TV Alert: Pine On Tonight Show
By: T'Bonz on Dec 22

Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old July 23 2008, 04:55 PM   #301
Agent Richard07
Retired

Re: The Joker must go on...

I think anyone could play the Joker. Even the guy who did the YouTube parody of the movie's trailer did a great job. I think the hype is being misdirected at Ledger when it's really the Joker as a character that is making such an impression on people.

That said, I still don't want to see the Joker recast. I can't stand recasting. It ruins movies for me. He doesn't need to be in another movie anyway. His story was wrapped up nicely in The Dark Knight and as mentioned above, there are a lot of good villains to explore.
Agent Richard07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23 2008, 05:00 PM   #302
Agent Richard07
Retired

RobertScorpio wrote: View Post
It would have been better had they edited the movie for him to die. But with his being alive out there it will always be hanging there....
I just accept that he's probably sitting in a cell at Arkham Asylum.
Agent Richard07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23 2008, 05:20 PM   #303
davejames
Vice Admiral

RobertScorpio wrote: View Post
Yes, I know, Riddler and Penguine are out there too, but to me Joker and Ra's al Ghul were Batman's more 'serious' threats. The others were just comical (remember Jim carrey)..
Well up until this movie, The Joker always came across as a pretty comical, lightweight villain too. At least to me. I NEVER bought him as a threat on BTAS, and he wasn't especially dark or scary in the comics either (at least back when I was reading them in the 70s and 80s). Frankly I never understood why fans liked him so much.

With TDK, Nolan finally gave us a Joker who could be a serious and legitimate threat to Batman. I'm sure he could do the same thing with Riddler and Penguin if he wanted to.
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24 2008, 02:34 AM   #304
Docbrown777
Rear Admiral

Bring the Joker back

I 110% agree that Heath Ledger did a great/fantastic/excellent job as the Joker and it sucks that he is now dead.

However, I love the character of the Joker so much and especially the way he was portrayed in The Dark Knight that I am almost demanding that the bring him back in the next movie. Audition a million people if you have to but I really really really want more Joker. He's such a great nemesis for Batman. In the next movie they can't just say, "oh he's locked up" and leave it at that.

They've got to bring the character back. They've just got to.

Thoughts?
Old July 24 2008, 02:37 AM   #305
JacksonArcher
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to JacksonArcher
Re: Bring the Joker back

Always leave the audience wanting more. I think it's appropriate that you leave the theater wanting more Joker. That's the way it should be (and no, I don't think Joker should be in the next movie, nor do I think he will).
Old July 24 2008, 02:41 AM   #306
Samurai8472
Vice Admiral

nx1701g wrote: View Post

Ledger did such a good job with the Joker that I don't really think anyone could live up to what he did with the character. At least not right away.
I think Johnny depp can. I could see hints of depp in the "I hated my father/ penthouse break in"

The Dark Knight Crushes $200 Million Record!
Warner Bros. Pictures' The Dark Knight broke another record on Tuesday becoming the fastest ever to cross the $200 million mark in five days! The previous record of eight days was held by three films - Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest, Spider-Man 2 and Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith.

Christopher Nolan's Batman Begins follow-up added $20.87 million on Tuesday to push its massive total to $203.8 million. That puts it at #84 already on the all-time domestic blockbuster list after just five days.

Right now, the only number we have for international markets is $41.3 million but that will start going up significantly as the movie is opening in many countries Thursday and Friday as well as into August.

So let's recap - widest release (4,366 theaters), biggest opening weekend ($158.4M), biggest July opener ($158.4M), biggest PG-13 rated opening ($158.4M), biggest single day ($67.2M), biggest opening day ($67.2M), biggest Friday ($67.2M), biggest Sunday ($43.6M) and fastest to $200M in five days ($203.8M).
http://www.superherohype.com/news/ba...ws.php?id=7524
Samurai8472 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24 2008, 02:46 AM   #307
JacksonArcher
Vice Admiral

That is an astonishing achievement. Christopher Nolan is at the best possible position he could be right now in his career. He just made the biggest blockbuster around, the film is receiving amazingly fantastic reviews, and is generally very well liked by fans and moviegoers. It is almost similar to Bryan Singer's position when X2 came out but on a much, much bigger scale.

I think it is assured that Nolan is amongst the A-List in Hollywood right now, stacked right aside such talents as Steven Spielberg, Martin Scorsese, Michael Mann, et al. I'm sure whatever he does next is going to grab a lot of people's attention.
Old July 24 2008, 02:56 AM   #308
JacksonArcher
Vice Admiral

Also, take this for what it is worth, but apparently Aaron Eckhart would "love" to star in another Batman film.

http://www.imdb.com/news/ni0265713/

Let the "Two-Face is not really dead" speculation begin.
Old July 24 2008, 02:56 AM   #309
Caligula
Vice Admiral

Samurai8472 wrote: View Post
The Dark Knight Crushes $200 Million Record!
Warner Bros. Pictures' The Dark Knight broke another record on Tuesday becoming the fastest ever to cross the $200 million mark in five days! The previous record of eight days was held by three films - Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest, Spider-Man 2 and Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith.

Christopher Nolan's Batman Begins follow-up added $20.87 million on Tuesday to push its massive total to $203.8 million. That puts it at #84 already on the all-time domestic blockbuster list after just five days.

Right now, the only number we have for international markets is $41.3 million but that will start going up significantly as the movie is opening in many countries Thursday and Friday as well as into August.

So let's recap - widest release (4,366 theaters), biggest opening weekend ($158.4M), biggest July opener ($158.4M), biggest PG-13 rated opening ($158.4M), biggest single day ($67.2M), biggest opening day ($67.2M), biggest Friday ($67.2M), biggest Sunday ($43.6M) and fastest to $200M in five days ($203.8M).
http://www.superherohype.com/news/ba...ws.php?id=7524
Holy crap! I hope this keeps up. Look out, Titanic (premature, I know)!
Caligula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24 2008, 03:07 AM   #310
Samurai8472
Vice Admiral

I'm lazy so take me back to 1997 and remind me how well Titanic did.

first day sales
weekend sales

JacksonArcher wrote: View Post

Let the "Two-Face is not really dead" speculation begin.
I saw a skeleton as he lept for the symbiote
Samurai8472 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24 2008, 03:15 AM   #311
Caligula
Vice Admiral

first day sales
weekend sales
Titanic's opening weekend sales ($28,638,131 in 1997 U.S. dollars) were NOWHERE NEAR what The Dark Knight got. However, it's what Titanic ended up with ($600,788,188 domestically; $1,242,091,767 overseas) that makes it near impossible to top.
Caligula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24 2008, 03:16 AM   #312
Hanukkah Solo
Admiral

I'd love for Eckhart to star in another Batman movie, too. He was fantastic. And while I think Dent really did die in TDK, it can easily be retconned that he was just being kept hidden in Arkham.

As for the Joker... The Joker can, and will, be recast. But not in this particular Batman franchise. Give it another fifteen years or so.
Hanukkah Solo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24 2008, 03:28 AM   #313
OdoWanKenobi
Ring Slinger

Eckhart was brilliant in his role. He would certainly be getting more props for it if it weren't for Heath Ledger. I would love to see him return for another film. I think that Two-Face's fate is left ambiguous enough that he could be brought back.

And for anyone interested in seeing more of Eckhart, may I suggest the flim "Thank You For Smoking." It's a witty satire, and is clearly the role that won him to chance to play Harvey Dent.
Old July 24 2008, 03:37 AM   #314
Aragorn
Admiral

I could see Harvey being stashed away at some mental institute in a futile attempt to rehabilitate him. Hell, it could be Gordon's idea and Batman didn't even know about it, which would put them at odds. And there's a serial killer out there on the loose (Mad Hatter? Poison Ivy?) that Harvey may have intimate knowledge of, so Gordon and Havey have a Hannibal-Clarise type of relationship (it can't be Batman playing Q&A with Harvey since he's still a fugitive). And then Harvey escapes, maybe kills Mad Hatter himself.
Aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24 2008, 03:57 AM   #315
Ugly Sweater
Trekker4747

Caligula wrote: View Post

first day sales
weekend sales
Titanic's opening weekend sales ($28,638,131 in 1997 U.S. dollars) were NOWHERE NEAR what The Dark Knight got. However, it's what Titanic ended up with ($600,788,188 domestically; $1,242,091,767 overseas) that makes it near impossible to top.
Titanic was also in the $30m+ week earners for two or three months in a row- another record.