Scotland Yard Trekkie Fear
By: T'Bonz on May 22

Koenig Joins Captain Pike Project
By: T'Bonz on May 22

Retro Review: Ex Post Facto
By: Michelle on May 22

Smallwood: Creating The Xindi
By: T'Bonz on May 21

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science and Technology

Science and Technology "Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known." - Carl Sagan.

Old February 28 2015, 11:04 PM   #1
YellowSubmarine
Rear Admiral

Global warming causes trouble in Siberia

A mysterious crater appeared out of nowhere in Siberia about an year ago. The Internet back then was quick to pinpoint the obvious culprit – aliens. We always know it's the aliens.

Since then at least seven of these creepy craters have been counted, each one creepier than the previous ones. The one on top looks humongous.

But it turns out Earth should hurry to issue a formal apology to the aliens, as the actual cause of the craters has been uncovered, and it is, to everyone's surprise, humans. It seems global warming disrupted the permafrost causing methane trapped inside the ground to explode. It's so freaky to picture it that I began fearing the ground under my building exploding – even if I live in an area where an alien intervention is genuinely more likely.

Global warming is already causing more than a hundred thousand deaths a year, 85% of which children deaths. Some are particularly nasty, like diarrhoea deaths. The number is expected to rise to 250 thousand by 2030-2050, and that's not counting the displaced people. (2004 WHO study PDF, WHO projections) Amidst these direct effects, we are only beginning to understand the strange parts of the ecosystem that become unexpected victims of climate change, such as koalas and trees. And did anyone ever think of the moose?

And now we have earth literally exploding. Thankfully, the area is sparsely populated. Even though the people are probably not happy about losing parts of that gas, at least nobody is going to die because of this. But the change in climate is making things happen, and some of them are surprising, and none of them are pretty.
Old February 28 2015, 11:28 PM   #2
urbandefault
Fleet Captain

Re: Global warming causes trouble in Siberia

Not to be a wet blanket, but don't you think it's possible that it's just a natural occurrence? The planet was here long before us, and it will be here long after we're gone.

Just the other day I read something that said global warming is on vacation for a few years, or something like that.

I live in a place where the weather goes from 80 degrees and sunny one day to snowing the next. It's been that way my whole life, and I'm not a youngster. We have earthquakes and tornadoes and floods and droughts, and we're still here.

Stay calm.
Old February 28 2015, 11:33 PM   #3
RoJoHen
Awesome

urbandefault wrote: View Post
Not to be a wet blanket, but don't you think it's possible that it's just a natural occurrence? The planet was here long before us, and it will be here long after we're gone.
This is kind of how I feel as well. I'm certainly not denying the existence of Global Warming, but it seems like it's being blamed for every weird thing that happens these days.
Old March 1 2015, 12:09 AM   #4
YellowSubmarine
Rear Admiral

Not to be a wet blanket, but don't you think it's possible that it's just a natural occurrence?
Natural occurrence? Can't be. It's either the aliens or the hoomans.

As for staying calm, explosions in the middles of what's almost a snow desert are less scary than more people dying of extreme heat, so if this is a natural occurrence that won't bring much relief. It is bizarre though.
Old March 1 2015, 04:16 AM   #5
T'Girl
Vice Admiral

Okay, maybe I missed something ... it's a hole.

T'Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1 2015, 05:41 AM   #6
Lakenheath 72
Lieutenant Commander

The impression I get from climate change deniers is that the idea of humans changing is a recent phenomena, like a fad that humans will get out of.

The first time that humans consider that we were responsible for changing the climate was in the 1790s. So, this isn't new. What has changed is our technology.

Scientists have been gathering core samples from Antarctica and other locations to build a picture of the climate history of our planet. Our world should be heading to another Ice Age; however, our world is heading another direction.

The fact that methane is being released is frightening to me. One of the early mass extinction events was caused by a massive release of methane, amongst other things.

Humans are destructive creatures. Someone mentioned a koala. There is a disturbing video of loggers bulldozing a tree with a koala mother and baby in the tree.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ord-rates.html
Lakenheath 72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1 2015, 10:45 AM   #7
MacLeod
Admiral

Just the other day I read something that said global warming is on vacation for a few years, or something like that.

I live in a place where the weather goes from 80 degrees and sunny one day to snowing the next. It's been that way my whole life, and I'm not a youngster. We have earthquakes and tornadoes and floods and droughts, and we're still here.

Stay calm.
Well I believe the more accurate term is climate change rather than global warming. And isn't it possible that some regions might see little change, whilst other areas see more change to theri climate.

Could 97% of the worlds climate scientits be wrong, sure. But lets put it this way if we bring in greener tecnologies and they are wrong what are the consequence of that? However if we fail to bring in greener technologies and the deniers are wrong what are the consequencies of that?

Many of us may not be around to see the worst effects of climate change but our chuildren and their children might. Surely we should be taking action to try and leave a better world for them.
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
MacLeod is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 1 2015, 01:09 PM   #8
Metryq
Fleet Captain

It's called a Pingo

The phenomenon appears to be very similar to sinkholes, which are caused by changes in the water table. (No permafrost in Florida.)

No methane explosion, but you can ratchet up the "mankind is evil" sentiment all you want, if it makes you feel better.
Old March 1 2015, 01:17 PM   #9
YellowSubmarine
Rear Admiral

Thinking about it more, I would be surprised if these craters aren't connected to climate change. That doesn't mean that they aren't a natural occurrence. I am sure it is, I am also sure this has happened long before humans were even around, and that it is not the first time it has happened in that region either. But these particular occurrences, which would seem likely to be triggered by melting of the permafrost, I seriously doubt they would have happened – not in the same number, at least – if if it wasn't for climate change. Attributing the individual occurrences to global warming directly is premature, and I was certainly overdoing it, and we might never be able to. But unnatural and prolonged changes to the weather that's been usual in the region can disrupt long-standing systems that seemed stable, but with prolonged heat, extreme cold and other side-effects of changing climate, no longer are. Things like these are exactly what one would expect to happen more.
Old March 1 2015, 08:01 PM   #10
T'Girl
Vice Admiral

MacLeod wrote: View Post
But lets put it this way if we bring in greener tecnologies and they are wrong what are the consequence of that?
We would have expended a considerable amount of time, effort, resources and treasure on a useless endeavor that could have been employed elsewhere.

But wasn't.

T'Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2 2015, 12:52 AM   #11
MacLeod
Admiral

The counter argument to that would be, we would have reduced our dependancy for fuel sources be they oil, coal etc.. from less stable parts of the world, would have improved air quality due to less use of fossil fuels which could proivide health benefits, and sooner or later fossil fuels would have run out and needed replacing anyway.

I'm still placing that in the win column.
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
Old March 2 2015, 01:55 AM   #12
JirinPanthosa
Rear Admiral

I am very convinced that manmade climate change is a real thing that could have horrible consequences in the future, but the effects of it haven't had enough impact on most people's everyday lives to convince them to make personal sacrifices. And I don't think it helps that some scientists put on their used car salesman voices to try to convince people that the currently unimpressive statistics are in fact already terrifying when the people with vested interests in convincing them climate change is a hoax are much better connected, much better salesmen.
JirinPanthosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2 2015, 12:53 PM   #13
{ Emilia }
Light my fire

The problem is that this is a long-term process. The results of our past actions will only be felt in a few decades. So when things are starting to have "enough impact" on most people's everyday lives... it'll be too late to really change shit.
Old March 2 2015, 01:45 PM   #14
MacLeod
Admiral

^And most of us won't be around then to feel them.
Old March 2 2015, 01:58 PM   #15
Davros
Fleet Admiral

There is little significant difference between climate change deniers and flat earthers.