Horse 1, Shatner 0
By: T'Bonz on Jul 28

Drexler TV Alert
By: T'Bonz on Jul 26

Retro Review: His Way
By: Michelle on Jul 26

MicroWarriors Releases Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Jul 25

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

View Poll Results: Grade the movie...
Excellent 25 42.37%
Above Average 21 35.59%
Average 6 10.17%
Below Average 6 10.17%
Poor 1 1.69%
Voters: 59. You may not vote on this poll

Old July 11 2008, 11:49 PM   #46
DarKush
Rear Admiral

Re: Hellboy II: The Golden Army - Grading & Discussion

I think HB2 was average. It had a good cast, good makeup, great FX, but the ending was too anti-climatic. They built up the Golden Army and then didn't do anything with them. I also thought Nuada was a run-of-the-mill villian, convincingly played, but nothing special.

I saw parallels between HB2 and Blade 2, and this movie had energy, but not the manic energy of that movie, and I believe the same actor that played Nuada also played Nomak in Blade 2. In B2 I really believed his badassedness, even though he had more elaborate martial arts scenes in HB2 he didn't seem all that menacing. There was also the brother sister angle, the noble son opposing his father, an unstoppable army of a sorts, etc.

Not a bad time at the theater, but nothing that had me really excited to see it again, or to watch HB3, even though there is a great set up for that with Liz being pregnant.
DarKush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12 2008, 12:16 AM   #47
JD
Admiral

I went with an excellent. I thought everything about the movie was very well done, the characters were fun, the humor was well done, the special effects were awsome, and it had some of the best creature designs I have ever seen. I see some people are complaining about the plot, and the villain but I really didn't think they were that bad. Yeah, I admit there really wasn't alot of depth given to Nuada, but IMO that really isn't that big of a deal because this movie is really more about the BPRD characters than it is about Nuada, I really feel that he's really just there to give them a reason to be doing the things they do, and not so much to be any kind of a huge personal threat to them. On the other hand I do have to agree about the Golden Army though, for something that was built up through the whole movie they really weren't as impressive as I was expecting. Don't get me wrong, they were cool, I just don't think they really lived up to the hype.
Old July 12 2008, 01:50 AM   #48
Superman
Fleet Captain

I can't believe some folks are giving this flick a hard time.

Any English majors in here? Who are familiar with the term "close reading?"

Wherein you closely read a work to mine from it meanings not evident at first?

I think some of you are giving HBII a close reading. I'm not saying it doesn't have depth, it certainly does, and it speaks to those depths well.

But my God, it's the kind of movie I wish I'd seen more of as a kid, the kind of movie we all dreamed up while mixing action figures from disparate lines with our family pets or other strange items around the house. It's a lush landscape of imagination and downright pure childlike fun.

Not childish fun. It's not Spy Kids or some shit.

It's a damned classic superhero-monster-horror-fantasy-action-romance-comedy-drama flick.

How the fuck often do you see those, anyway?

\S/
Superman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12 2008, 01:51 AM   #49
Luke Lightsaber
Captain

Uh, pretty much every weekend.
Luke Lightsaber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12 2008, 02:01 AM   #50
JacksonArcher
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to JacksonArcher

Superman wrote: View Post
I can't believe some folks are giving this flick a hard time.
Wow. Opinions that differ from yours. Shocking, isn't it?
Old July 12 2008, 02:46 AM   #51
DarthPipes
Rear Admiral

I voted Excellent. Just got back from it and I really enjoyed it. It was even better than the first movie. Visually stunning and imaginative (particularly the Troll Market), with a lot of humor in it.

Pherlman was terrific as Hellboy once again. As much as I liked David Hyde Pierce's voice as Abe, I'm glad they let Doug Jones do the honors this time. Abe is just as interesting a character as HB and Jones did good here. Tambor's always funny and MacFarlene was a riot as Krauss. I like the way Selma Blair looks in this film. Also have to give props to Luke Goss as Prince Nuada. For a villain, he had quite a bit of dimension and comes across as a compelling character.

Nice way to return John Hurt's character in the beginning but good God, Hellboy as a kid was easily the most distrubing creature in the entire movie. Just too damn creepy. Otherwise, great flick!
DarthPipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12 2008, 02:51 AM   #52
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral

I really like Abe too. Is his different voice jarring? I thought DHP's work in the first movie was pretty good and saw little need to change it.
Old July 12 2008, 03:53 AM   #53
DarthPipes
Rear Admiral

Not at all. I thought it fit nicely with Pierce's voice from the first one.
Old July 12 2008, 05:16 AM   #54
Goji
Rear Admiral

I loved it. One of the most pleasurable experiences I've ever had in a theater. I don't have too much to say about it, though I will note that the entire film is visually stunning. I also liked how it was able to pull off fantasy without too much of your stock dragons, elves and warlocks. That is to say, everything looked distinct and interesting.

The only thing I didn't like was the use of Manning. It seemed that at the end of the last movie, he and Hellboy had at least smoothed over their differences, but at the start of this one they hate each other more than ever. I'm not saying it's not possible that their bonding could have been just temporary, but I probably would have preferred it if it hadn't been ignored.

There also seemed to be a number of hints dropped about a further sequel. I really, really, really hope this movie makes enough money to justify a Hellboy III, even if it takes another four or five years to get done.

Last edited by Goji; July 12 2008 at 05:57 AM.
Goji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12 2008, 05:36 AM   #55
grabmygoblin
Commodore

Above Average- awesome movie, well worth the price of the ticket, but hardly anything staggeringly fantastic. I kind of realized how the movie would end within the first 15 minutes... but still badass!
Old July 12 2008, 05:47 AM   #56
DarthPipes
Rear Admiral

Yeah, I thought him and Manning would have been on better terms but they're back at square one in this film.

About a possible third movie, del Toro has said in the past that he would love to have Hellboy square off against other Universal properties such as Dracula, Frankenstein, the Creature from the Black Lagoon, etc. That would be pretty damn cool.

Last edited by DarthPipes; July 12 2008 at 06:47 AM.
Old July 12 2008, 07:15 AM   #57
Messianni
Commodore

View Messianni's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Messianni Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Messianni

I gave it an Average or had we done it by letter grades a B. I had a lot of fun watching it and I love Ron Perlman. The script was... ok. As someone mentioned I wish there had been a little more of an effective comedic flair as their was in the first one.

I'm not sure if it was the script or her delivery but Selma Blair was, for me, the weakest point of the film. There were a few lines that she gave that fell flat.
Old July 12 2008, 04:57 PM   #58
Superman
Fleet Captain

DarthPipes wrote: View Post
Yeah, I thought him and Manning would have been on better terms but they're back at square one in this film.

About a possible third movie, del Toro has said in the past that he would love to have Hellboy square off against other Universal properties such as Dracula, Frankenstein, the Creature from the Black Lagoon, etc. That would be pretty damn cool.
I remember reading this as well. Did you notice the both Bride of Frankenstein and Creature from the Black Lagoon playing on TVs in the film?

Might be a hint of the future...

\S/
Superman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12 2008, 05:17 PM   #59
Mr. Adventure
Admiral

They should save The Creature From the Black Lagoon for an Abe Sapien spin-off.
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12 2008, 06:09 PM   #60
DarthPipes
Rear Admiral

Superman wrote: View Post
DarthPipes wrote: View Post

I remember reading this as well. Did you notice the both Bride of Frankenstein and Creature from the Black Lagoon playing on TVs in the film?

Might be a hint of the future...

\S/
Yes. They were very noticeable on the TV screens.

I wouldn't mind an Abe Sapien spin-off myself.

According to Boxofficemjo, Hellboy II got off to a very good start with almost $13.8 million dollars its first day.