Trek 3 To Being Shooting Next Year
By: T'Bonz on Sep 19

Trek Messenger Bag
By: T'Bonz on Sep 18

Star Trek Live In Concert In Australia
By: T'Bonz on Sep 18

IDW Publishing December Trek Comics
By: T'Bonz on Sep 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies I-X

Star Trek Movies I-X Discuss the first ten big screen outings in this forum!

Old November 25 2008, 06:58 AM   #76
cardinal biggles
THE ZEPPO

Send a message via ICQ to cardinal biggles Send a message via AIM to cardinal biggles Send a message via Yahoo to cardinal biggles
Re: Just watched Star Trek V The Final Frontier

Nebusj wrote: View Post
gomtuu20 wrote: View Post
This was not only the worst of all the Trek movies, it was one of the worst movies ever made. Of any genre.
I know that the Internet is a high-capacity means of transmitting outrage from one person to another, but, could we have the hyperbole trimmed down to merely absurdly excessive, please? It's not even in the bottom quartile of movies; if you think it is, you need to watch more movies.
At least he didn't accuse Shatner and Bennett of raping his childhood. That really would have been the cherry on the hyperbole sundae.
"For those of you playing the home game, this is what is known as a 'Prince Albert'. And I'm sure that was his last wish. 'Victoria, I'm dying. I want you to name a museum, a performance hall, and a bolt through the cock after me.'"
—Robin Williams, Live on Broadway
cardinal biggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25 2008, 07:14 AM   #77
Kronos
Admiral

FalTorPan wrote: View Post
Star Trek V is better than Insurrection and Nemesis.
I'll throw Generations and The Search For Spock in there as well.
Old November 25 2008, 08:44 AM   #78
Kirk1980
Fleet Captain

Send a message via AIM to Kirk1980 Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Kirk1980 Send a message via Yahoo to Kirk1980

It also never ceased to amaze me as I read up on it...just how much BAD timing befell that film.

Writers' Strike results in a script not handled by the writers Shatner wanted....

Teamsters' Strike results in a movie pressed for time and comfort on the part of cast and crew.

The combined forces of Indiana Jones and Batman sapping ILM's manpower and Trek getting the shit end of the stick effects-wise....

Paramount deciding that the ONLY reason TVH made tons of money was because it was funny and thus forcing Shatner to insert the dumb out of character scenes.

Paramount deciding Shatner's original idea was too 'out there' to work and dumbing it down.

Sooooooooo much went wrong.

So much.

Let's see what's out there...
Kirk1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25 2008, 03:13 PM   #79
cardinal biggles
THE ZEPPO

Send a message via ICQ to cardinal biggles Send a message via AIM to cardinal biggles Send a message via Yahoo to cardinal biggles

kirk1980 wrote: View Post
It also never ceased to amaze me as I read up on it...just how much BAD timing befell that film.

Writers' Strike results in a script not handled by the writers Shatner wanted....

Teamsters' Strike results in a movie pressed for time and comfort on the part of cast and crew.

The combined forces of Indiana Jones and Batman sapping ILM's manpower and Trek getting the shit end of the stick effects-wise....
ILM didn't work on Batman. Looking at their filmography, it would seem that they were busy with Indy 3, Ghostbusters 2, and The Abyss (and maybe also the Back to the Future sequels) at the time.

Even if ILM could only give TFF their third-stringers, they still would have been better than that schmuck Bran Ferren. Or, for that matter, what was John Dykstra doing in '88-'89? He was a known quantity from back on The Motion Picture (and whatever that film's faults, the special effects weren't one of them).

Perhaps more importantly, though, shame on Shatner for being suckered in by Ferren's "ink in the water tank" routine, which though very pretty, said nothing about his ability to deliver complicated motion-control shots in a timely manner, or if he even had the equipment to do so (he didn't). And shame on Bennett and Ralph Winter for either allowing Shatner to be suckered, or for being suckered themselves.

Paramount deciding that the ONLY reason TVH made tons of money was because it was funny and thus forcing Shatner to insert the dumb out of character scenes.

Paramount deciding Shatner's original idea was too 'out there' to work and dumbing it down.
These likely would have happened anyway, and don't really speak to the other problems with bad luck and bad timing as far as job strikes and ILM's workload.

Well, it does tie into the WGA strike — perhaps if there hadn't been a strike, Shatner could have found a better writer than David Loughery, or at least found someone (e.g. Nick Meyer) to polish Loughery's turd of a script and write some decent jokes.
"For those of you playing the home game, this is what is known as a 'Prince Albert'. And I'm sure that was his last wish. 'Victoria, I'm dying. I want you to name a museum, a performance hall, and a bolt through the cock after me.'"
—Robin Williams, Live on Broadway
cardinal biggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25 2008, 06:50 PM   #80
T'Cal
Commodore

Not the worst movie ever, but the worst of the franchise IMHO. It is painful to watch for me. Once in a while, a cable channel will air it and I'll think, "It can't be as bad as I remember," and I'll turn it on. Moments into it I'll realize, "No, it's worse!" and shut it off. I have it on DVD only because I'm a completist when it comes to Trek.

OTOH, I enjoy INS more every time I watch it. It is the most episode-like of TNG series, and that's not a bad thing at all. I loved the series and found the attempts to make TNG epic somewhat tiresome. I thoroughly enjoyed FC but GEN gets worse everytime I view it - way too many plot holes. It's not awful, just disappointing. Watching NEM some years later, I see it as not as bad as I remember it being on first viewing. It's not great by any means, but there are a handful of great moments that were handled very well. Still, there are more that were handled very poorly. Pity. I place it as 2nd worst of the entire 10 film series right below TFF. I found that film to have virtually no redeeming value to the franchise. If it were never made, Trek would be just fine, maybe better.
Old November 25 2008, 08:20 PM   #81
guardian
Commodore

Maybe the guy digging for water in the open desert should have been digging near one of those handy palm trees that actually DO need water to live.

It was a perfect strom of the worst kind for the franchise. First time director, apparently no decent screenwriter available, no decent FX house available, pressure to make it 'funny'

Couldn't agree more with that post.

And disrespect for the ship and minor characters is WORSE than ignoring them.

They had nothing for Sulu in TWOK---so be it
They had nothing for Chekov in TSFS--so be it.

Better than insulting them.
guardian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25 2008, 11:05 PM   #82
Kirk1980
Fleet Captain

Send a message via AIM to Kirk1980 Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Kirk1980 Send a message via Yahoo to Kirk1980

Well, there was literally no ILM left for TFF and Paramount was looking to maximize profit by cutting costs...maybe they all just gambled they found a diamond in the rough.

The gamble failed.

Yeah, I hope Shatner apologized about the out of character humor. Judging by his book, he thought that sucked, too.

I gotta admit, though, his idea was BIG. And it could have been amazing, intellectual and insightful had it been allowed to be closer to a real God than just some pissant alien entity.

Too bad Paramount executives think.

Let's see what's out there...
Kirk1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26 2008, 06:37 AM   #83
gomtuu20
Commander

While they are not my favorites by any stretch, Ins and Nem are vastly superior films when compared to V. While they may have been somewhat..........um...lacking, they at least weren't insultingly stupid like V was. It is just painful to watch.
And Uhura was most certainly fat.
gomtuu20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26 2008, 08:23 AM   #84
Luminus
Fleet Captain

CaptainHawk1 wrote: View Post
I've got to be one of the few fans who actually isn't bothered that much by this movie. Is it great? No. Is it watchable and relatively enjoyable? I think so. It certainly not unwatchable like that flying turd of a movie called Nemesis.

The line about losing the brother while poignant, was poorly chosen, and this:

The Romulans never sent any ship to the planet of Galactic peace.
is something that really bugs me because they had just dropped that broad off. They were in the neighborhood and I really don't buy the old cliché, "The Enterprise was the only ship in tha area" despite what Admiral Bennett says about needing Kirk's experience on this mission. The Enterprise was orbiting Earth for God's sake... that's sector 001. Were we honestly supposed to believe that the only qualified Captain in Sector 001 was Kirk? God help the Federation if that was true. The Klingons should have taken over the Federation years ago if that were true.

Other than that, it's watchable and kind of fun.

-Shawn
That explains the "Oh, Please," comment by Kirk in response to the Admiral. The Admiral just favored Kirk, that's all.

I just finished watching this movie several hours ago. You guys are wrong for criticizing the effects of a movie that was made nearly 20 years ago. Did you think the effects sucked, WHILE you were in the movie theater watching it? I think not.

Still, the movie did suck, but the character work was fantastic. Except for Sybok and the Romulan who inexplicably looked exactly like a human and therefore was pointless as a Romulan. The Cytherian(sp?) was interesting, but how in the world was the landing party able to land on what was clearly a Neutron Star?

"The Face of Boe they called me."
Luminus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26 2008, 06:01 PM   #85
Peach Wookiee
Cuddly Mod of Doom

While they are not my favorites by any stretch, Ins and Nem are vastly superior films when compared to V. While they may have been somewhat..........um...lacking, they at least weren't insultingly stupid like V was. It is just painful to watch.
I disagree. She's no twig, but she looks healthy and within height/weight proportion. She looked darn good for her age as well as having had a child.
Peach Wookiee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26 2008, 06:23 PM   #86
RobertScorpio
Pariah

Ummm...no way. NEMESIS is a wreck..a stupid ass clone of WRATH OF KHAN with crappy CGI and very bad acting from the leads...

And, as I said before, NEMESIS couldn't even beat V's box office with 2003 dollars..THAT is insulting...

THE VERDICT IS IN

Nemesis=DUMB BORING MOVIE. Killed TNG franchise..

V= NOT A GREAT FILM, NOT EVEN GOOD..but far funner than NEMESIS

Rob
Scoprio
RobertScorpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26 2008, 07:57 PM   #87
Grant
Fleet Captain

I kind of hope that was a joke..........

"Did you think the effects stunk in 1989"

YES, YES, they sucked in 1989. Do you realize how bad those effects looks on a 60 FOOT screen???

I was cringing---it was embarrassing. A dozen years after the low-budget Star Wars original, 7 years after the very competant effexts of WOK, 5 years after theeven better effects fron TSFS---they looked horrible.

I don't care about TOS' low budget roots---these were major motion pictures and well below standard FX did not fly in 1989.

They weren't attempting cutting edge, complicated, ambitious shots---simple blue screens and ship shots looked terrible. The 'God face'---a joke.

Defend the characterizations and concept and potential of the movie, but please don't go there with the FX.
Grant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26 2008, 08:24 PM   #88
Luminus
Fleet Captain

Grant wrote: View Post
I kind of hope that was a joke..........

"Did you think the effects stunk in 1989"

YES, YES, they sucked in 1989. Do you realize how bad those effects looks on a 60 FOOT screen???

I was cringing---it was embarrassing. A dozen years after the low-budget Star Wars original, 7 years after the very competant effexts of WOK, 5 years after theeven better effects fron TSFS---they looked horrible.

I don't care about TOS' low budget roots---these were major motion pictures and well below standard FX did not fly in 1989.

They weren't attempting cutting edge, complicated, ambitious shots---simple blue screens and ship shots looked terrible. The 'God face'---a joke.

Defend the characterizations and concept and potential of the movie, but please don't go there with the FX.
Oh, please. Every movie from that decade had bad effects (compared to today's standards), so what are you talking about?

"The Face of Boe they called me."
Luminus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26 2008, 08:29 PM   #89
Grant
Fleet Captain

Now I KNOW you're joking!!

You had me going there............
Grant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26 2008, 08:55 PM   #90
Luminus
Fleet Captain