Red Shirt Diaries Episode Three
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Made Out Of Mudd Photonovel

Takei Has Growth Removed

Retro Review: Tears of the Prophets
By: Michelle on Sep 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old July 15 2008, 06:53 PM   #136
Agent Richard07
Admiral

Re: The Dark Knight Megathread (USE THIS! Love, the mods)

^ I have no desire to see it on IMAX either and that might be the reason.
Agent Richard07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15 2008, 06:56 PM   #137
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral

davejames wrote: View Post
Am I the only one NOT dying to see this in IMAX? I think the format is great for nature documentaries and such. But any time I try to watch a traditional movie in IMAX (like AOTC or SR) I've found it almost impossible to follow all the frenetic action happening on screen.

Hell, Nolan's action scenes are probably going to be hard to follow on a standard size screen, let alone on a gigantic IMAX screen.
From what I've read Nolan shot some sequences(about 20+min worth) specifically with the IMAX cameras, this is one of those reason that notched the budget higher, so that when you see it on a standard screen the ratio is going to be slightly off. However, when you see it on the IMAX its supposodly worth it.
Captain Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15 2008, 07:11 PM   #138
davejames
Vice Admiral

My understanding was that the ratio only changed during the Imax version. During the "Imax" scenes the image fits the entire screen, and for the rest of the movie it's cropped.

I can't imagine Nolan would want the standard version-- the one that's gonna end up on DVD-- to change ratios like that...
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15 2008, 07:34 PM   #139
Aragorn
Admiral

Superman wrote: View Post
Hmm.

Quint's review at AICN states that TDK is not really The Batman's movie, and says it belongs to more to Dent and the Joker.

That's disappointing to hear. I had enough villain-centric films in the last Batman franchise.

I will remain open-minded, of course...

\S/
Another review said the main players all have about the same amount of screen time. Even if this movie is less Bruce Wayne/Batman-centric, everything that happens is still a result of his actions.
Aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15 2008, 07:34 PM   #140
T'Pers0n
Fleet Captain

Getting ready right now to make a 60 mile trip to see it in IMAX tonight. Very pumped.

Never seen anything on an IMAX and don't know if I'll like the screen. So, planning to also see it on the traditional midnight first showing later in the week.

Last edited by T'Pers0n; July 15 2008 at 07:55 PM.
T'Pers0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15 2008, 08:57 PM   #141
Lapis Exilis
Rear Admiral

Here's a little real Hollywood moment.

So, five minutes ago I'm eating lunch on Wilshire Blvd, quietly reading my copy of The Enchantress of Florence (Salman Rusdie - brilliant, I can't recommend it enough). Two guys sit down next to me and one begins to pitch to the other one a project based on 5 pilots Gene Roddenberry wrote that were filmed in the 1970s. My ears perk up of course (bear with me, this is TDK related). I'm amused to be listening to this guy going on about how this is the next hot thing and he says, "The Star Trek franchise is about to be reinvigorated just like the Batman franchise. Oh, saw Dark Knight last night."

"The hype does not begin to do it justice. This is the best adaptation of a comic book property ever to hit the screen, and I'm including Dick Donner's Superman in that." He was reviewing the film in detail and after a minute or two I left because I knew he was going to drop a spoiler any second.

So that's the word from the LA streets, my friends.
Old July 15 2008, 09:14 PM   #142
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral

^^^
Well crap what was the Gene Roddenberry rejected pilots idea he had. I'm curious about that now!
Old July 15 2008, 09:24 PM   #143
TheBrew
Vice Admiral

Lapis Exilis wrote: View Post
Here's a little real Hollywood moment.

So, five minutes ago I'm eating lunch on Wilshire Blvd, quietly reading my copy of The Enchantress of Florence (Salman Rusdie - brilliant, I can't recommend it enough). Two guys sit down next to me and one begins to pitch to the other one a project based on 5 pilots Gene Roddenberry wrote that were filmed in the 1970s. My ears perk up of course (bear with me, this is TDK related). I'm amused to be listening to this guy going on about how this is the next hot thing and he says, "The Star Trek franchise is about to be reinvigorated just like the Batman franchise. Oh, saw Dark Knight last night."

"The hype does not begin to do it justice. This is the best adaptation of a comic book property ever to hit the screen, and I'm including Dick Donner's Superman in that." He was reviewing the film in detail and after a minute or two I left because I knew he was going to drop a spoiler any second.

So that's the word from the LA streets, my friends.
That's good news for both Batman and Star Trek. What do we call STII then? "The Grey Lady?"
For one of us could drink it all alone. Damn near.
TheBrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15 2008, 09:40 PM   #144
Lapis Exilis
Rear Admiral

Eh, I'm not sure the guy actually knew anything about Trek 11 - he was trying to sell the other man on getting involved in these Roddenberrry projects after all. so he was bound to sound like he was sure Trek was on the edge of a Renaissance. But I was a little stunned to hear him say that the hype didn't do TDK justice. I mean, it's a lot of hype - and this was from a guy who obviously was looking at things from a movie perspective, not a fan's perspective.
Old July 15 2008, 09:51 PM   #145
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral

Yet another TDK piece from EW.
But in The Dark Knight, Christopher Nolan's ominously labyrinthine and exciting sequel to Batman Begins, good and evil aren't just separate forces — at times, they're a whisper away from each other — and the movie exudes a predatory glamour that makes the comic-book films that have come before it look all the more like kid stuff. The Dark Knight is jammed with thorny underworld conspiracies, obscenely oversize tank-cars, and action scenes that teeter madly out of control, all blanketed by the psycho-anarchic musings of a villain so warped he turns crime into a contest of Can you top this?
Old July 15 2008, 10:07 PM   #146
Emher
Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Emher Send a message via Yahoo to Emher

davejames wrote: View Post
Am I the only one NOT dying to see this in IMAX? I think the format is great for nature documentaries and such. But any time I try to watch a traditional movie in IMAX (like AOTC or SR) I've found it almost impossible to follow all the frenetic action happening on screen.

Hell, Nolan's action scenes are probably going to be hard to follow on a standard size screen, let alone on a gigantic IMAX screen.
I haven't seen a feature film in IMAX since we only have one IMAX theater in Sweden, and it's run a by a museum who only shows documentaries...that are ALL dubbed into Swedish. Yes, they're idiots.

Anyways I don't really think I'd make a habit out of seeing films in IMAX even if I could. I'm a very traditonal guy when it comes to cinema. Just give me a big ol screen, prefferable in 2.35:1, a nice seat and some popcorn and I'm ready to go! Oh and some DTS sound with that

But yeah Nolan is pretty bad at shooting action...I'm hoping he's improved with this movie.
Old July 15 2008, 10:35 PM   #147
Agent Richard07
Admiral

Here are a some interviews...

Gary Oldman on The View (July 14, 2008)
Michael Caine and Morgan Freeman on The View, Part 1 (July 15, 2008)
Michael Caine and Morgan Freeman on The View, Part 2 (July 15, 2008)
Agent Richard07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15 2008, 11:01 PM   #148
mr.peany
Fleet Captain

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to mr.peany

I see this in all its wonderful IMAX glory in less than 2 hours. Better live up to stupidly high expectations...
http://unoland.myminicity.com/
mr.peany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15 2008, 11:08 PM   #149
Frontier
Vice Admiral

View Frontier's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Frontier

*Nearing point of implosion from excitement!!!!!*

54 hours to go for me!!!

Frontier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15 2008, 11:11 PM   #150
Aragorn
Admiral

I don't know what you guys are wetting yourself over. I've already seen The Caped Crusader, the 2011 third installment of the Nolan trilogy starring Aaron Eckhart as Two-Face, Johnny Depp as Riddler and James Woods as Rupert Thorne.
Aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote