William Shatner Presents Chaos On The Bridge US Premiere
By: T'Bonz on Apr 29

Trek Phaser Monitor Mate Bobble Prop
By: T'Bonz on Apr 28

Eve Faces Backlash For Jenner Comments

Frakes: Forget About Trek On TV

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy All your nerd stuff goes here.

Old July 29 2008, 05:46 AM   #151
theenglish
Rear Admiral

Re: X-Files Bombs

zenophite wrote: View Post
I'm sure that a mythology arc dealing with the 2012 invasion (as Carter said he would presumably do for the next,now unlikely, picture) would cost quite a bit more money.
I don't know. 2012 is still four years away. Maybe we'll get a miniseries or television movie out of it. After reading this thread, I have to admit that I am intrigued about this movie now. However, I'm one of those who lost interest in the series after Mulder left and didn't even see the final episodes. I know it "says" you don't need to see these, but I imagine it gives away a lot of what happens in them.
theenglish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 29 2008, 06:43 AM   #152
zenophite
Rear Admiral

theenglish wrote: View Post
I don't know. 2012 is still four years away. Maybe we'll get a miniseries or television movie out of it. After reading this thread, I have to admit that I am intrigued about this movie now. However, I'm one of those who lost interest in the series after Mulder left and didn't even see the final episodes. I know it "says" you don't need to see these, but I imagine it gives away a lot of what happens in them.
well... anything is possible I guess after a few more years pass they might be up for another go.
Old July 29 2008, 06:54 AM   #153
TGTheodore
Writer

I thought the approach to the story and characters was exactly right.

The last feature was so BIG in scope with such BIG visuals and BIG meanings and BIG repercussions that trying to do another BIG movie would have been ridiculous.

This was character study. How "ever after" isn't always happy. How the offscreen earlier death of a character can affect people you think are mentally invincible, and how they carry on for better or worse.

How a spark can be re-ignited, even if not completely back to the way a character once was. The core is the same, the day-to-day life is not. Passions cool, passions return. But the past is the past.

And a damn creepy side-story as well.

I'm glad there were no conspiracies, or aliens, or odd goo, or the like.

This was the right choice for the type of story to make. The "easing back" of two familiar characters, but not happily and mightily.

And if I'm correct, not a single shot was fired.

I liked it. I liked the changes in Mulder and Scully since the series and in this movie.

Great? No. But not every movie has to be either The Dark Knight or Zohan. There's a great big range between those two extremes.

I found it entertaining and comfortable catching up with Mulder and Scully without any overblown plot devices or pat endings.

A good, solid 108 minutes. One point I DO agree with, this definitely should have been an early November release -- the mature movie season.

Hope there's another XF feature.

--Ted
Old July 29 2008, 07:11 AM   #154
mswood
Rear Admiral

Variety is reporting its first weekend performance overseas (in 22 different territories including Russia, Ukraine, Spain, Australia, Germany, and Austria) was 9.2 million. Not a great start (for those markets) but not a terrible one either. So thats a little bit of good news.
Old July 29 2008, 08:00 AM   #155
Thespeckledkiwi
Vice Admiral

Location: TheBolianChef is no more! It's theSpeckledKiwi now!

TG Theodore wrote: View Post
I thought the approach to the story and characters was exactly right.

The last feature was so BIG in scope with such BIG visuals and BIG meanings and BIG repercussions that trying to do another BIG movie would have been ridiculous.

This was character study. How "ever after" isn't always happy. How the offscreen earlier death of a character can affect people you think are mentally invincible, and how they carry on for better or worse.

How a spark can be re-ignited, even if not completely back to the way a character once was. The core is the same, the day-to-day life is not. Passions cool, passions return. But the past is the past.

And a damn creepy side-story as well.

I'm glad there were no conspiracies, or aliens, or odd goo, or the like.

This was the right choice for the type of story to make. The "easing back" of two familiar characters, but not happily and mightily.

And if I'm correct, not a single shot was fired.

I liked it. I liked the changes in Mulder and Scully since the series and in this movie.

Great? No. But not every movie has to be either The Dark Knight or Zohan. There's a great big range between those two extremes.

I found it entertaining and comfortable catching up with Mulder and Scully without any overblown plot devices or pat endings.

A good, solid 108 minutes. One point I DO agree with, this definitely should have been an early November release -- the mature movie season.

Hope there's another XF feature.

--Ted
Great review but I do believe there was one shot fired when they were chasing the dude.
Thespeckledkiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30 2008, 02:25 AM   #156
mswood
Rear Admiral

Well we have the first weekday numbers and we can see if X-Files did better during the week days (it does happen).

It made 1.01 million dollars and dropped from 4th place to 6th for the day. Out of the top 14 it had the biggest lose from Sunday to Monday losing over 61% of its audience.

Thats not good at all.

To compare that to Serenity for example. X-Files is a mere 190,000 dollars ahead of it (thanks to being a summer where you do have better weekdays).
Old July 30 2008, 03:21 AM   #157
Jax
Admiral

I so want this movie to make enough profit to warrant a 3rd movie because of what Chris Carter said in a interview...

In an interview, Chris Carter said that if I Want to Believe proves successful, he would propose that a third movie go back to the TV-series' mythology and focus on the alien invasion foretold within the series, due to occur on December 22, 2012
The whole show needs to end with the 2012 invasion IMO and with Humanity falling.
Old July 30 2008, 04:59 AM   #158
Kaijufan
Rear Admiral

Yeah it would be great if they could do a movie (or even a direct to TV/DVD movie) about the 2012 invasion. Hopefully I Want to Believe will make enough money that Fox will be willing to make just one more film, but I'm not going to hold my breath.

Kaijufan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30 2008, 05:12 AM   #159
Bad Bishop
Rear Admiral

Maybe The X-Files can rise from the ashes in a different format. I think a mini-series (4 or 6 hours) like A&E's Andromeda Strain might be viable.
Old July 30 2008, 05:21 AM   #160
sidious618
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to sidious618

Bad Bishop wrote: View Post
Maybe The X-Files can rise from the ashes in a different format. I think a mini-series (4 or 6 hours) like A&E's Andromeda Strain might be viable.
I'd love to see that.
Old July 30 2008, 10:13 AM   #161
Jack Bauer
Fleet Admiral

I'd settle for a tv movie sequel at this point.
Old July 30 2008, 04:59 PM   #162
CaptJimboJones
Vice Admiral

Jack Bauer wrote: View Post
I'd settle for a tv movie sequel at this point.
Doubtful they could get Anderson and Duchovney for a low-budget, made-for-TV sequel, though.

I think it's pretty much done.
Old July 30 2008, 05:02 PM   #163
Harvey
Admiral

I don't know. Duchovny has no problem doing TV on "Californication," and Anderson has been doing British TV here and there lately.

Given an appropriate budget, I can see them doing a TV movie or a miniseries in order to find closure for Chris Carter and the fans.

Maybe.

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3 2008, 06:50 PM   #164
mswood
Rear Admiral

I would be all for a tv movie / miniseries to end the show. In fact for the last 15 years I have been saying thats what Trek should do.

For both shows thats where their biggest success have lied. And where I fell they both could still reach large scale audiences.

Using Trek as an example. With pilots Trek has always managed to garnish huge, huge ratings. But as had a problem keeping those ratings (even TNG could never equal those special programings, except with its series finale). I think X-Files could do similar.

And with that you still have DVD sales to generate revenue.
Old August 3 2008, 06:59 PM   #165
mswood
Rear Admiral

On to the bad news.

Well X-Files weekday grosses were poor. And I had used Serenity (and a couple other films to gauge the X-Files film ending with around 25 million for its final US gross (about 55% will go to t eh studio to help offset its budget 30 million and its World Wide print and advertising cost probably at least, at least another 20 million).

And during the weekdays managed to gain over a million dollars over Serenity.

But it took a huge nose dive this weekend. I had forgotten that Serenity played with people were in school and thus would have smaller weekday numbers (and larger increase for the weekend). So that the full week total should be similar based on their nearly identical opening weekend.

Unfortunately this was not the case.

X-Files only made (based on studio estimates) 3.4 million this weekend (and it might fall even lower as even its estimates for Friday were originally to high, as were the estimates of last weekend). Compared to Serenity's 5.3. So while it gained a million during the week days it lost 2 during the weekend, and is now running a million less then Serenity's US figures. And that movie ended with a total US gross of 25 million. So I could see the X-Files going as low as 22 million and as high as 26.

Just depressingly bad.

Will keep on occasion posting updates, especially when more overseas info comes out. Because right now this is dead in the US market. And while many, many films make a profit over their US, Overseas and Home sales. Usually a studio want greenlight a sequel unless films make a profit that is worth wile as sequels almost always make less.