February IDW Publishing Trek Comics
By: T'Bonz on Nov 17

Retro Review: The Siege of AR-558
By: Michelle on Nov 15

Trevco Full Bleed Uniform T-Shirts
By: T'Bonz on Nov 14

Wheaton Buys Wesley Crusher Hoodie
By: T'Bonz on Nov 14

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old July 21 2008, 02:35 AM   #256
Kaijufan
Rear Admiral

Re: The Dark Knight Megathread (USE THIS! Love, the mods)

I also doubt the X-Files will do better then the Dark Knight next weekend, but then again I doubt it needs to, I'm sure the X-Files has a much smaller budget then the Dark Knight.

Kaijufan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21 2008, 02:41 AM   #257
Harvey
Admiral

The X-Files, according to rumor, had a budget in the 30-50 million dollar range. The Dark Knight cost 180 million dollars, which puts it 3-6 times as expensive. And let's not forget the cost of marketing, which I'd estimate as being considerably greater in quantity for Batman than it has been for the X-Files.

I wouldn't be surprised if they both end up being equally profitable, although the Dark Knight is going to be a powerhouse for the rest of the month.

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21 2008, 04:52 AM   #258
Trekker4747
Trekker4747

Broccoli wrote: View Post
Trekker4747 wrote: View Post
Minus marketing the movie paid for itself in three days. Not too shabby. And it should remain real strong in the BO. Mulder and Scully haven't a chance to de-throne TDK.
I think someone said something similar about three prostitutes and their mom dethroning Indy, yet they did. So, you never know.

However, you're probably right.
Three prostitutes and their mom...

Old July 21 2008, 05:12 AM   #259
David cgc
Vice Admiral

^ "Sex and the City"
Old July 21 2008, 01:48 PM   #260
Frontier
Vice Admiral

View Frontier's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Frontier

Did anyone else catch this? At about 2 hours 9 minutes into the film, right after the ferry civilian remarks that "no one wants to get their hands dirty" and we go back to the fight between Bats and the Joker, Joker says, "Of all the old familair places..."

What of it, right?

Well, as far as I can tell, the line is from a song as I'm sure many of you know.

What really gets me is that the song is titled "I'll be seeing you"...

How prophetic to have Heath as the Joker say that, in hindsight.

Frontier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21 2008, 02:51 PM   #261
Broccoli
Vice Admiral

Too much Batman love going on. He needs to be taken down a peg.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=9JxPoZVQ108

Hirogen Alpha wrote: View Post
The X-Files, according to rumor, had a budget in the 30-50 million dollar range. The Dark Knight cost 180 million dollars, which puts it 3-6 times as expensive. And let's not forget the cost of marketing, which I'd estimate as being considerably greater in quantity for Batman than it has been for the X-Files.

I wouldn't be surprised if they both end up being equally profitable, although the Dark Knight is going to be a powerhouse for the rest of the month.
Oh, I'm not saying the film won't be profitable. I'm just saying it won't dominate the way Dark Knight is.

Last edited by Team Broccoli; July 21 2008 at 03:01 PM.
Broccoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21 2008, 05:41 PM   #262
OdoWanKenobi
Ring Slinger

What about Step Brothers? Nobody can deny that Will Ferrel has a certain popularity.
Old July 21 2008, 06:14 PM   #263
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral

JacksonArcher wrote: View Post
I've already seen it twice, once in regular theaters and once in IMAX. I am very tempted to see it a third time before the weekend is over.
I've also seen it like this.
I honestly can't say if I'll catch a third. I'm on the fence and if the right company wants to I'll go.
However this isn't the type movie demanding I go back. What action scenes are good on the big screen aren't that spectactular compared to other action fare. Its the acting that sells this movie and for another $10 I could wait for that on DVD come the holidays.
Captain Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21 2008, 06:17 PM   #264
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral

Kaijufan wrote: View Post
I also doubt the X-Files will do better then the Dark Knight next weekend, but then again I doubt it needs to, I'm sure the X-Files has a much smaller budget then the Dark Knight.
True X-Files will hope for a 2nd place finish and its budget is reported in the $35-40m range. A successful summer run for it would be easily $60-75m in total domestic take.
Captain Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21 2008, 06:47 PM   #265
Neroon
Mod of balance

I've already seen it twice, once in regular theaters and once in IMAX. I am very tempted to see it a third time before the weekend is over.
In your estimation, does the IMAX experience have an edge over the regular version, at least enough to warrant the extra cost?
Old July 21 2008, 06:48 PM   #266
Trekker4747
Trekker4747

Neroon wrote: View Post
In your estimation, does the IMAX experience have an edge over the regular version, at least enough to warrant the extra cost?
That's what I want to know. I want to see it in IMAX but I'm not sure it is worth it. I saw S:R in IMAX and I wasn't impressed.

Frankly, it made me think someone was playing with colorforms on the lenses of my (IMAX) glasses.
Old July 21 2008, 06:53 PM   #267
Agent Richard07
Retired

I'm not big on IMAX or seeing movies twice in the theatre, but I'm actually thinking about catching it on IMAX as well.
Agent Richard07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21 2008, 07:47 PM   #268
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

View Admiral_Young's Twitter Profile

When I'm able to see the movie...in another month I'm hoping to see the movie at the IMAX theatre. Remember that Dark Knight was filmed using IMAX cameras in order to capture the best possible picture and they even had to improve the technology because what they were using wasn't quite right for some scenes. I heard a review on the radio that said that the IMAX experience was surpremly awesome and well worth the extra cost and the guy (Terry David Mulligan) said it translated well onto the normal theatre screens. He was blown away by it.

Ignoring the The Last Stand since 2011.
Admiral_Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21 2008, 08:20 PM   #269
Broccoli
Vice Admiral

The IMAX picture was pretty good, clear, and crisp, especially the scenes shot in IMAX. You don't get glasses to watch the film as you don't need them. You only needed them with SR because some of the film was in 3D.

As for TDK, while the picture looked good, there was a LOT going on in each shot, especially the fight and action sequences. Like, Batman can be punching someone, but because it is so big, you might be looking at a different part of the screen when he does it. It can be a lot to take in.

This film probably doesn't "need" the IMAX as required viewing, however, I am glad that I did see it in IMAX, even if I was disappointed in the final product.
Old July 22 2008, 12:19 AM   #270
JacksonArcher
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to JacksonArcher

Neroon wrote: View Post
Absolutely. The entire film is not in the IMAX format -- many sequences, however, are -- but when the first frame opens, you'll be stunned. When I saw it, the entire audience started clapping and a bunch of my friends, including people I was sitting with, just started going "Wow".

The detail, the quality, it's incredibly crisp. I've seen the film three times now -- two in regular, one in IMAX -- and the viewing in IMAX was such an experience that I want to see it in that format again before it leaves theaters. It's just that awesome.