Cumberbatch As Turing
By: T'Bonz on Jul 21

Retro Review: In the Pale Moonlight
By: Michelle on Jul 19

Trek Beach Towel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 18

Two New Starships Collection Releases
By: T'Bonz on Jul 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Site Forums > TrekToday News Items

TrekToday News Items Discussion of TrekToday news items

Old July 16 2008, 03:18 AM   #1
TrekToday
Rear Admiral

Wheaton - Beyond 'Star Trek: The Next Generation'

While in drama school after Star Trek: The Next Generation actor Wil Wheaton found out that what he really wanted to be was something other than an actor.

As reported by Comicmix, Wheaton found out that one of the things he did while in drama school was more appealing to him than acting. "I spent years in a drama program and while I was in that drama program, in addition to acting, we had entire terms where it was writing, directing, acting, writing, directing, acting," said Wheaton. "And around that time I figured out that I really enjoyed the writing. I really liked the writing. It was great."

Wheaton hadn't chosen to be an actor, it was thrust upon him. "I didn't choose to be an actor when I was a kid," he explained. "It was chosen for me and I just sort of went along with it. And I enjoyed it. I was competent at it. I took direction really well and I interacted with other actors really well, which is kind of all you need. So I was so young when I started, but this was not something that I chose for myself at all. "

That didn't mean he hadn't enjoyed being an actor. "But when I did it long enough, it became something that I felt like I was supposed to do. And I did enjoy it very much. And there was a time when I felt that I was an actor."

But writing appealed to him more than acting. "I figured out that what I really wanted to be was a writer. I mean, you hear people go to college to study one thing and then they figure out they want to do something else. I guess it was kind of like that for me."

To read more, head to the article located here.

Old July 16 2008, 04:06 AM   #2
Vezner
Lieutenant

Re: Wheaton - Beyond 'Star Trek: The Next Generation'

I'm sorry but does anyone really care about this kid? He wasn't that good in Star Trek and his character was lame. IMO he's just a has been that had just a pinch of fame in TNG and that's really all he's got left in Hollywood.

Sorry if I sound like a hater but I just don't get why so many people seem to love this dude. What's so cool about him? Honestly, I'm curious.
Old July 16 2008, 08:18 AM   #3
Plainsong
Lieutenant Commander

You don't read blogs much, do you?
Old July 16 2008, 12:58 PM   #4
Vezner
Lieutenant

Sure I do. I've even read his blog on occasion just because I see a link to it here or something. If anything, it sounds like all he's got is either his Star Trek fame to ride on, his environmental agenda, or his hatred of Bush and republicans. Is that supposed to be interesting? I could point out a thousand other blogs that talk about the same stuff. *shrugs*
Old July 16 2008, 06:32 PM   #5
Nerdius Maximus
Fleet Captain

I like Will Wheaton. He seems like a nice guy.
Old July 16 2008, 06:50 PM   #6
backstept
Rear Admiral

View backstept's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to backstept Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to backstept

Vezner wrote: View Post
Sure I do. I've even read his blog on occasion just because I see a link to it here or something. If anything, it sounds like all he's got is either his Star Trek fame to ride on, his environmental agenda, or his hatred of Bush and republicans. Is that supposed to be interesting? I could point out a thousand other blogs that talk about the same stuff. *shrugs*
where have you been?
Wil is a published author, and a damn good one at that. He has three books out, and he's certainly not a kid anymore. He's now a husband and father with two boys from his wife's previous marriage.

Of course there's the trek connection, but he's definitely surpassed his 'Wesley days' and his environmental and political agenda are his own . . . he's not the kind of guy to proselytize his point of view
Old July 16 2008, 10:54 PM   #7
Pioneer
Captain

Nerdius Maximus wrote: View Post
I like Will Wheaton. He seems like a nice guy.
I agree. Vezner is a "hater".
Looking to build Element #137 (Feynmanium)