Star Trek 3 Potential Director Shortlist
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Official Starships Collection Update
By: T'Bonz on Dec 15

Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old July 21 2008, 09:50 PM   #151
JonathonWally
Admiral

View JonathonWally's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to JonathonWally Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to JonathonWally
Re: Watchmen Trailer Online

Cary L. Brown wrote: View Post
Yassim wrote: View Post
What's with Dr. Manhattan being transparent? (If he grows more transparent over time, as he drifts away figuratively, that's be a cool touch... but it looks like a permanent choice.)

I SO want to see Rorschasch's face shift - will it? All the shots so far have been static.
Re: Dr. Manhattan, I like it... as long as it's "subliminal" and no so "in your face" when he's at-rest.

Look closely at the various shots of Rorschach. I haven't seen two images where the patterns on the mask were identical. So it DOES change... the question is, does it change in "real time?" I'm sure we'll see a few CGI'ed "glory shots" of this but in most of the action sequences I doubt it. Probably they've done hundreds of different air-brushed versions and will just "tweak" them around the edges in CGI when appropriate.
If you look closely in the trailer, you can see the mask moving, and not just seperate images, you can watch it morphing around.

When he's standing delivering his line, and when he's fighting the guy in the room.
Are you hearin me, like I'm hearin you?
JonathonWally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22 2008, 12:26 PM   #152
TedShatner10
Commodore

It looks like the Trashcan Man/Max Headroom has been cast as Moloch and he isn't fighting Rorschach, but being roughened up and pushed around his hovel.
TedShatner10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22 2008, 04:37 PM   #153
USS Mariner
Rear Admiral

View USS Mariner's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to USS Mariner Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to USS Mariner

Basically, when Moore wrote this, the idea was a totally new one... what if there were really "superheroes?" What effect would they have on the world we actually live in? What kind of people would they REALLY be? (Hint... no clear black and white answers, and no "make the world a better place" happy-happy answers).

Watchmen basically redefined everything in the genre. I still keep my inch-thick paperbound copy on my bookshelf next to Dickens, Conan-Doyle, Wells, Stevenson, etc.... I consider it a true classic of the same level. As has been commented on by others by now, I'm sure, this more than a little bit true... but separated by a few degrees of separation....
Preach it, brother!

I find myself re-reading it over and over again, finding new things each time. Very few books have that kind of staying power for me. Usually, once is enough, even for tomes like Harry Potter.

Subspace Commns Network ~ Visit Marinina!
USS Mariner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22 2008, 04:46 PM   #154
Turtletrekker
Vice Admiral

USS Mariner wrote: View Post

Basically, when Moore wrote this, the idea was a totally new one... what if there were really "superheroes?" What effect would they have on the world we actually live in? What kind of people would they REALLY be? (Hint... no clear black and white answers, and no "make the world a better place" happy-happy answers).

Watchmen basically redefined everything in the genre. I still keep my inch-thick paperbound copy on my bookshelf next to Dickens, Conan-Doyle, Wells, Stevenson, etc.... I consider it a true classic of the same level. As has been commented on by others by now, I'm sure, this more than a little bit true... but separated by a few degrees of separation....
Preach it, brother!

I find myself re-reading it over and over again, finding new things each time. Very few books have that kind of staying power for me. Usually, once is enough, even for tomes like Harry Potter.
Absolutely. I just re-read it after seeing the trailer, and I'm still picking up new things from it.

I haven't seen it mentioned on the board anywhere, but recently Time magazine did a listing of the top 100 english-language novels from 1923-present, and Watchmen was the only graphic novel/comic on the list.
Old July 22 2008, 05:19 PM   #155
Bad Bishop
Rear Admiral

If you see this movie, what you'll be seeing, at BEST, is a "Cliffs' Notes" version of "Watchmen." An massively invasive abridgement.

Whether or not they somehow manage to still keep the kernel of the story remains to be seen. I'm hopeful but skeptical.
This past weekend I started reading Watchmen over again. I think it's just possible to get all the key elements of the book into a 150-minute film. To get the film to the running time desired by Warner Bros., Snyder probably scrapped the story-within-a-story material. The bits about the shipwreck survivor? Gone. The Black Freighter? It'll be on a separate DVD release.

I think we'll find that Snyder's Watchmen possesses some integrity when compared to the book. According to Entertainment Weekly, previous attempts to adapt Watchmen would have gone in other directions. Maybe fans should be grateful that Snyder got the project.
Old July 22 2008, 06:23 PM   #156
Allyn Gibson
Vice Admiral

View Allyn Gibson's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Allyn Gibson Send a message via Yahoo to Allyn Gibson

Correct.

The Paul Greengrass version would have been updated to a post-9/11 timeframe. (Rumors had it that Dr. Manhattan would have plucked the hijacked planes from the sky.)

I seem to recall that the Sam Hamm script disposed of Rohrshach altogether.

I believe that Snyder was quoted as something something along the lines that if someone was going to mess up making Watchmen, they could at least mess it up while trying to make it right.

Dave Gibbons' praise for the designs carries a lot of weight for the film's ultimate authenticity, imho.
Allyn Gibson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23 2008, 12:45 PM   #157
USS Mariner
Rear Admiral

View USS Mariner's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to USS Mariner Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to USS Mariner

I'll confess. After reading a bit more into the production and history, this should come out quite nicely.

Subspace Commns Network ~ Visit Marinina!
USS Mariner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23 2008, 03:23 PM   #158
Caligula
Vice Admiral

Turtletrekker wrote: View Post
USS Mariner wrote: View Post

Preach it, brother!

Absolutely. I just re-read it after seeing the trailer, and I'm still picking up new things from it.

I haven't seen it mentioned on the board anywhere, but recently Time magazine did a listing of the top 100 english-language novels from 1923-present, and Watchmen was the only graphic novel/comic on the list.
I also find that I pick up new things from it each time that I read it. After seeing the trailer, even my sister, who is generally not THAT into comics (with the exception of X-Men) is reading it! I envy her as she experiences it for the first time....
Caligula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26 2008, 10:36 PM   #159
Yassim
Fleet Captain

Anybody got a link to the footage shown at Comicon?
Old July 26 2008, 11:08 PM   #160
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

??? What "Zach Snyder connection?" Maybe I'm out of touch with "those young people today" but I'm not aware of his being a big name, huge box-office draw. He's a virtual unknown as far as I can tell... no more or less well-known than, say, Chris Pine. Am I mistaken?
The marketing will pump up the "by the director of 300!!!!" connection. Even if people don't know his name, they know the movie. And yeah, I think he's become reasonably well known.
Temis the Vorta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27 2008, 03:58 AM   #161
Bad Bishop
Rear Admiral

Yassim wrote: View Post
Anybody got a link to the footage shown at Comicon?
Someone could have recorded it, against the wishes of the studio and Comic-Con, but I doubt that you'll find anything.

I am posting my description from the Comic-Con thread:

The greatest thing [on Friday] was the new, expanded Watchmen trailer. I hope it will be offficially released online soon. There was more footage of Nite Owl (Patrick Wilson) this time. We also got a glimpse of the Minutemen in 1940, gathering for their group photo. This is a scene that, as fans of the book know, precedes the Comedian's (Jeffrey Dean Morgan) attempted rape of Sally Jupiter, a.k.a. Silk Spectre (Carla Gugino). The trailer gives us the Comedian leering at Sally but not the dramatic incident that follows.

Other bits in the trailer include Nite Owl's airship in the Antarctic and Doctor Manhattan destroying mobsters and Vietnamese. Also in Viet Nam, the Comedian is slashed in the face by a woman (like all the other scenes, it is right out of the book). We see a white-haired President Richard Nixon. We see the ink spots changing on Rorschach's mask. And Silk Spectre II (Malin Akerman) begins removing her costume. Mercy!

Director Zack Snyder, artist Dave Gibbons and the entire principal cast appeared at the panel. Snyder says that his film will adapt some of the sidebar material from the book ("Dr. Manhattan: Super-Powers and the Superpowers," for example). Gibbons has been thrilled to be involved with the production, and he wishes that Alan Moore did not feel so negative about the film. Wilson laughed about getting fat for the role. Gugino said she found it very satisfying to play Sally, an adventurer and exhibitionist in her youth and, years later, an introspective old woman who misses the spotlight.
Old July 27 2008, 04:23 AM   #162
The Old Building & Loan
Vice Admiral

Wow...I thought for sure they'd dump the Minutemen....Just how faithful is this movie...?
Old July 27 2008, 04:36 AM   #163
Bad Bishop
Rear Admiral

The Old Mixer wrote: View Post
Wow...I thought for sure they'd dump the Minutemen....Just how faithful is this movie...?
Practically everything in the trailers can be identified as a scene from the book.

A photo of the Minutemen in Watchmen has already been released:

http://www.cinemablend.com/new/Aweso...line-8958.html

Last edited by Bad Bishop; July 27 2008 at 05:16 AM.
Bad Bishop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27 2008, 04:53 AM   #164
ancient
Vice Admiral

I watched the trailer, and as a total outsider who knows nothing and has no idea what he's looking at, these are my thoughts:

-The opening with the radiation chamber guy is pretty sweet.
-Then it changed into a music video for a while with a bunch of stuff that looked, erm, interesting.
-The glowy blue guy looked pretty sweet. Probably the only element that'll really stick in the heads of non-fans.
-And the only other parts that stuck out to me was all the use of blowtorches, and the babe, and...
-IT'S BATMAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAN!
-Whoops, nevermind.
-The machinery thing at the end was pretty neat, but I have no idea what it's supposed to be.
-That told me nothing about the plot, really, but that's ok since this is a teaser. But it is a odd mix of camp and LE DRAMA.
Old July 27 2008, 02:06 PM   #165
The Old Building & Loan
Vice Admiral

^FYI, the "radiation chamber guy" becomes the "glowy blue guy"...not really much of a spoiler, that's his origin. He's disassembled particle by particle, and somehow manages to put himself back together.

Bad Bishop wrote: View Post
Practically everything in the trailers can be identified as a scene from the book.
I know that, but...

A photo of the Minutemen in Watchmen has already been released:

http://www.cinemablend.com/new/Aweso...line-8958.html
DANG! How the hell are they squeezing all of this into one movie? In any adaptation from book to film, I expect a good amount of story condensation, plenty of omitted details.