RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,686
Members: 24,830
Currently online: 412
Newest member: Old Man 51

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Site Forums > TrekToday News Items

TrekToday News Items Discussion of TrekToday news items

Old July 25 2008, 09:19 PM   #31
Pioneer
Captain

Re: Blalock On 'Star Trek XI' Casting

M'Sharak wrote: View Post
Pioneer wrote: View Post
P.P.S.
While I'm on the rant here, this site could use one of these:
<link rel="Shortcut Icon" href="/favicon.ico" type="image/x-icon" />

The icon file could be the UGO Logo in icon form or a Starfleet Emblem or something.
Actually, we do have one (or did, until the recent technical glitches of the last couple of days. I guess Antony will have to check and see where it's got to.)
Thank You, M'Sharak. I didn't think anyone even bothered to read my blatherings anymore. I look forward to the new favicons.
Looking to build Element #137 (Feynmanium)
Old July 26 2008, 09:37 AM   #32
Akiraprise

It's the sci-fi gay parade. You know, gay pride? But for sci-fi, sci-fi pride. That’s what it is.
What the hell?
Oh, Jolene, how I've missed you.
Satan Alien: "You're in a dangerous profession Captain. You face death everyday. There will be another time, and I'll be waiting. Eventually you're coming to my matrix and you will nourish me for a long long time."
Janeway: "Go back to Hell. Coward."
Old July 27 2008, 12:30 PM   #33
Pioneer
Captain

MilitaryCoo wrote: View Post
Fourth, here in the U.S. we say "whiny" not "whingy". So, MisterGaribaldi, you had better be from the UK or you're just being pretentious.
My experience of the word pretentious is that it applies most frequently to those applying it to others.
Eh, no. Pretentious means people who do things to make themselves seem more intelligent or important than they really are. Such as using British words and spelling. I don't do that. But don't take my word for it. You can look up the definition of pretentious in the dictionary, if you own one. And besides who made you MisterGaribaldi's bitch, er, wingman?
Old July 27 2008, 12:33 PM   #34
Pioneer
Captain

MisterGaribaldi wrote: View Post
MisterGaribaldi wrote: View Post
Fuck off Blalock, you whingy bitch.
What's with all the Blalock bashing?
All she ever did was whinge.
First, T'Pol was a great character and Jolene is super-hot , both in Enterprise <snip>
Agreed. Doesn't exclude her from being a whingy bitch.

Fourth, here in the U.S. we say "whiny" not "whingy". So, MisterGaribaldi, you had better be from the UK or you're just being pretentious.
I am from the UK, but you can still take the above a shove it where the monkey keeps its dates.
Since you are actually from the UK (or so you say), all is forgiven. And monkeys generally put peanuts in their mouths. At least they do here in the US. I have no idea where they put them in the UK. Probably the same place you keep your brains, if you have any.
Old July 27 2008, 01:21 PM   #35
cubbie
Vice Admiral

Infraction given. Get back to bashing Blalock and not each other, k?
Old July 27 2008, 01:53 PM   #36
Santaman
Rear Admiral

T'Bonz wrote: View Post

I tell you, the Romulans are the Rodney Dangerfields of the Galaxy. They get no respect.
What are you doing here yapping? get back to work!

*runs while dodging disruptor fire and romulan curses*
Old July 30 2008, 01:39 PM   #37
MilitaryCoo
Captain

Pretentious means people who do things to make themselves seem more intelligent or important than they really are.
Such as, say, accusing people of being pretentious completely out of nowhere?

I'm not defending MisterGaribaldi per se, I'm attacking your nonsense
Old July 30 2008, 03:55 PM   #38
TerriO
Writer-type human

MilitaryCoo wrote: View Post
My experience of the word pretentious is that it applies most frequently to those applying it to others.
Eh, no. Pretentious means people who do things to make themselves seem more intelligent or important than they really are. Such as using British words and spelling. I don't do that. But don't take my word for it. You can look up the definition of pretentious in the dictionary, if you own one. And besides who made you MisterGaribaldi's bitch, er, wingman?

Darlin', I've been using "whinge" since grade school, and you know I'm not from the U.K. Are you accusing me of being pretentious just because of that?

Because if you are, you've missed a ton of other qualifiers for me being pretentious.

Speaking of more important than people think, just because Blalock's hot (allegedly, being female she does nothing for me), it's fascinating that people are giving her fannish opinion far more weight than the average fan's.
Old July 30 2008, 05:32 PM   #39
T'Bonz
Romulan Curmudgeon

Eh, no. Pretentious means people who do things to make themselves seem more intelligent or important than they really are. Such as using British words and spelling.
Actually, I've picked up some British words and spelling just because I'm exposed to them so often online. I get yelled at, at home. "Don't say you're knackered, say you're TIRED!"

Nothing to do with being pretentious. If I wanted to be pretentious, I'd go into hyper-formal mode when speaking instead of using British words/spelling.

Romulans aren't paranoid. We're merely proactively cautious.
Old July 30 2008, 09:41 PM   #40
kissthestar
Captain

slappy wrote: View Post
She sounds like she's kissing up to fanboys again. Very message-board-ish sounding "opinion" from her. Since when is she all about Shatner?
Hmm. Lucky fanboys...
Old July 30 2008, 11:31 PM   #41
kissthestar
Captain

T'Baio wrote: View Post
My impression of the Nero poster is that it looks like his ears have been cut off. I'm gonna' make an educated guess and say that he himself cuts them off...probably because he's pissed off about reunification.
Maybe it's an artistic statement, the ear cutting, I mean.
Old August 3 2008, 06:57 AM   #42
Anna Yolei
Vice Admiral

slappy wrote: View Post
She sounds like she's kissing up to fanboys again. Very message-board-ish sounding "opinion" from her. Since when is she all about Shatner?
She's been a TOS fangirl from the very first interview I remember reading of hers, and that was seven years ago. I'm not surprised given she's never been especially shy about giving her opinion.
...it bothers me that she seems to be another "Shatner only" fan. There is more to Trek than Shatner.
Also not true, by far. I remember that Maxim article that she wanted to play a Vulcan because she loved the character of Spock.