Trek Actor Wins Emmy
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Retro Watches
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

New DS9 eBook To Debut
By: T'Bonz on Aug 25

Trek Ice Cube Maker and Shot Glasses
By: T'Bonz on Aug 25

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

View Poll Results: Grade the movie...
Excellent 25 42.37%
Above Average 21 35.59%
Average 6 10.17%
Below Average 6 10.17%
Poor 1 1.69%
Voters: 59. You may not vote on this poll

Old July 11 2008, 03:44 PM   #31
Chris_Johnston
Captain

View Chris_Johnston's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Chris_Johnston Send a message via Yahoo to Chris_Johnston
Re: Hellboy II: The Golden Army - Grading & Discussion

Review: Hooray for 'Hellboy II' - CNN.com
Old July 11 2008, 03:54 PM   #32
Emher
Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Emher Send a message via Yahoo to Emher

I'm so jealous of you guys getting to see it now! We have to wait until SEPTEMBER for some evil reason!
Old July 11 2008, 04:10 PM   #33
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral

JacksonArcher wrote: View Post
Captain Craig wrote: View Post
Del Torro has not laid this out like Nolan has with Batman so your good to go and not worry about feeling lost.
Huh? I doubt if you go into The Dark Knight if not having seen Batman Begins that you would be very confused.
I wasn't intentionally implying one would be. What reviews I've read keep mentioning about how well set up BB is for TDK that it sounds like for those already in the loop the progression is seamless.

Luke Lightsaber wrote: View Post
Chris_Johnston wrote: View Post
^ Then how come you rated the new movie as Poor?
I'm sure it will be.
Ok, in an instance like this I'd like a mod to if at all possible delete his uninformed vote from the poll. Its clearly a trolling vote that serves no point to advance discussion within the thread about the subject.
Captain Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11 2008, 04:17 PM   #34
LitmusDragon
Commodore

I've never seen the first movie, but kind of want to go see this one since there's nothing else much going on this weekend. I get the impression this is one of those sequels where it's not necessary to have seen the first movie, is that accurate?
LitmusDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11 2008, 04:20 PM   #35
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral

^^^
Correct. See it. You won't feel lost.
Captain Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11 2008, 04:34 PM   #36
Chris_Johnston
Captain

View Chris_Johnston's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Chris_Johnston Send a message via Yahoo to Chris_Johnston

^^^ True, but don't cheat yourself: Rent/Buy the DVD!
Old July 11 2008, 05:09 PM   #37
Dusty Ayres
Commodore

Saw it last night (12:01, AMC Yonge & Dundas in Toronto.) Amazing, and also amazingly funny. Didn't go to the bathroom once. Might see it again.
Dusty Ayres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11 2008, 05:11 PM   #38
Neroon
Mod of balance

Kegek wrote: View Post
The first Hellboy film is also worth seeing. It's a solid superhero film with a likeable lead and some del Toro flair. Am anticipating this film, it's released later this month here.
I DVR'ed it last ngiht, so I plan on watching it soon. Not certain as to when I will make it ot the theatres to see "Hellboy II", but it's a start.
- Proverbs 12:20
Neroon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11 2008, 05:30 PM   #39
Chris_Johnston
Captain

Neroon wrote: View Post
I DVR'ed it last night, so I plan on watching it soon.
Wait a sec... You're gonna be watching the TV version? With commercials?
Nawww, dude, get the DVD!
Old July 11 2008, 05:48 PM   #40
Chris_Johnston
Captain

Dusty Ayres wrote: View Post
Didn't go to the bathroom once.
... On second thought, never mind.

Last edited by Chris_Johnston; July 11 2008 at 06:03 PM.
Chris_Johnston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11 2008, 05:55 PM   #41
steveman
Fleet Captain

Overall, I'd say it was an entertaining, fun comic-book movie that improves upon its predecessor like a sequel should. It definitely ranks up there, but some pacing and plot problems hold it from being truly fantastic.
These were the things that factored in to me giving it an Above Average as well.

If there's one thing that felt weak in this movie, it was del Toro's screenplay. The pacing felt a little "start-and-stop" the whole movie. Though I certainly enjoyed what was happening onscreen, I could never really get in-sync with it. A great movie will draw you in completely; Hellboy II grabbed my eyes, but I had trouble getting similarly involved with the story aspects.

And while I liked how del Toro gave us the origins of the Golden Army and introduced us to the major players in it (cleverly through John Hurt's nightime story to a young Hellboy back in 1955) those things and people we heard about in the story -- namely Prince Nuada -- weren't nearly as satisfying in the movie itself. Nuada had the potential to be an interesting, multi-layered villain, but instead comes across as very... flat. Two-dimensional, one might say. A garden variety "moustache-twirler." The ruthless Nazi villains of the first film easily got more development than he does, and the under-developed Nuada is probably one of the movie's most disappointing failures.

Also, while the Golden Army does look amazing, the glimpse we saw of them couldn't have been longer than 10 minutes; being the namesake of the movie, I expected they'd play a larger role than they did. Instead, the Golden Army is, for the most part, an unseen entity whose primary role is making Nuada seem villanous and powerful. I can't help but be reminded of Star Trek: Nemesis; The similarities between Shinzon and Nuada, as well as the Golden Army and the Scimitar's Thalaron weapon, are certainly there.

Also... Johann Krauss. While I liked the character and the friction he had with Hellboy, it led to a decreased role for Jeffrey Tambor, who ends up being criminally underused. A real shame.

Another gripe is about the comedy in this movie; it always seemed to hit the same note. It seemed like Hellboy had chance after chance to deliver hilarious, unique one-liners... but del Toro instead just gave us some really unispired stuff, which is a disappointment considering how many sparks of fun and excitement Hellboy's quick wit shot throughout the first movie. That magic was a glaring omission in this one.

The movie may certainly have its detractors, but it has plenty of stuff to like, too. For instance, I loved this movie for the sheer quirkiness of it. It was unlike anything else I've ever seen. Where else can you find a red demon and a bipedal fish drunkenly singing a Barry Manillow song together? Hilarious! Also loved the scene where Hellboy punches out Johann's dome, and though you think he's killed him for a minute (which is hilarious to consider, given that Johann had been talking trash just seconds earlier) you remember that he's ectoplasmic and he then starts beating Hellboy with the locker doors. Great!

Regarding the cinematography, I really liked the shot where Hellboy tosses the baby he resuced up into the air -- and we see the baby flying upward, toward the camera, and the tyke fills up the entire frame before falling back down to Earth. Really liked that shot. And then there's the last shot, which freezes on Hellboy's face for a second or two before cutting to black. Something about that struck me as being very retro -- very 80's, early 90's -- which I liked; it was unexpected. And, hey, I suppose such a shot is appropriate for a movie that includes a song by Barry Manillow.

Bonus points for the abundant amount of BRPD agents. I love seeing all those guys in their identical suits. They're such great set pieces (of sorts), helping our quirky, abnormal characters stand out even more than they already do.

And special bonus points for the shots of lovely Selma Blair strutting around in her underwear... in a movie with big-budgeted monsters and effects, that just may have stole the show.

Last edited by steveman; July 11 2008 at 06:03 PM.
steveman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11 2008, 08:44 PM   #42
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral

steveman wrote: View Post

And special bonus points for the shots of lovely Selma Blair strutting around in her underwear... in a movie with big-budgeted monsters and effects, that just may have stole the show.
My enthusiasim to go see this tonight just shot up by a factor of, oh, I'll say 10,000.

Incidently, I've decided to buy Hellboy on DVD and give it a watch sometime soon, been a long time since I've seen it and it'll be fun to watch again.

Old July 11 2008, 09:23 PM   #43
wamdue
Admiral

ok not looking at any spoilers, but how come the movie isnt out till 22nd August in the UK, I thought Hollywood had gotten past its staggered release date thing
wamdue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11 2008, 09:23 PM   #44
Mr. Adventure
Admiral

steveman wrote: View Post
Overall, I'd say it was an entertaining, fun comic-book movie that improves upon its predecessor like a sequel should. It definitely ranks up there, but some pacing and plot problems hold it from being truly fantastic.
These were the things that factored in to me giving it an Above Average as well.

If there's one thing that felt weak in this movie, it was del Toro's screenplay. The pacing felt a little "start-and-stop" the whole movie. Though I certainly enjoyed what was happening onscreen, I could never really get in-sync with it. A great movie will draw you in completely; Hellboy II grabbed my eyes, but I had trouble getting similarly involved with the story aspects.
I agree for the most part here, I think it had a bit of sequelitis, the happenings were grander but the charm was weaker than the first film. I think the film was less grounded than before as well, while it's cool that del Toro didn't hold back, it also might have made the material a little harder to relate.

I found myself really in awe of some of the FX stuff on display and del Toro had it cranked to 11. This is definitely a movie for your inner 10-year-old. I suppose that's true of the surrounding fluff in the movie as well, it just didn't feel quite "adult" enough sometimes. But the stuff for your 10-year-old makes up for a lot,

Family Guy's Seth MacFarlane did a pretty good job with Johann Krauss (spelled with an SS). Doug Jones' voice worked OK as well, not David Hyde Pierce, but not bad. Did Perlman look more dimunitive in this one or is that just me? As mentioned before Selma was hot in more ways than one.

The goblin prince and his blade had me thinking about how cool an Elric movie would be!
Mr. Adventure is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 11 2008, 11:13 PM   #45
JacksonArcher
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to JacksonArcher

I agree that there was something a bit off with Hellboy's physicality this time around...he definitely seemed a bit smaller scale.