RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 137,919
Posts: 5,331,542
Members: 24,557
Currently online: 605
Newest member: PlayerUp

TrekToday headlines

Retro Review: Inquisition
By: Michelle on Jul 12

Cubify Star Trek 3DMe Mini Figurines
By: T'Bonz on Jul 11

Latest Official Starships Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Jul 10

Seven of Nine Bobble Head
By: T'Bonz on Jul 9

Pegg The Prankster
By: T'Bonz on Jul 9

More Trek Stars Join Unbelievable!!!!!
By: T'Bonz on Jul 8

Star Trek #35 Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 8

New ThinkGeek Trek Apparel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Star Trek Movie Prop Auction
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old July 18 2008, 01:20 AM   #196
Therin of Andor
Admiral
 
Therin of Andor's Avatar
 
Location: New Therin Park, Andor (via Australia)
View Therin of Andor's Twitter Profile
Re: Shore Leave

Vixen wrote: View Post
Don't they actually only have like 2?
Well, even we have more than two.

But I heard it was Inuit shades of white, not consistency of snow.
__________________
Thiptho lapth! Ian (Entire post is personal opinion)
The Andor Files @ http://andorfiles.blogspot.com/
http://therinofandor.blogspot.com/
Therin of Andor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18 2008, 01:33 AM   #197
Therin of Andor
Admiral
 
Therin of Andor's Avatar
 
Location: New Therin Park, Andor (via Australia)
View Therin of Andor's Twitter Profile
Re: Shore Leave

Ktrek wrote: View Post
I like TPBs and Hardcovers but I will buy whatever Pocket releases because I love Star Trek books, and also because I collect them. I apologize if this seems harsh or uncaring over other people's plights or financial conditions but that's how I feel.
I'm with you. I started collecting in December 1979, when I first left teachers college and was facing four years of uncertainty as to when my permanent job offer would come, and when regular money would start flowing, but I scrimped and saved whatever I could and always seemed to find enough to feed my ST book buying/reading habit. (Mind you, my Bantam and Ballantine collection is mostly second hand).

Maybe the reason I chose never to own a car, or start a family, is why I continue to collect today. Because I can afford to, and because I was so busy collecting that I missed other "Sliding Doors" opportunities and did other things with my personal life.

I remember being in two minds when "Spock's World" came out. It was such a big deal! Most of the time ST hardcovers have pleased me by being better-than-average stories but now that I have almost one entire bookcase of only ST hardcovers and TPBs, with all the hundreds of MMPBs in several other shelving units, I often think about how much i could have saved had the hardcovers been MMPBs instead.

My relatives know never to try to buy a ST hardcover as a gift - mainly because I've already bought and read it - but I can see that these books are usually attempting to serve a different demographic to MMPB ST fiction.
__________________
Thiptho lapth! Ian (Entire post is personal opinion)
The Andor Files @ http://andorfiles.blogspot.com/
http://therinofandor.blogspot.com/
Therin of Andor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18 2008, 01:34 AM   #198
Trent Roman
Rear Admiral
 
Trent Roman's Avatar
 
Location: The Palace of Pernicious Pleasures
Re: Shore Leave

^ Another issue is the highly synthetic nature of Inuktitut as a language. Those different permutations for types or shades of snow are small morphemes which are then agglomerated into larger words, which will sometimes be the equivalent of a sentence in terms of the information it packs (like an extreme form of German, I suppose). Because you can create all kinds of words usign a number of smaller parts, those who didn't understand the way Inuktitut works thought there was a bewildering array of terms designating snow, when it fact there was a more conventional amount arranged in different ways and combined with different descriptors into single 'words'.

Fictitiously yours, Trent Roman
__________________
Obdurants and Amusings - Behind the Shampoo Curtain
Trent Roman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18 2008, 02:48 AM   #199
Christopher
Writer
 
Christopher's Avatar
 
Re: Shore Leave

A list of Inuit words for snow and snow-related concepts:

http://www.ecst.csuchico.edu/~atman/...now-words.html

Which also lists a comparable number of English words for the same range of things, demonstrating that it's not really so remarkable.
__________________
Christopher L. Bennett Homepage -- Site update 4/8/14 including annotations for Rise of the Federation: Tower of Babel

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 18 2008, 03:43 AM   #200
Dancing Doctor
Admiral
 
Dancing Doctor's Avatar
 
Location: At the Militant Janeway True Path Devotees Compound
View Dancing Doctor's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Dancing Doctor
Re: Shore Leave

Uzani risen. Uzani at Kyjo.
__________________
‎"Captain, we are being hailed. That is, if you don't mind...if it isn't too intrusive."

Loyal member of the Militant Janeway True Path Devotees
Dancing Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18 2008, 09:29 AM   #201
Baerbel Haddrell
Commodore
 
Baerbel Haddrell's Avatar
 
Location: GB
Re: Shore Leave

Ktrek wrote: View Post

I will say however...I am a little disappointed that the Crucible trilogy is coming out in hardcover after the fact because I would have been one of those who bought it in HC if it had originally been released that way. As it is Pocket will likely lose their very first HC sale from me on this title. I loved the McCoy entry but the other two....UGH!!!

Kevin

I am feeling a bit torn here. I have bought the individual books but so far haven`t read them because of lack of time. If I would have known about the hardcover (even with additional material!) in hindsight I probably would have waited.

On the other hand, if most people would have waited for the hardcover and not have bought the individual books - there would be no hardcover.

It is the same problem when people wait for the trade paperback instead of buying single comic books.

Therefore, in spite of my mixed feelings (also because I don`t have a limitless budget for books) I decided to be just happy for the author that these books have been so successful. I haven`t decided yet if I will buy the hardcover. I probably will if I find the book at a reduced price.
__________________
Bleach (Ichigo to Muramasa) "We all make mistakes. You just have to accept what happened and fix what you can."
Baerbel Haddrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18 2008, 10:33 AM   #202
Therin of Andor
Admiral
 
Therin of Andor's Avatar
 
Location: New Therin Park, Andor (via Australia)
View Therin of Andor's Twitter Profile
Re: Shore Leave

Baerbel Haddrell wrote: View Post
if most people would have waited for the hardcover and not have bought the individual books - there would be no hardcover.
It's probably also aimed at new fans swept away by JJ Abrams' "Star Trek" next May, hungry for more to read than a movie novelization. Interesting that there's no mention of a cover artist. I recall joking here a few months ago that these books could get released with Urban/Quinto/Pine covers. Maybe they will!?
__________________
Thiptho lapth! Ian (Entire post is personal opinion)
The Andor Files @ http://andorfiles.blogspot.com/
http://therinofandor.blogspot.com/
Therin of Andor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18 2008, 02:41 PM   #203
Lorraine Anderson
Writer
 
Lorraine Anderson's Avatar
 
Location: Three Rivers, Michigan
Re: Shore Leave

Whinge... never thought of looking in a dictionary. I thought I had run into internet slang again! Thanks. Sorry for the derailment.
__________________
_________
SNW8, "Hero"

http://www.lorrainejanderson.com
Lorraine Anderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19 2008, 08:26 PM   #204
Jason Barney
Cadet
 
Re: Shore Leave

I went to Shore Leave and it was awesome. I have to admit as far as a sci-fi convention goes, I skipped a lot of the extra stuff. Seeing people dressed up like Klingons was really cool, but my main purpose in going was to meet so many of the writers I have come to respect over the years, and to say hello to many of the friends I've found on the net.

I was a great experience. Ended up skipping out on all the guest speakers, but made a point of going to almost all of the Pocket Books writing panels. It was really worth it.
Jason Barney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20 2008, 04:20 PM   #205
ronny
Fleet Captain
 
ronny's Avatar
 
Location: San Francisco, CA
View ronny's Twitter Profile
Re: Shore Leave

Therin of Andor wrote: View Post
ronny wrote: View Post
I'm looking at my copy of Creative Couplings, a TPB which I'm reading now and it's got a cracked spine. Ditto for System of the World. Not sure what your point is.
I'm a librarian - and I've never cracked a spine on a personal book yet.
Again, and your point? I mean really, I brought up Cryptonomicon in mmpb form and you said something like it's hard to read with out cracking the spine like that was some form of argument for it coming out in trade form, which it has so people have a choice. I was pointing out I've got some trades with cracked spines so a trade format isn't going to magically prevent spines from cracking. Now you're saying it doesn't matter what format the book is in, you are not going to crack a spine.

So apparently book formats and cracking spines have nothing to do with each other. But I thank you for your response.
__________________
If you want people to respect your ideas, get better ideas. - John Scalzi

My Star Trek reading progress.
ronny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22 2008, 03:57 PM   #206
Therin of Andor
Admiral
 
Therin of Andor's Avatar
 
Location: New Therin Park, Andor (via Australia)
View Therin of Andor's Twitter Profile
Re: Shore Leave

ronny wrote: View Post
Again, and your point?
Do we always have to have "a" point? It was an observation, made during a discussion. It wasn't necessarily a debate.

Trying to cram lots of words into a MMPB can wind up with a very chunky book, and it's very easy to crack the spine of a chunky book. Trade paperbacks seem to allow the font size to be larger and the spine to be more durable, in my experience. But you still have to be careful with any paperback, if you wish to maintain near-mint condition.
__________________
Thiptho lapth! Ian (Entire post is personal opinion)
The Andor Files @ http://andorfiles.blogspot.com/
http://therinofandor.blogspot.com/
Therin of Andor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22 2008, 07:08 PM   #207
ToddCam
Captain
 
ToddCam's Avatar
 
Location: Philadelphia, PA, USA
Re: Shore Leave

Mike Winters wrote: View Post
I was lucky and my wife let me go to Shore Leave this year (sort of) as it usually falls on our Anniversary Weekend. This year, she let me drive down Friday night so I could attend the Pocket Book reveal and Meet the Pros. Then I had to turn around and drive back to Philadelphia that same night. Let me tell you, it is not a fun thing to do after a full work day.
My friend and I did Shore Leave like that for three years. But last year, with no new book to get at the place, and with him giving blood and then driving back to Philly, and him freaking out, he decided he never wanted to do that again. So I missed it. I would drive, except I don't have a license. Ah, well.
ToddCam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22 2008, 08:31 PM   #208
Sxottlan
Commodore
 
Sxottlan's Avatar
 
Location: Stealing Lu Bu's Horse
View Sxottlan's Twitter Profile
Re: Shore Leave

I like the focus of the upcoming schedule. I'll most likely get most of those books. I'll wait to wait to hear more about the TOS one before I get it. Love the Vanguard cover, also the cover for A Singular Destiny. Also glad to get two DS9R books next year and that they're not pushing one back for the sake of just doing one DS9R book a year.
__________________
Out of 4 stars:
The Poisoned Chalice: ****
A Ceremony of Losses: ***
The Crimson Shadow: ***
Sxottlan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22 2008, 11:06 PM   #209
Christopher
Writer
 
Christopher's Avatar
 
Re: Shore Leave

Sxottlan wrote: View Post
Also glad to get two DS9R books next year and that they're not pushing one back for the sake of just doing one DS9R book a year.
Why would you think they'd do that? Actually if you look at the whole '09 schedule, TOS, DS9, VGR, Titan, and Vanguard are all getting two books.
__________________
Christopher L. Bennett Homepage -- Site update 4/8/14 including annotations for Rise of the Federation: Tower of Babel

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 23 2008, 07:02 AM   #210
Sxottlan
Commodore
 
Sxottlan's Avatar
 
Location: Stealing Lu Bu's Horse
View Sxottlan's Twitter Profile
Re: Shore Leave

Christopher wrote: View Post

Why would you think they'd do that?
*Shrug*
__________________
Out of 4 stars:
The Poisoned Chalice: ****
A Ceremony of Losses: ***
The Crimson Shadow: ***
Sxottlan is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
shore leave

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 05:06 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.