New X-Men: Days of Future Past Trailer
By: T'Bonz on Apr 17

Nimoy to Receive Award
By: T'Bonz on Apr 17

Star Trek Special: Flesh and Stone Comic
By: T'Bonz on Apr 16

These Are The Voyages TOS Season Two Book Review
By: T'Bonz on Apr 16

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Site Forums > TrekToday News Items

TrekToday News Items Discussion of TrekToday news items

Old July 13 2008, 02:20 AM   #1
TrekToday
Rear Admiral

Cawley On 'Star Trek: Phase II's' Future

Although Star Trek: Phase II has become known for its liberal use of big-name Star Trek guest stars, in future, the focus will return to the core Star Trek characters.

As reported by TrekMovie.com, guest stars will continue to grace the Phase II episodes, but more emphasis will be on Kirk, Spock and McCoy. "Starting with 'Blood and Fire', one of the edicts was we have to be about Kirk, Spock and McCoy," said Phase II Producer James Cawley. "And this goes full bore with 'Enemy: Starfleet.' I am happy to bring it back to traditional Trek, but it makes things more difficult for me as an actor of course. We will always have guest stars; it is a hallmark, but as far as doing things like we did with Takei or Koenig, I don’t think we will go that way again."

Currently, Cawley is working on Enemy: Starfleet which guest stars Barbara Luna. Enemy: Starfleet is about a Federation starship, lost for eighteen years which reappears. However, a renegade alien named Alersa, played by Luna, is in control of the ship.

Next up for Phase II is The Child, a story written for the original Phase II of the 1970s. In The Child, Ilia (Star Trek: The Motion Picture would have been impregnated by an alien. The story was reworked for Star Trek: The Next Generation where Troi took the place of Ilia as the woman impregnated. In this latest incarnation of the story, Troi will be replaced by a guest star who will portray a Deltan.

To read more, including Phase II's move towards the Star Trek: The Motion Picture era, head to the article located here.

Old July 13 2008, 02:39 PM   #2
Pioneer
Captain

Re: Cawley On 'Star Trek: Phase II's' Future

Who is pronouncing these "edicts" and why?
Also, I didn't know that The Child was originally a Phase II idea. Interesting.
Looking to build Element #137 (Feynmanium)
Old July 13 2008, 06:29 PM   #3
TJinPgh
Captain

Pioneer wrote: View Post
I would have to assume Cawley. I suppose there is a certain amount of truth to the fact that the "main three" have just sort of... been there in the last couple of episodes. I don't think that happened all that often on TOS. Even when the story didn't entirely center on them, they were part of the story.

Why they need to bring in a guest star for The Child, I'm not really sure. I would think they could just as easily use Uhura as they did Troi.
Old July 15 2008, 07:11 PM   #4
Broccoli
Vice Admiral

TJinPgh wrote: View Post
Why they need to bring in a guest star for The Child, I'm not really sure. I would think they could just as easily use Uhura as they did Troi.
Because an out of work, TOS actor or guest star needs something to do.
Old July 15 2008, 07:12 PM   #5
Broccoli
Vice Admiral

Pioneer wrote: View Post
As was "Devil's Due."
Old July 20 2008, 07:41 PM   #6
RandyS
Vice Admiral

View RandyS's Twitter Profile

Why redo "The Child" anyway? TNG already did 20 years ago. If they want to fine, but personally I think they should stick to original stories.
Old July 21 2008, 01:50 AM   #7
Harvey
Admiral

It seems kind of redundant to redo "The Child" to me as well. TNG already did it. If they want to make any of the many other unfilmed (in any way) scripts or outlines that were written for Phase II I'd be much more interested.

Wouldn't "The Child" ultimately be focused on the guest actor instead of on Kirk, Spock. and McCoy anyway?

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.