Retro Review: Shadows and Symbols
By: Michelle on Sep 27

Meyer: Revitalizing Star Trek
By: T'Bonz on Sep 26

Trek Costumes To Be Auctioned
By: T'Bonz on Sep 25

Hulu Snaps up Abrams-Produced Drama
By: T'Bonz on Sep 25

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

View Poll Results: Grade the movie...
Excellent 25 42.37%
Above Average 21 35.59%
Average 6 10.17%
Below Average 6 10.17%
Poor 1 1.69%
Voters: 59. You may not vote on this poll

Old July 9 2008, 03:35 PM   #1
Chris_Johnston
Captain

View Chris_Johnston's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Chris_Johnston Send a message via Yahoo to Chris_Johnston
Hellboy II: The Golden Army - Grading & Discussion

Welcome to the grading & discussion thread for Hellboy II: The Golden Army.
***SPOILERS AHEAD***

With a signature blend of action, humor and character-based spectacle, the saga of the world’s toughest, kitten-loving hero continues to unfold in Hellboy II: The Golden Army. Bigger muscle, badder weapons and more ungodly villains arrive in an epic vision of imagination from Oscar®-nominated director Guillermo del Toro (Pan's Labyrinth, Hellboy).

After an ancient truce existing between humankind and the invisible realm of the fantastic is broken, hell on Earth is ready to erupt. A ruthless leader who treads the world above and the one below defies his bloodline and awakens an unstoppable army of creatures. Now, it’s up to the planet’s toughest, roughest superhero to battle the merciless dictator and his marauders. He may be red. He may be horned. He may be misunderstood. But when you need the job done right, it’s time to call in Hellboy (Ron Perlman).

Along with his expanding team in the Bureau for Paranormal Research and Defense—pyrokinetic girlfriend Liz (Selma Blair), aquatic empath Abe (Doug Jones) and protoplasmic mystic Johann—the BPRD will travel between the surface strata and the unseen magical one, where creatures of fantasy become corporeal. And Hellboy, a creature of two worlds who’s accepted by neither, must choose between the life he knows and an unknown destiny that beckons him.

Official Site
Trailers
IMDb Entry
Wikipedia Entry
Rotten Tomatoes Page
Old July 9 2008, 04:15 PM   #2
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral

Re: Hellboy II: The Golden Army - Grading & Discussion

I voted Excellent in lieu of letter grades due to poll options.
My letter grade would be A-

This is a really good movie. I enjoyed it much more than the first. Del Torro really has chosen projects that allow him to fully realize the things he is good at as director. His resume and experienc since the first Hellboy have added to make this installment that much richer.

The movie starts with a flashback scene to 1955 where a young Hellboy still being raised by John Hurts fatherly Trevor character and is recounting the story of The Golden Army as a bed time story. This of course does a few things. Allows Hurt to be in the movie cause he was critical in the first, sets up what the golden army is and shows us Hellboy as a child with all the trappings of any child.

We move to the present where an auction is being held. Up for bid is a piece of the royal crown. The exiled prince needs all 3 pieces of the crown to activate the Golden Army. His father had broken up the crown which controlled the mechanical army after a truce with the humans hundreds of years ago.

He needs his fathers piece and his twin sisters piece so he sets off to obtain them. Meanwhile the auction raid has set the B.P.R.D. on the trail of what exactly may be happening. In order to follow their clues and confirm their suspicions they seek out the mystically hidden, nearly mythical Troll market.

Events unspool from there and we learn that they have to go to Ireland because that his where they mystical portal is that grants access to The Golden Army.

I'm omitting some elements but want to save the finale from you in my review. I really liked the final fight between Hellboy and the Prince. The setting and sequence were a real thrill to watch. I will say that I think the one thing keeping me from making this movie on par with Iron Man, which I gave an A grade, is that the full threat promised of the Golden Army never is really explored as a threat to mankind. We get glimpses in that final act but i think had something happened to make The Golden Army a bigger threat to mankind it would've been that much better. Although before Hellboy fights the Prince he and his B.P.R.D. comrades have a good fight with the golden army and the armies power is evident.

There is also a spoiler about Liz that is worth saving for the film. But if you got to know I will code this.

A great comedy scene that is timed perfectly admist the chaos in the movie comes about mid point of the film. Two Words: Barry Manilow!

This is a good movie and deserves to not get lost in the shuffle after The Dark Knight hits. Check it out!

Last edited by Captain Craig; July 9 2008 at 11:11 PM.
Captain Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9 2008, 05:35 PM   #3
PsychoPere
Vice Admiral

I plan on seeing this with a friend Saturday night after I get off work. I thought the first one was fun and absolutely loved Pan's Labyrinth, so I'll see anything del Toro does from this point forward. Really looking forward to seeing this.
PsychoPere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10 2008, 03:46 PM   #4
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral

Midnight showings start tonight in my town, any others?
If so anyone planning to catch it then? Or at least over the weekend.
Old July 10 2008, 04:02 PM   #5
PsychoPere
Vice Admiral

As my previous post said, I had been planning on seeing it Saturday night, but I received a phone call from a friend yesterday who wants to go to the midnight premiere, so I'll be headed to the theater tonight.
PsychoPere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10 2008, 04:10 PM   #6
Chris_Johnston
Captain

View Chris_Johnston's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Chris_Johnston Send a message via Yahoo to Chris_Johnston

I was at the free screening Tuesday night at Mann's Chinese 6 in L.A. and, aside from making us sit in the first three rows (the rest were reserved for press), it absolutely rocked!
Now I have to see it again if only just to be able to sit further back.
Old July 10 2008, 05:23 PM   #7
Neroon
Mod of balance

The trailer was stunning and I can say I am definitely interested in seeing this. Del Toro's work is masterful, even though a couple of his creatures looked as if they just climbed the walls out of "Pan's Labyrinth". One thing though.... how important do you suppose it would be to have seen the original "Hellboy" ?
- Proverbs 12:20
Neroon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10 2008, 05:31 PM   #8
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral

Neroon wrote: View Post
One thing though.... how important do you suppose it would be to have seen the original "Hellboy" ?
Not very important at all.
They give a brief 2 minute recap of how Hellboy came to be here, on Earth and then jump to scene with him as boy and the movie rolls on from there. There is one brief mention of 1 character from the first movie for about 10 seconds but really seeing HB:1 is not a prerequisite at all.
Del Torro has not laid this out like Nolan has with Batman so your good to go and not worry about feeling lost.
Old July 10 2008, 05:36 PM   #9
Neroon
Mod of balance

Coolness! It's not as if I don't want to see the first film. I was wondering if I needed to pick up a copy of it beforehand.
Old July 10 2008, 06:44 PM   #10
Chris_Johnston
Captain

^ Well, the 2-disc Collector's Edition is jam-packed with del Toro's imagination in the special features and easter eggs.
And the cast commentary is my favorite of all the DVDs I own!
Old July 10 2008, 07:12 PM   #11
Neroon
Mod of balance

The commentaries - both cast and director, etc - are one of the biggest reasons for me to get a more developed DVD set even if I already have a "bare bones" version. What struck me about the trailer here is the sheer beauty of del Toro's vision. All of these creatures looked incredibly fantastic, in a way I haven't seen from others like Peter Jackson or others. Don't mistake me here... I love PJ's vision in the LOTR movies, but it's nice to see fantasy expressed in a visually very different way.
Old July 10 2008, 07:50 PM   #12
Kegek
Rear Admiral

Neroon wrote: View Post
The commentaries - both cast and director, etc - are one of the biggest reasons for me to get a more developed DVD set even if I already have a "bare bones" version. What struck me about the trailer here is the sheer beauty of del Toro's vision. All of these creatures looked incredibly fantastic, in a way I haven't seen from others like Peter Jackson or others. Don't mistake me here... I love PJ's vision in the LOTR movies, but it's nice to see fantasy expressed in a visually very different way.
Agreed on both counts. Part of the reason I'm looking forward to The Hobbit, I'm really curious as to what del Toro will bring to the table.

The first Hellboy film is also worth seeing. It's a solid superhero film with a likeable lead and some del Toro flair. Am anticipating this film, it's released later this month here.

- All About Eve.
Kegek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10 2008, 08:24 PM   #13
Carpe Occasio
Fleet Captain

Nice article about Helllboy's Perlman -

http://www.cnn.com/2008/SHOWBIZ/Movi....ap/index.html
Carpe Occasio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10 2008, 08:26 PM   #14
Superman
Fleet Captain

Okay, I haven't seen HB II yet, but in the spirit of keeping the forum uncluttered with too many threads on one topic, I have a request.

Over on the Hellboy II website, there is a beautiful wallpaper of the truly awesome Angel of Death from the movie. For some reason, I can't access the downloads portion of the site on my laptop, though I was able to on my wife's computer...before it went on the fritz.

So, could someone go to the site and download the wallpaper, then post it here as a link? I'd like the 1280.

And this isn't just for me. If you've seen the flick or just snippets of the Angel of Death in the previews, you'll want to make this your new wallpaper. Trust me.

\S/
Superman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10 2008, 08:32 PM   #15
Carpe Occasio
Fleet Captain

^ Here's the direct link. Maybe that will work for you -

http://www.hellboymovie.com/media/im..._1280x1024.jpg
Carpe Occasio is offline   Reply With Quote