RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,676
Members: 24,823
Currently online: 551
Newest member: voyagerman49

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old July 17 2008, 10:17 PM   #16
Allyn Gibson
Vice Admiral

View Allyn Gibson's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Allyn Gibson Send a message via Yahoo to Allyn Gibson
Re: Watchmen Trailer Online

Leroy wrote: View Post
How close to the source material are they staying? Has Alan Moore disowned this movie like he did with his other works?
The only film adaptation of his work that Moore has publicly endorsed is a fan production of his Doctor Who comic story, "Black Legacy."

Everything else, Moore has disowned.
Allyn Gibson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17 2008, 10:20 PM   #17
Norrin Radd
Vice Admiral

Moore reportedly enjoyed one of his Superman stories adapted by the JLU cartoon.
Norrin Radd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17 2008, 10:33 PM   #18
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

View Admiral_Young's Twitter Profile

I made a mistake I meant Dr. Manhanten not Ozymandis!!! Just saw the trailer and it does look outstanding! The visuals are fantastic, the costumes and CGI work look awesome. Can't wait to see this.

Ignoring the The Last Stand since 2011.
Admiral_Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17 2008, 10:38 PM   #19
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

Looks interesting. I'm probably the only person in this thread that knows zip about Watchmen, other than it's very well-regarded, so here's some common-schmoe perspective how others unfamiliar with it might react to this trailer:

1. Looks like a self-consciously hip "rock video" take on the uber-popular comic book movie genre.

2. That guy with the Batman costume is an obvious Batman ripoff. Typical Hollywood, just cashing in on what's popular.

3. "Graphic novel" gimmee a break, fancy name for a comic book. Self-important.

4. The biggest attractions for the general audience will be the familiar superhero element and the Zach Snyder connection.

For me, the fact that so many people like this story, and that an amazing range of interesting actors are in it (Jeffrey Dean Morgan, Carla Gugino, Billy Crudup, Jackie Earl Hayley, Patrick Wilson, Matt Fewer) is more than enough to sell me on it. Actors of their caliber wouldn't sign on to some empty, brainless "comic book" movie. I'm really looking forward to this.
Temis the Vorta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17 2008, 10:40 PM   #20
Kryton
Admiral

PsychoPere wrote: View Post
Has Alan Moore disowned this movie like he did with his other works?
Moore doesn't believe that Watchmen is filmable, and I'd be inclined to agree with him. He's gone so far as to arrange that all royalties owed to him instead go to Dave Gibbons, the artist, and that his name not be officially associated with the film.
I didn't think it was filmable until I saw those tremendously moving images.

Wow...real tears. Even if that's all we ever get it just adds to what we've already gotten.
Kryton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17 2008, 10:48 PM   #21
PsychoPere
Vice Admiral

Kryton wrote: View Post
PsychoPere wrote: View Post
Has Alan Moore disowned this movie like he did with his other works?
Moore doesn't believe that Watchmen is filmable, and I'd be inclined to agree with him. He's gone so far as to arrange that all royalties owed to him instead go to Dave Gibbons, the artist, and that his name not be officially associated with the film.
I didn't think it was filmable until I saw those tremendously moving images.
Wow...real tears. Even if that's all we ever get it just adds to what we've already gotten.
I didn't bother with any of the YouTube links, so I'll see it tonight at The Dark Knight. I don't have any faith in Snyder, however; I didn't care for Dawn of the Dead or 300. That said, I'd like nothing more than to be wrong; I'd absolutely love to see a worthy Watchmen film adaptation. I simply don't hold much hope that it's possible, considering how much Watchmen is about the medium of comics. My concerns are pretty much what Alan Moore has stated in the past.
PsychoPere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17 2008, 11:09 PM   #22
Emher
Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Emher Send a message via Yahoo to Emher

I've only heard bits and pieces of what it's about, but I liked 300 A LOT and Snyder seems to have to have a good directing head on his shoulders so I'm going to see this no matter what.
Old July 17 2008, 11:22 PM   #23
MikeGainer
too fat to fish

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/u...ylist=featured

Bigger version

http://www.firstshowing.net/2008/07/...tely-stunning/

Another link to the trailer.

Last edited by MikeGainer; July 18 2008 at 12:10 AM.
MikeGainer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17 2008, 11:24 PM   #24
Bob The Skutter
Service Droid

View Bob The Skutter's Twitter Profile

I'm just reading Watchmen for the first time. I'm about 5 chapters in, I keep meaning to read more, but I keep getting caught up in other things.
Old July 17 2008, 11:29 PM   #25
Timby
GIVE ME YOUR FACE

That Smashing Pumpkins tune used in the teaser is, if memory serves, "The Beginning is the End is the Beginning" ... which was written for Batman & Robin.
Timby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17 2008, 11:36 PM   #26
CaptainCanada
Admiral

Temis the Vorta wrote: View Post
3. "Graphic novel" gimmee a break, fancy name for a comic book. Self-important.
It refers to the collected editions (which are technically trade paperbacks; graphic novels are all-original material; but those two terms are usually used interchangeably); and, sure, it's meant to avoid the connotations a lot of people assign to "comic book", ie, not to be taken seriously.

As to the trailer, looks pretty good. I really like the rendering of Doctor Manhattan; the ethereal blue glow isn't what I pictured based on the comic, but it makes a lot of sense.

The Batman-esque redesign of Nite Owl works pretty well, I think.

- Homer Simpson
CaptainCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17 2008, 11:54 PM   #27
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

Yes I thought Nite-Owl's Batman-esque design works very well...the shot of the Owl ship coming out of the water was awesome. Same deal with the structure that Dr. Manhattan builds on Mars with Laurie there. Those shots are wicked.

Old July 18 2008, 12:10 AM   #28
The Old Mixer
Vice Admiral

Wow--Pretty much everything I saw was indentifiable as a scene from the comic. Still cautiously optimistic, in spite of the couple of "sculpted muscle" costumes (which will be very anachronistic if this is a period piece as it appears to be).

Temis the Vorta wrote: View Post
1. Looks like a self-consciously hip "rock video" take on the uber-popular comic book movie genre.
Well, the trailer basically is a music video, as many are these days. Doesn't mean the movie will play that way.

2. That guy with the Batman costume is an obvious Batman ripoff. Typical Hollywood, just cashing in on what's popular.
The original comics characters were deliberately derivative, but of the Charlton heroes of the '60s. Nite Owl is supposed to be the Silver Age Blue Beetle, although his look and gadgetry also gave him something of a Silver Age Batman vibe.

For me, the fact that so many people like this story, and that an amazing range of interesting actors are in it (Jeffrey Dean Morgan, Carla Gugino, Billy Crudup, Jackie Earl Hayley, Patrick Wilson, Matt Fewer) is more than enough to sell me on it. Actors of their caliber wouldn't sign on to some empty, brainless "comic book" movie. I'm really looking forward to this.
Do yourself a favor and pick up the trade paperback first. The book won't spoil you on the movie...the movie will spoil you on the book. No matter how good this film is, the best way to experience this story is in its original format.

Last edited by The Old Mixer; July 18 2008 at 12:28 AM.
The Old Mixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18 2008, 12:14 AM   #29
Darth_Pinche
Captain

What a great trailer and it looks perfect. Impressive, most impressive.
I wonder how the regular public will react, will they think it as a rip-off or a copy of other superheros since they are unfamiliar with the characters. Either way, it will be seen by many people, but if the ending if faithful, will piss off a lot of people too stupid to understand it. And that is a good thing.
Old July 18 2008, 12:25 AM   #30
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

This is making me actually consider splurging for Absolute Watchmen since I don't own any Watchmen trades yet.