Star Trek 3 Potential Director Shortlist
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Official Starships Collection Update
By: T'Bonz on Dec 15

Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Site Forums > TrekToday News Items

TrekToday News Items Discussion of TrekToday news items

Old July 18 2008, 03:45 AM   #1
TrekToday
Rear Admiral

'Star Trek XI' Romulan Speaks

Clifton Collins lets die-hard fans know that this Star Trek is different than classic Star Trek.

As reported by Creators.com, Collins, who plays a Romulan along with Eric Bana, had this to say about Star Trek XI. "He's [Abrams] totally reinvented the whole thing and taken the cheese out of it."

According to Collins, "I tried to watch some of the old 'Star Treks,' and with all due respect, they were probably cool at the time, but I couldn't watch them. This is the real deal. It's just got a lot of reality. It's not corny at all."

He also spoke about the roles that he and Bana portrayed. "I can't tell you too much, but me and Eric are some real bad dudes. If you think you've seen me play some bad dudes on this planet, wait 'til you see me off this planet, raisin' up in outer space."

Speaking of Bana, the first photo of him in character has appeared as reported by TrekMovie.com as taken from an article in Entertainment Weekly. The picture can be seen here. Three other cast photos have also debuted, including Chris Pine as Captain Kirk, Zachary Quinto as Spock and Zoe Saldana as Lieutenant Uhura. The four posters combine to make one large poster. Fans attending Comic Con next week will be given one of the four posters.

To read more, head to the article located here. The four posters can be seen by heading to TrekMovie.com.

Old July 18 2008, 03:48 AM   #2
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

Re: 'Star Trek XI' Romulan Speaks

TrekToday wrote: View Post
"He's [Abrams] totally reinvented the whole thing and taken the cheese out of it..,I tried to watch some of the old 'Star Treks,' and with all due respect, they were probably cool at the time, but I couldn't watch them. This is the real deal. It's just got a lot of reality. It's not corny at all."

Cripes. The fan is gonna hit the shit now. I just hope no one busts a blood vessel.
Old July 18 2008, 03:49 AM   #3
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

And the new Kirk, Spock and Uhura look excellent, BTW.

This recast is long overdue.
Old July 18 2008, 04:45 AM   #4
TheRealNaveed
Lieutenant

Send a message via AIM to TheRealNaveed Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to TheRealNaveed Send a message via Yahoo to TheRealNaveed

Every one of the four is so, so sexy. I can't wait!

And as for the cheese, I'm one of those second-generation Trek fans. TOS was always and probably always will be my least liked of the franchise simply because of the camp involved. Now, this is supposed to be new. I don't see why people are so worried about this movie ruining Trek - the original series exists. This does not replace TOS, it is simply a new take on it. I'd rather see something new than the same old stuff again, especially more of the same old TOS.
Old July 18 2008, 06:01 AM   #5
Dale
Vice Admiral

The visuals we've seen today are exciting... the comments above less so. What the generations that came up behind seem to see as cheese or corn I see as wit and charm. I am still optimistic about the film, but am made nervous by the thought that this may be another souless slam-bang reincarnation that, while alleged to appeal to both old fans and new, will in fact be strictly for the emo kids the way Batman Begins and the upcoming The Dark Night are... I don't want a dark, grim-and-gritty Star Trek.
For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear. - 2 Timothy 4:3
Old July 18 2008, 06:05 AM   #6
Santa Claus
Believe

Send a message via ICQ to Santa Claus Send a message via AIM to Santa Claus Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Santa Claus Send a message via Yahoo to Santa Claus

Dale Hoppert wrote: View Post
The visuals we've seen today are exciting... the comments above less so. What the generations that came up behind seem to see as cheese or corn I see as wit and charm. I am still optimistic about the film, but am made nervous by the thought that this may be another souless slam-bang reincarnation that, while alleged to appeal to both old fans and new, will in fact be strictly for the emo kids the way Batman Begins and the upcoming The Dark Night are... I don't want a dark, grim-and-gritty Star Trek.

I can't explain it, but for some reason I don't think that's all we'll be getting.

J.
❄ A Joyful Holiday Season to You All! ❄

Old July 18 2008, 06:11 AM   #7
Dale
Vice Admiral

Meh... that's just the CareBear in you coming out, you freakin' optimist.
For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear. - 2 Timothy 4:3
Old July 18 2008, 06:11 AM   #8
ElimParra
Fleet Admiral

This looks promising. Still need to see more.
Old July 18 2008, 06:49 AM   #9
ancient
Vice Admiral

OMG he doesn't like Star Trek burn him!!!!

Anyway, yeah, I love the original, cheese and all. But I'm not the one he has to convince to see this thing. Loosing the cheese is no terrible loss anyway. Actually the best episodes had the lowest percentage of cheese for the most part.
Old July 18 2008, 08:08 AM   #10
Jack Bauer
Fleet Admiral

Awesome pics! Zoe Saldana looks amazingly sexy. Did something gnaw on Bana's character's ear?
Old July 18 2008, 09:20 AM   #11
Tyson
Fleet Captain

When I think of cheese I think of Buck Rogers, Lost in Space or the original Battlestar Galactica. TOS could be campy at times, but for it's era it was the Serious Business alternative with (as the other guy said) wit and charm. I don't expect everyone to be a fan or even like it, but if you "couldn't watch it", I mean actually be unable to sit down for 45 minutes and watch a whole episode, I can only presume a tiny bit of snobbishness. Then again this is Eric Bana, a wooden actor who probably doesn't know what the fuck he's on about anyway.

What's odd is the retro stylings of the posters... if that's indicative of the movie's style then that's pretty neat. What I don't like are the conflicting reports from this movie that are obviously designed to hype it up to anybody who will listen, fan or not. "You're a fan? Oh it's totally old-school, it's classic Trek dudebrah! Oh you're not a fan? Well it's totally not all gay like old Star Trek it's wicked badass!" That doesn't inspire much confidence.

Then again, should I really expect anything other than retarded nonsense from this film, if the guys who wrote Transformers are doing it?
Old July 18 2008, 09:29 AM   #12
locborg
Ensign

are you guys serious?

this poster looks like a weird american pie/smalllville mixup. i dont want a friggin kirk who acts like the typical springbreak alpha male.
Spock looks ok i guess but what´s up with zaldana?i imagine this uhura washing the enterprise outer hull with a giant sponge

the trailer´s dark and epic atmosphere made me feel really optimistic but this poster is a giant setback...
Old July 18 2008, 09:33 AM   #13
JNG
Chief of Staff, Starfleet Command

A great big fucking rolleyes for that Rom poster and for the comments from that actor. Tattoos? That's the new scary factor that "takes the cheese out" of Romulans? Hey, how about sunglasses and skateboards so we know these are EXTREME ROMULANS? I don't mean to oversimplify, but I just don't like that. I never found the Romulan commander in "Balance of Terror" cheesy for one goddamn second and I mean it 100%.

The other posters look okay.
Old July 18 2008, 01:28 PM   #14
Procutus
Admiral

ElimParra wrote: View Post

This looks promising. Still need to see more.

That's what I think, too. Nice glimpse at the new faces, but I'm just slightly disappointed that we can't see what the full costumes look like.

Quinto is perfect as Spock, IMO. He has the look down, I can't wait to actually hear him speak Spock's dialogue.
Old July 18 2008, 02:08 PM   #15
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

Dale Hoppert wrote: View Post
Meh... that's just the CareBear in you coming out, you freakin' optimist.
It may also have something to do with the early publicity materials all coming out in bright rainbow colors.