RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 138,158
Posts: 5,344,160
Members: 24,600
Currently online: 802
Newest member: Lord Galen

TrekToday headlines

Abrams Announces Star Wars: Force For Change Sweepstakes
By: T'Bonz on Jul 22

New Funko Trek Figure
By: T'Bonz on Jul 21

Saldana As A Role Model
By: T'Bonz on Jul 21

San Diego Comic-Con Trek Fan Guide
By: T'Bonz on Jul 21

Cumberbatch As Turing
By: T'Bonz on Jul 21

Retro Review: In the Pale Moonlight
By: Michelle on Jul 19

Trek Beach Towel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 18

Two New Starships Collection Releases
By: T'Bonz on Jul 17

Giacchino Tour Arrives In North America
By: T'Bonz on Jul 17

IDW Publishing October Star Trek Comics
By: T'Bonz on Jul 16


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old July 18 2008, 05:04 PM   #61
Stone_Cold_Sisko
Vice Admiral
 
Re: Watchmen Trailer Online

USS Mariner wrote: View Post
Ozymandias, Silk Spectre and especially Nite Owl all look like tasteless Hollywood ripoffs instead of their comic counterparts. Snyder seems more keen on using his past experience instead of using the fucking book, and it really shows.

Gimme a break. Dave Gibbons and Alan Moore gave us some of the best hero costumes, both design-wise and also with great amounts of respect to the legacy of heroes before them. Synder adding his special "touch" to it looks as if he just unzipped his fly and took a great piss on them.

Thankfully, he left Dr. Manhattan and Rorschach alone. He at least had enough sense to do that.

Hopefully the movie itself will be better.
I like Nite Owl's costume, and Spectre's ok I guess (i dont know, i'm not sure i've ever seen a woman costume that hasn't looked porn-ish, i mean i'm not complaining mind you). Ozy looked really dopey however in that one shot.
Stone_Cold_Sisko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18 2008, 05:07 PM   #62
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral
 
Re: Watchmen Trailer Online

I don't know why people always want to see comic book costumes on the big screen. Some look okay, but few can't be improved. There was certainly nothing very distinctive about most of the costumes Gibbons designed - at least not those for the "modern" heroes. The rather rough outfits worn by several of the Minutemen were quite striking - Hooded Justice, for example. But Silk Spectre II - hell, the filmmakers were more than sufficiently respectful to that. And the comic book Ozymandia outfit was silly as hell.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18 2008, 05:18 PM   #63
Lapis Exilis
Rear Admiral
 
Lapis Exilis's Avatar
 
Location: Underground
Re: Watchmen Trailer Online

I'm a Watchmen movie skeptic and I thought 300 was one of the most ridiculous films ever made.

However, except for the incessant slo-mo Snyder is so fond of, the trailer certainly took me back to the mid-80s and reading Watchmen.

I've been skeptical because I think Watchmen is so tightly tied to the idea of comic books that changing its format is unlikely to capture what makes the story great. I've also been concerned that superhero films have not developed enough for a movie deconstructing superhero mythology would make any sense. The Dark Knight may have changed that. If they are able to pull those deconstruction aspects together and make the movie as tightly tied to film as the original story was to comics, it might actually work.
__________________
Don't try to win over the haters; you're not the jackass whisperer. - Scott Straten
Lapis Exilis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18 2008, 05:40 PM   #64
watermelony2k
Vice Admiral
 
Re: Watchmen Trailer Online

there's an easter egg in the trailer:

http://moviesblog.mtv.com/2008/07/17...=rssFeedBurner
watermelony2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18 2008, 07:33 PM   #65
Obiwanshinobi
Rear Admiral
 
Obiwanshinobi's Avatar
 
Location: ObiWanShinobi
Re: Watchmen Trailer Online

watermelony2k wrote: View Post
there's an easter egg in the trailer:

http://moviesblog.mtv.com/2008/07/17...=rssFeedBurner
in regards to that easter egg,

doesn't James Bond point a gun directly at the audience in the opening sequence to each of his films....he walks out.....and then quickly draws out his gun...MPAA never said anything about that....
Obiwanshinobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18 2008, 07:40 PM   #66
JoeZhang
Vice Admiral
 
JoeZhang's Avatar
 
Re: Watchmen Trailer Online

Starship Polaris wrote: View Post
There was certainly nothing very distinctive about most of the costumes Gibbons designed - at least not those for the "modern" heroes..
But that was the whole point ! In that trailer she looks like some sorta badass Super Ninja, which also entirely misses the point. Same with Niteowl dropping from the sky a la Batman.

Hopefully this is misleading trailer to draw people in.
JoeZhang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18 2008, 07:41 PM   #67
Kryton
Admiral
 
Kryton's Avatar
 
Location: In ur Starbug
Re: Watchmen Trailer Online

I wouldn't be surprised if the James Bond shot wasn't "grandfathered-in" since it pre-dated the MPAA.
Kryton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18 2008, 07:41 PM   #68
S. Gomez
Rear Admiral
 
Location: Vancouver, BC
Re: Watchmen Trailer Online

^^^Yes, but the article says they prohibit those things in advertising, rather than in the actual film. Still, they have used that shot in trailers, so you do have a point.
__________________
Marvellous Adventure--Online periodical with escape, excitement, and adventure
S. Gomez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18 2008, 07:48 PM   #69
JonathonWally
Admiral
 
JonathonWally's Avatar
 
Location: It's Hard To Be Modest When You're As Good As I Am
View JonathonWally's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to JonathonWally Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to JonathonWally
Re: Watchmen Trailer Online

the easter egg in question

http://img141.imageshack.us/img141/6...etalkieyj5.jpg
__________________
Living vicariously through myself
I like JonathanWally's secret topic races. It's silly and kind of subversive---kind of like him!-auntiehill
I Aim To Misbehave
Are you hearin me, like I'm hearin you?
JonathonWally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18 2008, 07:56 PM   #70
USS Mariner
Rear Admiral
 
USS Mariner's Avatar
 
Location: Homestate of Matt Jefferies
View USS Mariner's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to USS Mariner Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to USS Mariner
Re: Watchmen Trailer Online

Starship Polaris wrote: View Post
There was certainly nothing very distinctive about most of the costumes Gibbons designed - at least not those for the "modern" heroes..
The new costumes look like shit. Your point being?

I think the main reason why they got the costumes wrong is because Zack Snyder can't read English. They aren't supposed to be "80's" costumes, because they were shelved in 1977 thanks to the Keene Act!

The set design, however, seems to follow the comic rather well, and is thematically grounded in the mid-eighties where it belongs.

No amount of CGI, however, is going to force those costumes to coexist in the world, which not only removes them from their world, but also highlights their flaws ("Spandex" Spectre looking like a whore, Nite Owl actually being Batman, Ozymandias being a stunt double for 300, etc.)

I can't fathom how Synder got the sets right and the costuming wrong without coming to the conclusion that he has the reading aptitude of Fantasia.
__________________
Ignorance is forgivable,
Arrogance is reprehensible,
Narcissism is intolerable.

Subspace Commns Network ~ Visit Marinina!
USS Mariner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18 2008, 08:05 PM   #71
JonathonWally
Admiral
 
JonathonWally's Avatar
 
Location: It's Hard To Be Modest When You're As Good As I Am
View JonathonWally's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to JonathonWally Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to JonathonWally
Re: Watchmen Trailer Online

USS Mariner wrote: View Post
Starship Polaris wrote: View Post
There was certainly nothing very distinctive about most of the costumes Gibbons designed - at least not those for the "modern" heroes..
The new costumes look like shit. Your point being?

I think the main reason why they got the costumes wrong is because Zack Snyder can't read English. They aren't supposed to be "80's" costumes, because they were shelved in 1977 thanks to the Keene Act!

The set design, however, seems to follow the comic rather well, and is thematically grounded in the mid-eighties where it belongs.

No amount of CGI, however, is going to force those costumes to coexist in the world, which not only removes them from their world, but also highlights their flaws ("Spandex" Spectre looking like a whore, Nite Owl actually being Batman, Ozymandias being a stunt double for 300, etc.)

I can't fathom how Synder got the sets right and the costuming wrong without coming to the conclusion that he has the reading aptitude of Fantasia.
Or maybe he made the movie to appeal to the masses and not the hardcore nerd elite who think the movie is only made for them.

The masses aren't into 80s period pieces so much, so some modern touches we added.
__________________
Living vicariously through myself
I like JonathanWally's secret topic races. It's silly and kind of subversive---kind of like him!-auntiehill
I Aim To Misbehave
Are you hearin me, like I'm hearin you?
JonathonWally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18 2008, 08:16 PM   #72
USS Mariner
Rear Admiral
 
USS Mariner's Avatar
 
Location: Homestate of Matt Jefferies
View USS Mariner's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to USS Mariner Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to USS Mariner
Re: Watchmen Trailer Online

JonathonWally wrote: View Post

Or maybe he made the movie to appeal to the masses and not the hardcore nerd elite who think the movie is only made for them.

The masses aren't into 80s period pieces so much, so some modern touches we added.
If that was his logic, then Zack Snyder is also blind.

The late 70's and 80's are in fashion vogue.

And if that was the case, then why the attention to detail with different sets for each fucking decade?

By no means did I expect Zack Motherfucking Snyder to be a "nerd-director" (nor do I like them.) I did expect that someone with such talent for squeezing every last penny out of a dumber-than-shit general audience would have enough sense to capitalize on pop trends to maximize profits.
__________________
Ignorance is forgivable,
Arrogance is reprehensible,
Narcissism is intolerable.

Subspace Commns Network ~ Visit Marinina!
USS Mariner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18 2008, 08:20 PM   #73
JonathonWally
Admiral
 
JonathonWally's Avatar
 
Location: It's Hard To Be Modest When You're As Good As I Am
View JonathonWally's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to JonathonWally Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to JonathonWally
Re: Watchmen Trailer Online

USS Mariner wrote: View Post

The late 70's and 80's are in fashion vogue.
Certain detailing and stylings are, not the actual clothes.


And if that was the case, then why the attention to detail with different sets for each fucking decade?
To show passage of time. And when that scene is taking place.

Also, period clothing ages a lot worse than architecture
__________________
Living vicariously through myself
I like JonathanWally's secret topic races. It's silly and kind of subversive---kind of like him!-auntiehill
I Aim To Misbehave
Are you hearin me, like I'm hearin you?
JonathonWally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18 2008, 08:23 PM   #74
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral
 
Re: Watchmen Trailer Online

USS Mariner wrote: View Post
Starship Polaris wrote: View Post
There was certainly nothing very distinctive about most of the costumes Gibbons designed - at least not those for the "modern" heroes..
The new costumes look like shit. Your point being?
My point being that the new costumes look fine. You're mistaken.

They aren't supposed to be "80's" costumes, because they were shelved in 1977 thanks to the Keene Act!
Fortunately, your specific expertise about what constitutes a 1977 superhero costume as opposed to an "80s" costume is not widely shared - because it's no actual reference to a standard at all, just an expression of personal dislike for the movie designs.

That the first "Batman" movie pretty much initiated the use of plastic or rubber costumes in superhero films is a happenstance of art design and has nothing to do with what an actual superhero might or might not wear in Moore's "alternate" 1980s.

"Silk Spectre II's" costume in the film is just a little more practical looking than the get-up from the comic; since the second Nite Owl's costume in the book was dreadful, it just makes sense that they'd keep the few aspects that were not bad - the horned cowl, for example - and fix the rest.

On more interesting subjects, I really liked the Old Nixon speaking on all those television screens.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18 2008, 09:15 PM   #75
Norrin Radd
Vice Admiral
 
Re: Watchmen Trailer Online

The costumes appear to have been reasonably adapted. I don't see too much to complain about here.
Norrin Radd is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
superheroes, watchmen

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 08:53 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.