Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

IDW Publishing March 2015 Comics
By: T'Bonz on Dec 17

Paramount Star Trek 3 Expectations
By: T'Bonz on Dec 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies I-X

Star Trek Movies I-X Discuss the first ten big screen outings in this forum!

Old November 19 2008, 05:33 PM   #1
tranya
Commander

View tranya's Twitter Profile
Planet of the Titans

Has anyone ever seen the actual treatment for this film? Has anyone ever put a PDF up anywhere?
Old November 19 2008, 06:01 PM   #2
jongredic
Fleet Captain

Re: Planet of the Titans

From what I understand, there's very little information available about this film, least of all scripts and story drafts.

I did see this link in another thread, which has pretty much everything concerning Planet of the Titans: http://www.3p2c.com/couldashoulda.html. The guy who wrote it specifcally talks about how much trouble he's had hunting down any kind of official documentation of the film.

(apologies to the original poster of the link, I can't find where I saw it!)
Old November 19 2008, 06:34 PM   #3
tranya
Commander

View tranya's Twitter Profile

Great, thanks!
Old November 19 2008, 06:55 PM   #4
Ottens
Lieutenant Commander

I've compiled a page at my own site about the project along with lots of production artwork that was done mostly by Ken Adams and Ralph McQuarrie.
Old November 19 2008, 10:20 PM   #5
MauriceNavidad
Vice Admiral

View MauriceNavidad's Twitter Profile

jongredic wrote: View Post
I did see this link in another thread, which has pretty much everything concerning Planet of the Titans
That'd be this thread that I started.

Ottens wrote: View Post
I've compiled a page at my own site about the project along with lots of production artwork that was done mostly by Ken Adams and Ralph McQuarrie.
I notice you updated it and corrected some of the misattributions that I've seen.
MauriceNavidad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 19 2008, 10:24 PM   #6
Ottens
Lieutenant Commander

Indeed! Thanks for pointing some things out that I'd previously gotten wrong!
Old November 20 2008, 12:26 AM   #7
MauriceNavidad
Vice Admiral

Indeed! Thanks for pointing some things out that I'd previously gotten wrong!
My pleasure. I think you and I share an interest in setting the record straight as opposed to repeating urban myths!

That said, the fact that your section on designing the Phase II Enterprise also featires images of the Adam/McQuarrie design doesn't help divide those often confused topics, and I encourage your disentangling them.
Old November 20 2008, 01:46 PM   #8
Ottens
Lieutenant Commander

Well, I talk a bit about those designs in that particular article, that's why I have those images there. Besides people tend to associate them with "Phase II", and I like to make it clear that they weren't made for "Phase II" at all! (I hope that's clear enough from the article )
Old November 20 2008, 08:52 PM   #9
MauriceNavidad
Vice Admiral

Well, I talk a bit about those designs in that particular article, that's why I have those images there. Besides people tend to associate them with "Phase II", and I like to make it clear that they weren't made for "Phase II" at all! (I hope that's clear enough from the article )
But WHY discuss them there? You have Planet of the Titans discussed under the Phase II section when it really should be a different "First attempts" topic or something like that. Putting it under a Phase II umbrella makes it seemed related, when it's not.

Last edited by MauriceNavidad; November 21 2008 at 02:21 AM.
Old November 21 2008, 04:28 PM   #10
Ottens
Lieutenant Commander

Where else should I put the "Planet of the Titans" page? I'm can hardly create a whole separate section for just one article. That'd be a waste of space in my navigation bar. Besides, I don't think it would actually fit.

But let's not hijack this thread even more than we already have. I'd be happy to receive whatever suggestions you have for the site by email though!
Old November 23 2008, 06:08 AM   #11
The_Beef
Lieutenant Commander

Wow. It's fascinating to see the direction it could have all gone. I'm definitely glad it didn't, because it sounds like the franchise would have been finished with it, but it's still interesting.

Seeing that model of the Enterprise-refit has gotten me wondering. What would be the fan reaction if they were forced to accept a change that drastic? I mean, that ship is radically different from what we know. How on earth could they explain that as a refit? Seeing the reaction to the new model for Star Trek XI, I can't begin to imagine how harsh the reaction would have been to that.
The_Beef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23 2008, 04:30 PM   #12
trevanian
Rear Admiral

The_Beef wrote: View Post
Wow. It's fascinating to see the direction it could have all gone. I'm definitely glad it didn't, because it sounds like the franchise would have been finished with it, but it's still interesting.

Seeing that model of the Enterprise-refit has gotten me wondering. What would be the fan reaction if they were forced to accept a change that drastic? I mean, that ship is radically different from what we know. How on earth could they explain that as a refit? Seeing the reaction to the new model for Star Trek XI, I can't begin to imagine how harsh the reaction would have been to that.
Not as much history with the design at that point, so I think it would have been okay, especially if the modelmakers took it back toward Adam's design and away from McQ's SWishness.

The big dif is in the interior, where the saucer was actually OPEN, so you could see down 10 decks through from the bridge. Kind of a cross between a french airport and MOONRAKER's space station, with diagnoal habittrails linking areas.
trevanian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23 2008, 10:03 PM   #13
MauriceNavidad
Vice Admiral

trevanian wrote: View Post
Not as much history with the design at that point, so I think it would have been okay, especially if the modelmakers took it back toward Adam's design and away from McQ's SWishness.
Of the McQuarrie paintings only one seem to portray the big delta XB-70 shape, so I think that was just a one off. The other paintings seem to show a narrowed delta closer to Adam's sketches, so I think that's more likely what we'd have gotten had the film moved forward.
The big dif is in the interior, where the saucer was actually OPEN, so you could see down 10 decks through from the bridge. Kind of a cross between a french airport and MOONRAKER's space station, with diagnoal habittrails linking areas.
Which seems to me that there wasn't a lot of concern with design continuity or trying to explain how the TV series ship morphed into this new design. My guess is that the Enterprise seen at the start of the story pre-refit wouldn't have looked like the TOS ship anyway.
Old November 24 2008, 04:34 AM   #14
RAMA
Vice Admiral

I think there was a much more detailed synopsis in the unofficial Lost Years book.

http://memory-alpha.org/en/wiki/Trek:_The_Lost_Years

RAMA
Old November 24 2008, 07:40 PM   #15
Ryan Thomas Riddle
Rear Admiral

View Ryan Thomas Riddle's Twitter Profile

DS9Sega wrote: View Post
My guess is that the Enterprise seen at the start of the story pre-refit wouldn't have looked like the TOS ship anyway.
Now that might've caused a few ruffled feathers in the 1970s, much like the Abrams movie is doing today.