Post
I know I, for one, would rather see TDK for a 100th time than see IWtB for a THIRD time.

In all honesty I'll live happy as an X-Files fan never seeing this movie again. Only thing that'll get to *maybe* buy it is if Rifftrax picks it up.
Well i for one was bored with TDK big time , while IWTB kept my attention, more intense int the gut wise

TDK is the POTC of 2008, great money maker
Um, no but thanks for sharing.
TDK is style and substance.
POTC was only style, if you call it that.
i didn't see much subtance in TDK, while BatBegins-yes , TDK nope, even Iron Man with its limited scope did a better job

TDK was all over the map, and Joker as all style, The Harvey Dent/Two Face angle was done well however

What substance do you see in TDK?
Runningman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6 2008, 05:18 AM   #215
Runningman
Cadet

Starbreaker wrote: View Post
Trying to keep the plot a secret backfired on them. No one was interested.
This I totally agree with.

While i was happy to go in and be surprised. It appears BUZZ was lost - since nothing to discuss.

I'm surprised that people would rather know the plot before hand. I mean we know its x-files so that's a good amount of info already
Runningman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6 2008, 03:42 PM   #216
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral

Runningman wrote: View Post
What substance do you see in TDK?
Are all people inherently evil or prone to doing wrong? The ferry boat people vs Two Face

How much power is too much power? The phone tapping survellience.

Can one man make a difference? Yes, both ways. Batman marshalling the forces of good and reducing crime. Joker, regrouping the mobs.
Captain Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9 2008, 08:36 AM   #217
mswood
Rear Admiral

Lindley wrote: View Post
I guess as it relates to the thread title the movie is not going to BOMB or FLOP, if only because its budget was only $30 million.

It currently has $17m and will be just over $18m by Thursday and $20m after the upcoming weekend. While not much to write home about the movie will fall just short of breaking even. Factor any the WW take and its still made money.
Seems reasonable to me, but that argument never seemed to work with Serenity.....
Serenity, didn't nearly break even at the end of its run. After the upcoming 3rd weekend X-Files:2 will be over the $20m mark and keep closing on that $30m number, albeit slowly. Whereas Serenity($40m budget, $25m take) didn't manage to crawl within distance of its production budget.
The argument works here. It won't see a sequel but its not a bomb or flop. Serenity did bomb, unfortunately.
Actually it highly doubtful that it will reach 20 million by the end of its third week end. It will most likely end between 19.3 to 19.6 million (thats assuming it doesn't lose theaters, which either happens this week or next and its going to lose a lot)

Based on its performance this last week and the week before. Its not going to even make 25 million US.

Serenity by the end of its 3rd weekend had already made 22.3 million. X-Files is going to be down 2.5 million and losing ground for the rest of its release. I think it will end between 22.5 and 24 million and no higher.

Of course its doing better overseas (where the first film did as well, something Serenity didn't do at all). And should cover its production, marketing and printing cost.

But considering sequels are design to make 2/3 of the amount of the last sequel. That Fox originally set an opening mark of 15-20 million (which they back peddled to 15-17 million (once Dark Knight truly took off, then 13-15 million (when they got their first Friday numbers), ad the film still performed far below expectations. Then to fall (and literally all but two of its days) with higher percentage then all but one film.

As for the terms flop and bombs in the business they don't mean just losing money (though they can). X-Files is considered by the industry (and they are the experts) a flop and a bomb, because it failed to meet any expectations. It will deliver a death blow to what was once a lucrative franchise (assuming they don't strike gold on DVD and that the overseas reports don't start multiplying).

Many films that make a small profit are considered flops and bombs, and some films that make a small profit are considered sleeper hits. All based on expectations for that film.
Old August 9 2008, 08:44 AM   #218
Roger Wilco
Admiral

I watched it yesterday because I liked the series and had nothing better to do, so my opinion on why the film was a failure at the box office is: It was a piece of shit. Boring, unentertaining and stupid; trapped in its own formalisms and the story simply didn't make any sense. It deserved to "bomb".
Old August 9 2008, 08:34 PM   #219
sidious618
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to sidious618

Roger Wilco wrote: View Post
I watched it yesterday because I liked the series and had nothing better to do, so my opinion on why the film was a failure at the box office is: It was a piece of shit. Boring, unentertaining and stupid; trapped in its own formalisms and the story simply didn't make any sense. It deserved to "bomb".
Ouch!
Old August 9 2008, 11:08 PM   #220
bigdaddy
Vice Admiral

Hirogen Alpha wrote: View Post
Serenity almost made it's money back, including world wide. It was $130,000 dollars short of its $39,000,000 budget. That doesn't include distribution costs or advertising (which was minimal). That also doesn't include DVD or television sales.

The X-Files cost less than Serenity ($30 million vs. $39 million), but, as you say, we haven't seen the international numbers yet.
I don't know how people can say Serenity ads were "minimum", I saw them everywhere and they spent 10 million on ads. So it was 10.13 million dollars away from making it's money back.
Old August 10 2008, 04:05 AM   #221
mswood
Rear Admiral

bigdaddy wrote: View Post
Hirogen Alpha wrote: View Post
Serenity almost made it's money back, including world wide. It was $130,000 dollars short of its $39,000,000 budget. That doesn't include distribution costs or advertising (which was minimal). That also doesn't include DVD or television sales.

The X-Files cost less than Serenity ($30 million vs. $39 million), but, as you say, we haven't seen the international numbers yet.
I don't know how people can say Serenity ads were "minimum", I saw them everywhere and they spent 10 million on ads. So it was 10.13 million dollars away from making it's money back.

Just because you generate (lets use the Serenity example) 38.8 million in theatre sales world wide on a production budget of 39 million dollars.

It will earn (in the US it really can vary overseas) only around 55% (now that can vary for films that have the ability to get a higher upfront rate, I can't see Serenity or X-Files being able to do so, though X-Files would have a better shot by far then Serenity) of that for the studio (and thats assuming the studio doesn't share distribution with another for either US or overseas ticket sales).

And the 10 million marketing figure most likely refers to only US marketing (unknown if that includes the print cost, some times yes sometimes no). It is exceptional rare that world wide marketing numbers are released (they are in the same place as world wide dvd sales, rentals and tv rights that studios seem to never have open accounting practices with).

So lets just pretend that the 10 million is both marketing and print cost (quite possible) and that it is both US and Overseas cost (highly doubtful). That means it full cost was 49 (and again this is highly suspect). At 49 million Serenity to break even (at the theaters) would need to generate roughly nearly 90 million dollars in ticket sales.

Basically its theater run covered at very best half of all its cost. It would then fall to its dvd sales/rentals, tv rights, ect to generate the remaining.

Now again the X-files in in better shape (though again in the industries eyes and currently the studios its a bomb) with a 30 million budget and most likely an equally low US marketing campaign. It will need to generate less total revenue. With it already exceeding the overseas total of Serenity and with several major markets left (which will take months to hit). X-files (working under the same assumptions of world wide marketing and print costs) will come much closer to breaking even solely off of its theatrical run.
Old August 11 2008, 03:57 AM   #222
Joby
Fleet Captain

They did not engergize the fanbase enough, and truthfully The X-Files base is not and never has been as loyal, passionate and built in to go as the Trek base has always been.

Not to mention the changing landscape of television drama over the past 10 years. X-Files ruled this genre back in the 90s, but today Mulder and Scully seem a bit dated next to Heroes, Lost and 24. Despite the fact that they were in many ways the ones the paved the way for those subsequent shows.
Joby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11 2008, 05:05 AM   #223
sidious618
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to sidious618

Joby wrote: View Post
They did not engergize the fanbase enough, and truthfully The X-Files base is not and never has been as loyal, passionate and built in to go as the Trek base has always been.

Not to mention the changing landscape of television drama over the past 10 years. X-Files ruled this genre back in the 90s, but today Mulder and Scully seem a bit dated next to Heroes, Lost and 24. Despite the fact that they were in many ways the ones the paved the way for those subsequent shows.
I can't say that Heroes, LOST or 24 has created such alive characters in the public eye (I'm not saying they don't, LOST is vey good at that, but they are not as well known).
Old August 12 2008, 01:20 PM   #224
payndz201
Commodore

Just looking at the figures on the-numbers.com, Aliens Vs Predator: Requiem made less at the US box office than The X Files ($14.9m to $17m), but has so far made another $26 million+ on DVD, bringing its combined gross to $40 million. If X Files performs similarly on DVD, and there's no reason to think it shouldn't, it'll probably end up making Fox a modest profit. That's in the US alone: add 50% to 100% more for the eventual overseas take.

Hardly blockbuster performance, but Fox may yet ask for another movie eventually - if the budget is kept low and, I'd imagine, Carter is asked to make a more overtly commercial movie. Maybe we'll see the werewolf they used for the fake spoilers after all!
payndz201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12 2008, 05:54 PM   #225
Trippy
NaNoWriMo Victim

View Trippy's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Trippy Send a message via Yahoo to Trippy

Nah we need the 2012 storyline
Trippy is offline   Reply With Quote