Saldana: Women Issues In Hollywood
By: T'Bonz on Nov 21

Shatner Book Kickstarter
By: T'Bonz on Nov 20

Trek Original Series Slippers
By: T'Bonz on Nov 19

Hemsworth Is Sexiest Man Alive
By: T'Bonz on Nov 19

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Site Forums > TrekToday News Items

TrekToday News Items Discussion of TrekToday news items

Old July 21 2008, 09:57 PM   #46
Basil
Fleet Captain

Re: 'Star Trek XI' Romulan Speaks

ancient wrote: View Post
Reading comprehension = good

I wonder which episode he was trying to watch? Spock's Brain?

I'm reminded of Fry's description in Futurama: (paraphrasing from memeory here)

FRY: "You know, Star Trek. 79 episodes...about 30 good ones."
The same could be said for "Lost."

I'm not a huge fan of J.J. Abrams, who seems best at recycling old ideas into drawn-out soap operas with a sci-fi flavoring . . . his latest, Fox's "Fringe," already looks like pretentious crap (and reminds me of that Brannon Braga abortion from a few years ago). Though "Star Trek" has the budget to do a feature film of the series the way it should have been done years ago, I'm hoping that it won't turn into some smarmy Gen-Y rendering of a TV show that, while imperfect, tried to make sci-fi reasonably approachable for a mass audience. I'd rather have TOS' "camp," or even the bland pontificating cheese of the bald guy, the big-nosed robot, and the wooden redhead doctor. If we get what amounts to "One Tree Hill" in outer space, I'll run screaming from the theater, straight to Abrams' house, with a copy of TOS Season 1 to pummel him with.
Old July 21 2008, 10:41 PM   #47
Balthier the Great
Fleet Captain

locborg wrote: View Post
are you guys serious?

this poster looks like a weird american pie/smalllville mixup. i dont want a friggin kirk who acts like the typical springbreak alpha male.
Spock looks ok i guess but what´s up with zaldana?i imagine this uhura washing the enterprise outer hull with a giant sponge

the trailer´s dark and epic atmosphere made me feel really optimistic but this poster is a giant setback...
Kirk IS a a spring break alpha male. Which version of TOS were you watching?

And I don't think we need to worry about the cheese
Old July 21 2008, 11:02 PM   #48
Dusty Ayres
Commodore

Basil wrote: View Post
ancient wrote: View Post
Reading comprehension = good

I wonder which episode he was trying to watch? Spock's Brain?

I'm reminded of Fry's description in Futurama: (paraphrasing from memeory here)

FRY: "You know, Star Trek. 79 episodes...about 30 good ones."
The same could be said for "Lost."

I'm not a huge fan of J.J. Abrams, who seems best at recycling old ideas into drawn-out soap operas with a sci-fi flavoring . . . his latest, Fox's "Fringe," already looks like pretentious crap (and reminds me of that Brannon Braga abortion from a few years ago). Though "Star Trek" has the budget to do a feature film of the series the way it should have been done years ago, I'm hoping that it won't turn into some smarmy Gen-Y rendering of a TV show that, while imperfect, tried to make sci-fi reasonably approachable for a mass audience. I'd rather have TOS' "camp," or even the bland pontificating cheese of the bald guy, the big-nosed robot, and the wooden redhead doctor. If we get what amounts to "One Tree Hill" in outer space, I'll run screaming from the theater, straight to Abrams' house, with a copy of TOS Season 1 to pummel him with.
Didn't anybody notice that Lost is a rip-off of The New People anyway, even if Abram's said that it isn't?
Old July 22 2008, 01:35 AM   #49
Basil
Fleet Captain

BalthierTheGreat wrote: View Post
locborg wrote: View Post
are you guys serious?

this poster looks like a weird american pie/smalllville mixup. i dont want a friggin kirk who acts like the typical springbreak alpha male.
Spock looks ok i guess but what´s up with zaldana?i imagine this uhura washing the enterprise outer hull with a giant sponge

the trailer´s dark and epic atmosphere made me feel really optimistic but this poster is a giant setback...
Kirk IS a a spring break alpha male. Which version of TOS were you watching?

And I don't think we need to worry about the cheese
Not in the earlier episodes, where while in good physical condition, he is more brainy and studious than "alpha male." He morphed into the swaggering Shatner-esque figure by Season Two.
Old July 22 2008, 02:15 AM   #50
Garrovick

This "news" still won't prevent me from ranting (oops RENTING) the DVD when it comes out..

Freudian Slip?

Old July 22 2008, 07:36 AM   #51
T'Bonz
Romulan Curmudgeon

Dusty Ayres wrote: View Post
Didn't anybody notice that Lost is a rip-off of The New People anyway, even if Abram's said that it isn't?
I actually watched "The New People", as a child.

While the basic premise was similar, I really can't say that Lost is a ripoff of it. Any more than The New People was a ripoff (albeit by boat rather than plane) of Gilligan's Island.

Romulans aren't paranoid. We're merely proactively cautious.