TV Alert: Pine On Tonight Show
By: T'Bonz on Dec 22

Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old July 19 2008, 12:19 AM   #91
The Old Building & Loan
Vice Admiral

Re: Watchmen Trailer Online

mr.peany wrote: View Post
I've never heard of Watchmen before, but that trailer has peaked my interest. Im assuming this is based on novels / comics yes?
Originally a 12-issue limited series from 1986/7, has been available in trade paperback at all reputable bookstores for the last 20 years: http://www.amazon.com/Watchmen-Alan-...6422832&sr=8-1

To reemphasize what I told Temis, I would highly recommend to anyone who thinks they may be interested in reading the original comic that they do so before seeing the movie. However good the movie is, it will only be an adaptation of a story that was told to perfection in its original medium.

captcalhoun wrote: View Post
am i the only one who doesn't like Watchmen and doesn't give a flying fuck about this movie?

not trying to pick a fight, just asking...
Yes.

Just answering.

shivkala wrote: View Post
I think you guys were missing the point of Temis' post (and I say this because I was ready to counter with similar points before I re-read her post). If I read her post correctly, I think she's trying to give us a view of what those who never read the story will think, rather than serious issues she has with the trailer.

To which, I would reply, this movie is most likely aimed at those who have read the story and understand its history. I think it's meant to be esoteric.
I think the point of any post on a discussion forum is to evoke discussion. Whether her points were her own beliefs or purely hypothetical, she raised them and they bore discussion.

I think people who have never picked up a comic in their life may be drawn to this movie just based on the visuals and style of the trailer--how strongly, I don't know.
Old July 19 2008, 12:20 AM   #92
TheBrew
Vice Admiral

If you watch (this is most noticeable during his "line"), you can see his mask does subtly shift.

I like the original series, so I am looking forward to this. If it works, great. If it doesn't, that doesn't diminish the original work.
For one of us could drink it all alone. Damn near.
TheBrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19 2008, 12:22 AM   #93
JonathonWally
Admiral

View JonathonWally's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to JonathonWally Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to JonathonWally

TheBrew wrote: View Post
If you watch (this is most noticeable during his "line"), you can see his mask does subtly shift.

I like the original series, so I am looking forward to this. If it works, great. If it doesn't, that doesn't diminish the original work.
I'm not concerned with that at this point. The effects aren't finished. Just look at Dr Manhattan's face in some spots, then look at others. When he's split and when their kissing, it's very detailed and finished with good expression, but when he blows the one dude up, his face looks a bit off.
Are you hearin me, like I'm hearin you?
JonathonWally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19 2008, 12:27 AM   #94
TheBrew
Vice Admiral

I am not concerned either, just answering Yassim's question.
For one of us could drink it all alone. Damn near.
TheBrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19 2008, 12:29 AM   #95
Agent Richard07
Retired

Temis the Vorta wrote: View Post
3. "Graphic novel" gimmee a break, fancy name for a comic book. Self-important.
I think the term "graphic novel" is perfectly legitimate. I don't see what the problem is nor do I see them as trying to be something they're not. They're "novels" that have a visual element.
Agent Richard07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19 2008, 12:29 AM   #96
JonathonWally
Admiral

View JonathonWally's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to JonathonWally Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to JonathonWally

TheBrew wrote: View Post
I am not concerned either, just answering Yassim's question.

And I'm bored so I'm adding more to the conversation damnit!

But seriously, ya, you can see his face shift during his line. You can also see it shift when he holds the guy up against the wall.
Old July 19 2008, 02:41 AM   #97
Jack Bauer
Fleet Admiral

It was the only trailer we got for the Dark Knight IMAX showing. It looked cool on that big screen.
Old July 19 2008, 03:25 AM   #98
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

Agent Richard07 wrote: View Post
I think the term "graphic novel" is perfectly legitimate.
Among other things, it's a more accurate term for these long-form stories than "comic book" - besides everything else, the adjective "comic" is traditional rather than descriptive or appropriate.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19 2008, 06:49 AM   #99
Caligula
Vice Admiral

I first read Watchmen sometime back in the late 90's (i.e. approximately 10-12 years ago). Up until that point, I'd mainly been reading superhero comics like X-Men and Fantastic Four. Well, once I'd gotten my hands on Watchmen, it made those other comics seem like candy-coated fluff by comparison. I can understand and sympathize with the opinion of those who are apprehensive about the film adaptation of this graphic novel. If you stop and think about it, that 12 issue series almost qualifies as a movie all by itself. The quality of the story and the sheer detail captured from panel to panel account for that.

That being said.... Ever since that first time I flipped through the pages of Watchmen, I've been dreaming of a big-screen adaptation. In fact, the only movies I can think of that I've ever anticipated quite like this would be Star Wars - Episode III: Revenge of the Sith and the Lord of the Rings trilogy. Now having seen the trailer online earlier today..... "Holy fuck!" are the words that spring to mind. I've enjoyed Zack Snyder's work thus far. The Dawn of the Dead remake was surprisingly good (though could never have hoped to surpass the original), and 300 was a pure adrenaline rush. With Watchmen, although all I have seen is a teaser trailer, Mr. Snyder may well have outdone himself this time.
Caligula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19 2008, 07:37 AM   #100
grabmygoblin
Commodore

my screening of Dark Knight didn't have the Watchmen trailer!!

is it worth waiting another few days to see it on the big screen for the first time, or should I just watch it on youtube?
Old July 19 2008, 07:49 AM   #101
Kaijufan
Rear Admiral

grabmygoblin wrote: View Post
my screening of Dark Knight didn't have the Watchmen trailer!!

is it worth waiting another few days to see it on the big screen for the first time, or should I just watch it on youtube?
You could download a HD version from Apple's site.

Kaijufan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19 2008, 09:58 PM   #102
Ethros
Vice Admiral

Anyone know what the song is used in the trailer?

Love that shot of Nite-Owl's ship 'Archie' coming up from the water with the NY skyline (with WTC) in the background.
Ethros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19 2008, 10:00 PM   #103
JonathonWally
Admiral

Ethros wrote: View Post
Anyone know what the song is used in the trailer?

Love that shot of Nite-Owl's ship 'Archie' coming up from the water with the NY skyline (with WTC) in the background.

As I mentioned earlier in the thread, it's "The Beginning is the End is the Beginning" by Smashing Pumpkins.
Old July 19 2008, 10:02 PM   #104
Ethros
Vice Admiral

Ah cool, must have missed that, cheers!

btw, did anyone else think in that shot of The Comedian with the flame thrower he looked like Robert Downey Jr? Or just me?
Ethros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19 2008, 10:14 PM   #105
George Bailey
The Revd's Oldman

View George Bailey's Twitter Profile

Ethros wrote: View Post
Ah cool, must have missed that, cheers!

btw, did anyone else think in that shot of The Comedian with the flame thrower he looked like Robert Downey Jr? Or just me?
Before I downloaded the HD version, on the low quality YouTube one I saw, I thought it looked like him blacked up for his Tropic Thunder role.
You sit around here and you spin your little webs and you think the whole world revolves around you and your money. Well, it doesn't, Mr. Potter. In the whole vast configuration of things, I'd say you were nothing but a scurvy little spider!
George Bailey is offline   Reply With Quote